Bluetooth OBD Monitor / iPhone App - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums



996 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth OBD Monitor / iPhone App

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
fspadafino
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 41
Default Bluetooth OBD Monitor / iPhone App

Has anyone tried anything like this in their 996?

https://www.automatic.com/

It says it is compatible with our cars, but doesn't support measuring fuel levels.

Frank
fspadafino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:53 AM   #2
DaveCarrera4
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
DaveCarrera4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,618
Default

Not that one, but the cheaper version: eBay Bluetooth obd 2 adapter for $10, and several free aps for diagnostics, and the $7 aLapHD for the track...it's amazing! But you have to pay a LOT more for the iPhone aps that are similar...sorry bout that.

2002 Turbo - Basalt Black Metallic / 2003 Carrera 4S - Speed Yellow / 1955 356 Continental 1500 - Rust Red
DaveCarrera4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:31 AM   #3
RRocket
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 40
Default

Yes, I use a similar system on my car..except my phone is Android.

I use a wireless OBD II as pictured below. And I use Torque Pro as my app....a VERY good app. The amount of things you can do with it is impressive..including the ability to overlay a nearly infinite amount of gauges and data over video. Datalogging, recording/clearing check engine codes, etc. Customizable to suit your needs. I LOVE IT!!





http://www.checksumm.com/wp-content/...500_AA300_.jpg
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:34 AM   #4
fspadafino
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 41
Default

Thanks! I haven't bought anything yet and will check out those options.
fspadafino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
Seeeu911
User
 
Seeeu911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,114
Default

I have the ELM 327 wifi for iPhone also from Amazon. Lots of cool apps this one is ODB Fusion, and dashboards. I found it hit my knee and the flashing LEDS at night were annoying. so I got this extension cable and tucked the ELM behind the console.
Attached Images
  

Last edited by Seeeu911; 06-20-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Seeeu911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
wucash
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fspadafino View Post
Has anyone tried anything like this in their 996?

https://www.automatic.com/

It says it is compatible with our cars, but doesn't support measuring fuel levels.

Frank
Go with wifi instead, it will work the same but way cheaper to get it working on iphone. I have a bluetooth one but I have Android Head Unit. Its great, I had CEL come up few times I just go in and reset it at the next stop lights. The best part is that CEL code stays in the computer so I can check all the info on a PST2 when I get home.
wucash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
eagle11401
User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRocket View Post
Yes, I use a similar system on my car..except my phone is Android.

I use a wireless OBD II as pictured below. And I use Torque Pro as my app....a VERY good app. The amount of things you can do with it is impressive..including the ability to overlay a nearly infinite amount of gauges and data over video. Datalogging, recording/clearing check engine codes, etc. Customizable to suit your needs. I LOVE IT!!





http://www.checksumm.com/wp-content/...500_AA300_.jpg
I have this dongle and use the "torque" app. Once you get it set up it gives you quite a bit of information. I like it because I can swap profiles/cars easily with it.
eagle11401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #8
scorchpa
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeeu911 View Post
I have the ELM 327 wifi for iPhone also from Amazon. Lots of cool apps this one is ODB Fusion, and dashboards. I found it hit my knee and the flashing LEDS at night were annoying. so I got this extension cable and tucked the ELM behind the console.
exact same thing I did... However I was worried about battery drain since it would be continuously powered by OBD, so I cut the power wire on the extension cable, and spliced it into the radio's power source. I also have a head unit that runs Android, so I can display the extra gauges etc from Torque directly on there.
scorchpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:51 PM   #9
fspadafino
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 41
Default

Thanks everyone, I may try the automatic app/dongle...
fspadafino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:01 AM   #10
wyovino
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
wyovino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,612
Default

Resurrecting an old thread.

I just bought another ODB II WiFi device that I really like. My old one was too long and it had flashing lights like a disco. I was always kicking it when getting out of the car.

The one I just bought has a very low profile - about 5/8 inch and is not visible when sitting. It works great with my iPhone and DashCommand app, though it says it also works with Android and other apps.

Pros:
It automatically shuts off after 30 minutes, so no (or very little) drain on the battery. You can turn it off manually if you want.

Works perfectly with my iPhone and DashCommand app, and provides a lot of useful data. True speed (without the offset). Intake temperature. Coolant Temp, Fuel stats, MAF stats, and much more.

Very small profile, so it won't ever get in the way.

Cost: $27

Cons:
It doesn't automatically turn on when you start the car. There is a button on the front that is easy to press so it's not a big deal, but it would be nice if it came on automatically.

My iPhone doesn't automatically connect to the unit's WiFi network. This may be a setting on my phone, but I'm not sure. Could also be that I'm still in range of my home WiFi when I get into the car.

The unit seems to fit in upside down, though I've heard the same thing about other devices. Not a big deal because it's not visible unless you get under the dash.


VGate iCar 2
Amazon Amazon
wyovino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:50 AM   #11
Hurdigurdiman
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Hurdigurdiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ephrata, PA, USA now. Originally from the UK
Posts: 2,957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyovino View Post
Resurrecting an old thread.

I just bought another ODB II WiFi device that I really like. My old one was too long and it had flashing lights like a disco. I was always kicking it when getting out of the car.

The one I just bought has a very low profile - about 5/8 inch and is not visible when sitting. It works great with my iPhone and DashCommand app, though it says it also works with Android and other apps.

Pros:
It automatically shuts off after 30 minutes, so no (or very little) drain on the battery. You can turn it off manually if you want.

Works perfectly with my iPhone and DashCommand app, and provides a lot of useful data. True speed (without the offset). Intake temperature. Coolant Temp, Fuel stats, MAF stats, and much more.

Very small profile, so it won't ever get in the way.

Cost: $27

Cons:
It doesn't automatically turn on when you start the car. There is a button on the front that is easy to press so it's not a big deal, but it would be nice if it came on automatically.

My iPhone doesn't automatically connect to the unit's WiFi network. This may be a setting on my phone, but I'm not sure. Could also be that I'm still in range of my home WiFi when I get into the car.

The unit seems to fit in upside down, though I've heard the same thing about other devices. Not a big deal because it's not visible unless you get under the dash.


VGate iCar 2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is the exact same set up as I went for. I have the iPhone and Dashcommand app.
Hurdigurdiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:27 PM   #12
dan_189
User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,179
Default

I have one of the ELM units sitting in my car that a friend lent me but i'm yet to set it up. Although I should!, last time I tried I was having bluetooth issues with it.
dan_189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:17 AM   #13
Gator996
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Gator996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 1,460
Default

Does the vgate unit store or log info? I would like to use it at the track but trying to read live data could be a tad distracting.
Gator996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #14
Fracture
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Fracture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: midwest...near the ocean
Posts: 887
Default

http://www.obdlink.com/lxbt/

iOS or Android, this has worked well for me
Fracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #15
wyovino
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
wyovino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator996 View Post
Does the vgate unit store or log info? I would like to use it at the track but trying to read live data could be a tad distracting.
It's the app that stores the data, so any compatible ODB II device should be able to log information. The Vgate unit with DashCommand will log data.
wyovino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carfection, without a Glorified Automatic. :) TurboS Rennlist Canada 0 04-26-2017 03:45 PM
'Automatic' instagram embedding is now "Erratic" embedding curve lover Rennlist Forum Glitches - post them here. Test posts are permitted. 3 02-08-2017 03:55 PM
The Ring in a camaro - SUB 7:30 with an automatic! mark kibort Racing & Drivers Education Forum 39 10-31-2016 09:01 AM
928 convertible on mecum Bilal928S4 928 Forum 0 08-12-2015 09:07 PM


Tags
ebay, monitor, obd

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Copyright ę 1998 - 2017 Rennlist.com
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: