Sponsored by:

old vs. new PSE (weight)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 04:56 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old vs. new PSE (weight)

Since we're talking about the PSEs--again--I'm curious, does anyone know if there is a weight difference between the older version and the current one? L'm looking to do the exhaust next and I'm always looking to save weight when possible.

TIA
Old 08-05-2003, 05:01 PM
AdamB
Instructor

On the same note can someone post the difference between stock exhaust and the PSE?
Old 08-05-2003, 08:27 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

PSE VS stock, just by eyeballing, I would assume the PSE is heavier. It has the extra pipe for the bypass plus the valve, an addition to what would otherwise be a stock exhaust.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:52 PM
AdamB
Instructor

I'm guessing the weight gain can't be that tremendous such as to impede in any noticable way performance. Even if it is 10 pounds heavier (which I highly doubt -- more likely 5 lbs. or less) that would be the same effect as the different weights of drivers, though it is on the already heavy rear end of the 996.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:01 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally posted by AdamB
I'm guessing the weight gain can't be that tremendous such as to impede in any noticable way performance. Even if it is 10 pounds heavier (which I highly doubt -- more likely 5 lbs. or less) that would be the same effect as the different weights of drivers, though it is on the already heavy rear end of the 996.
Your point is well taken, Adam. The difference in weight between my model year '99 stock mufflers (minus mounting bracket and bolts which would be common to any installation) and the "old style" PSE on my car is about 1.5 pounds per muffler. The stock mufflers weighed 21 pounds each, and the PSE's were 22.5 pounds each. (For comparison purposes, the Ruf mufflers I had for a while were 19 pounds each). That's a difference of 3 pounds total between stock and the old style PSE, or the equivilent of less than 1/2 gallon of gas or whether you ate dinner before you got in the car or not. Yeah, the placement on that last one would be ideal for weight distribution. The point is, it's not much; certainly not enough by itself to make any difference in performance that could be felt, or even measured.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:26 AM
fahren affair
Pro

Originally posted by Mike in CA
The stock mufflers weighed 21 pounds each, and the PSE's were 22.5 pounds each. (For comparison purposes, the Ruf mufflers I had for a while were 19 pounds each). That's a difference of 3 pounds total between stock and the old style PSE, or the equivilent of less than 1/2 gallon of gas or whether you ate dinner before you got in the car or not.
Obviously, weight was on your mind as well, or you would'nt have the measurements Your point is well taken, thanks...meanwhile, I'm still looking for the 'old style' PSE. Please contact me OTB if anyone wants to part with one.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally posted by fahren affair
Obviously, weight was on your mind as well, or you would'nt have the measurements
No question about that, Rob. Weight reduction was a big reason why I got the GT3 seats (saved 65 pounds) removed the rear seats and belts (29 pounds), substituted a compressor and tire sealant from the GT3 for my spare tire (23 pounds) and went with forged wheels to replace the stock Turbo twists (about 15 pounds). And the 3 pounds I gained back with the PSE were compensated for by doing the GT3 console delete. Anyway, the downside of the slightly heavier PSE was far outweighed by the improved sound, factory quality, and knowing there would be no problems with reduced torque or unwanted resonance as with some other aftermarket exhausts.

Quick Reply: old vs. new PSE (weight)