996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Yesterday, I Forgot to Worry

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Arne Klinge
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cannot agree more, when I worry about my 911, I want to sell it. When I drive my 911 I am never going to sell it. It's a hate love relationship, a bit like owning an Alfa Romeo, just that those do not start. Heart and soul kind of thing, and what a size of that heart and the soul. Just love it, and hate it, but just a little bit.

My reasons for owning a Porsche.
1. It sticks to the road
2. It's got hips
3. Did I mention the hips
4. Decent performance
5. When five year old boys stop at the pedestrian crossing and point asking their dads, then you know, you just know it is a special car
6. Chicks call it a frog

Reasons for not owning a Porsche anymore
1. As long as those above weigh more it does not matter. You change your mind when you go in it anyway.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:53 AM
Copilot
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 5CHN3LL
Another reason to love the 996: The 70-100 time in 3rd gear. In the same way I have a pretty good grasp of chemistry and physiology and yet I have no clue how the female brain functions, the 996 does things with "only" 300hp that don't always seem to make sense.
It sneaks up on you! Driving on Hwy 101 on the Oregon coast today, I dropped it into 3rd to get by some RVs in one of the passing sections... next thing I know, I look down and I'm doing 105. It surprised me quite a bit. I slowed down... a bit
Old 08-06-2014, 09:54 AM
phil996cab99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm really cutting loose now.

This morning I'm packing for a laundry run and grab the bleach. "No, no, no" instantly comes to mind. "This is your Porsche, think about it, bleach stains for the rest of its life."

Bottom line, I'm taking the bleach. It has a lid on it. I can be spontaneous, but not crazy. Not just any lid. I poured it into a more fail safe container. I call that a healthy compromise.

Rest assured I'm not entering the beater zone. Tomorrow I start some serious detailing. Been driving around for weeks with no front bumper cover (fixed both rad fans).
Old 08-06-2014, 11:49 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by phil996cab99
I'm really cutting loose now.

This morning I'm packing for a laundry run and grab the bleach. "No, no, no" instantly comes to mind. "This is your Porsche, think about it, bleach stains for the rest of its life."

Bottom line, I'm taking the bleach. It has a lid on it. I can be spontaneous, but not crazy. Not just any lid. I poured it into a more fail safe container. I call that a healthy compromise.

Rest assured I'm not entering the beater zone. Tomorrow I start some serious detailing. Been driving around for weeks with no front bumper cover (fixed both rad fans).
I've taken some mulch home from the home improvement store in my 996 before. As long as you clean it up afterwards then it won't become a beater.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
I've taken some mulch home from the home improvement store in my 996 before. As long as you clean it up afterwards then it won't become a beater.
Porsches make great work horses!
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Gulliver
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If any of you start getting overcome with worry, just crack a beer and go read on the Ferrari 328/348 forums. You'll be back to normal in no time!
Old 09-12-2014, 08:40 PM
RaginBull
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gulliver
If any of you start getting overcome with worry, just crack a beer and go read on the Ferrari 328/348 forums. You'll be back to normal in no time!
He's not kidding. I've been seriously considering buying an F355 and they have a similar issue with the valve guides/headers which can cause a catastrophic engine failure. Rebuilding a Ferrari motor can run you up to $45K easily.

The average cost of maintenance for a driven F355 is between $7 - 10K annually. As bad as it sounds, I still want to take the risk of buying one. Case and Point, the 996 IMS crap got nothing on a $45K repair bill.

Quick Reply: Yesterday, I Forgot to Worry