996 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth OBD Monitor / iPhone App

Old 06-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
fspadafino
User

Default Bluetooth OBD Monitor / iPhone App

Has anyone tried anything like this in their 996?

https://www.automatic.com/

It says it is compatible with our cars, but doesn't support measuring fuel levels.

Frank
fspadafino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:53 AM   #2
DaveCarrera4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not that one, but the cheaper version: eBay Bluetooth obd 2 adapter for $10, and several free aps for diagnostics, and the $7 aLapHD for the track...it's amazing! But you have to pay a LOT more for the iPhone aps that are similar...sorry bout that.

2002 Turbo - Basalt Black Metallic / 2003 Carrera 4S - Speed Yellow / 1955 356 Continental 1500 - Rust Red
DaveCarrera4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:31 AM   #3
RRocket
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, I use a similar system on my car..except my phone is Android.

I use a wireless OBD II as pictured below. And I use Torque Pro as my app....a VERY good app. The amount of things you can do with it is impressive..including the ability to overlay a nearly infinite amount of gauges and data over video. Datalogging, recording/clearing check engine codes, etc. Customizable to suit your needs. I LOVE IT!!

http://www.checksumm.com/wp-content/...500_AA300_.jpg
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:34 AM   #4
fspadafino
User

Thanks! I haven't bought anything yet and will check out those options.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
Seeeu911
User

I have the ELM 327 wifi for iPhone also from Amazon. Lots of cool apps this one is ODB Fusion, and dashboards. I found it hit my knee and the flashing LEDS at night were annoying. so I got this extension cable and tucked the ELM behind the console.
Attached Images

Last edited by Seeeu911; 06-20-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Seeeu911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
wucash
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fspadafino View Post
Has anyone tried anything like this in their 996?

https://www.automatic.com/

It says it is compatible with our cars, but doesn't support measuring fuel levels.

Frank
Go with wifi instead, it will work the same but way cheaper to get it working on iphone. I have a bluetooth one but I have Android Head Unit. Its great, I had CEL come up few times I just go in and reset it at the next stop lights. The best part is that CEL code stays in the computer so I can check all the info on a PST2 when I get home.
wucash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
eagle11401
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRocket View Post
Yes, I use a similar system on my car..except my phone is Android.

I use a wireless OBD II as pictured below. And I use Torque Pro as my app....a VERY good app. The amount of things you can do with it is impressive..including the ability to overlay a nearly infinite amount of gauges and data over video. Datalogging, recording/clearing check engine codes, etc. Customizable to suit your needs. I LOVE IT!!

http://www.checksumm.com/wp-content/...500_AA300_.jpg
I have this dongle and use the "torque" app. Once you get it set up it gives you quite a bit of information. I like it because I can swap profiles/cars easily with it.
eagle11401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #8
scorchpa
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeeu911 View Post
I have the ELM 327 wifi for iPhone also from Amazon. Lots of cool apps this one is ODB Fusion, and dashboards. I found it hit my knee and the flashing LEDS at night were annoying. so I got this extension cable and tucked the ELM behind the console.
exact same thing I did... However I was worried about battery drain since it would be continuously powered by OBD, so I cut the power wire on the extension cable, and spliced it into the radio's power source. I also have a head unit that runs Android, so I can display the extra gauges etc from Torque directly on there.
scorchpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:51 PM   #9
fspadafino
User

Thanks everyone, I may try the automatic app/dongle...
Old 03-18-2017, 01:01 AM   #10
wyovino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Resurrecting an old thread.

I just bought another ODB II WiFi device that I really like. My old one was too long and it had flashing lights like a disco. I was always kicking it when getting out of the car.

The one I just bought has a very low profile - about 5/8 inch and is not visible when sitting. It works great with my iPhone and DashCommand app, though it says it also works with Android and other apps.

Pros:
It automatically shuts off after 30 minutes, so no (or very little) drain on the battery. You can turn it off manually if you want.

Works perfectly with my iPhone and DashCommand app, and provides a lot of useful data. True speed (without the offset). Intake temperature. Coolant Temp, Fuel stats, MAF stats, and much more.

Very small profile, so it won't ever get in the way.

Cost: $27

Cons:
It doesn't automatically turn on when you start the car. There is a button on the front that is easy to press so it's not a big deal, but it would be nice if it came on automatically.

My iPhone doesn't automatically connect to the unit's WiFi network. This may be a setting on my phone, but I'm not sure. Could also be that I'm still in range of my home WiFi when I get into the car.

The unit seems to fit in upside down, though I've heard the same thing about other devices. Not a big deal because it's not visible unless you get under the dash.

VGate iCar 2
Amazon Amazon
wyovino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:50 AM   #11
Hurdigurdiman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyovino View Post
Resurrecting an old thread.

I just bought another ODB II WiFi device that I really like. My old one was too long and it had flashing lights like a disco. I was always kicking it when getting out of the car.

The one I just bought has a very low profile - about 5/8 inch and is not visible when sitting. It works great with my iPhone and DashCommand app, though it says it also works with Android and other apps.

Pros:
It automatically shuts off after 30 minutes, so no (or very little) drain on the battery. You can turn it off manually if you want.

Works perfectly with my iPhone and DashCommand app, and provides a lot of useful data. True speed (without the offset). Intake temperature. Coolant Temp, Fuel stats, MAF stats, and much more.

Very small profile, so it won't ever get in the way.

Cost: $27

Cons:
It doesn't automatically turn on when you start the car. There is a button on the front that is easy to press so it's not a big deal, but it would be nice if it came on automatically.

My iPhone doesn't automatically connect to the unit's WiFi network. This may be a setting on my phone, but I'm not sure. Could also be that I'm still in range of my home WiFi when I get into the car.

The unit seems to fit in upside down, though I've heard the same thing about other devices. Not a big deal because it's not visible unless you get under the dash.

VGate iCar 2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is the exact same set up as I went for. I have the iPhone and Dashcommand app.
Hurdigurdiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:27 PM   #12
dan_189
User

I have one of the ELM units sitting in my car that a friend lent me but i'm yet to set it up. Although I should!, last time I tried I was having bluetooth issues with it.
dan_189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:17 AM   #13
Gator996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Does the vgate unit store or log info? I would like to use it at the track but trying to read live data could be a tad distracting.
Gator996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #14
Fracture
Addict
Rennlist Member

http://www.obdlink.com/lxbt/

iOS or Android, this has worked well for me
Fracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #15
wyovino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator996 View Post
Does the vgate unit store or log info? I would like to use it at the track but trying to read live data could be a tad distracting.
It's the app that stores the data, so any compatible ODB II device should be able to log information. The Vgate unit with DashCommand will log data.
wyovino is offline   Reply With Quote