Sponsored by:

996 depreciation... Not.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:40 AM
johnkuz
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
Cheapest Porsche you ever buy will be the most expensive car you ever own.
While in some cases I am sure this is true I would suspect in most it is not. Especially when talking about the 996. Now I love my guards red 2004 c2 cab but my wife SUV cost almost 2 times as much and my f150 truck at least 50% more. I never heard "wow you can afford an SUV". But I sure hear it about by cab.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:29 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
I also disagree about the 997 appreciation.

You can already get 2007 cars in sub $35k range. 997 and 991 will follow the 996 depreciation curve, Turbo and RS cars being the exceptions.

993 and air cooled cars are appreciating for few very specific reasons. One, they are air cooled. Two, good air cooled cars are becoming increasingly rare due to production numbers and age. Three, air cooled 911s were the "white unicorns" when they were being produced, and even more so now.

With 996 you saw Porsche shift from exclusive niche manufacturer to a full line auto manufacturer. Today Porsche has full line of cars rivaling Mercedes and BMW. They have SUVs, sedans, coupes, roadsters and they are continuing to expand the line-up. Porsche is now becoming a "regular" luxury brand, and not a 911 "white unicorn" maker. This brand change removed a large portion of the 911 mystique and appeal.

Bluntly speaking, base 911 will soon be seen as a base 3 series of sort (albeit very expensive 3 series). I am perfectly fine with this, I believe that Porsche did a right thing by moving into mainstream with its business. Porsche cars are capable and unique enough to satisfy my driving needs. Mainstream removes a lot of "look at me!" stigma that followed 911 before 996.
What I'm wondering is why Porsche has to do this now?

I can see why it was a necessity when they were independent but now that they're part of the VW Corp why do they need to break away from their original brand?
Old 07-28-2014, 10:56 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
What I'm wondering is why Porsche has to do this now?

I can see why it was a necessity when they were independent but now that they're part of the VW Corp why do they need to break away from their original brand?
If it were your business would you stop producing the lines that are your best sellers and profit centers?

Look at the non-sports car lines as the funding for the sports cars, because they are to some extent. Besides that, VAG already has enough boutique marks under it's umbrella so it has to be a big win for them that Porsche can fund themselves by bringing in the high end buyers as well as a good mix of upper middle class as well.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:08 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 302 Posts

I don't think it's a reach to expect the large displacement flat 6 design to eventually be replaced given the trend towards less cylinders/turbos and hybrid drive systems. I wonder what that will do to water cooled flat 6 Porsche values?

Quick Reply: 996 depreciation... Not.