996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

1 drop of oil :) on my 01 C4 ???????

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 09:10 PM
yellowbmr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1 drop of oil :) on my 01 C4 ???????

i thought Porsche's don't drop oil. I noticed this yesterday and looked from underneath, i saw a drop of oil on the floor of my garage. (on the passenger side, under the engine)
I am kind of worried, is this fixable? have you guys experienced this on 01 C4's. I figured i don't buy the 1999 996, since that was the 1st year & they have fixed problems on 00 & 01. but oil drops? that worries me. Should i take it in & what is involved in fixing oil leaks. THe car is under warranty, but i would like to know what causes oil leak & what you guys have done to fix.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:40 PM
bschen
Advanced

Porsches are known for leaking oil. Especially the older air cooled models. I have a 02 C2 that had a few drops on the driver's side. It ended up to be the cam cover and it was fixed under warranty in 2 days. Originally they thought it was the rear main seal but it wasn't. I guess these typically leak in the middle. Anyways, you should bring it in and get it checked out.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:56 PM
safetywork
Instructor

Yellowbmr, I had the same thing. My issue was the return tube. The bad news would be if the oil drip came from the center of the engine.... RMS (maybe). If the oil drip is on the side it's probably something else.

As for the Porsches dripping oil, its true for the aircooled models but its not for the watercooled. I had a '78 SC coupe for several years, so I know about the dripping oil.

By the way, if it is the return tubes, you might as well replace all six. You would already be paying for the labor, the parts aren't that expensive.

Quick Reply: 1 drop of oil :) on my 01 C4 ???????