Sponsored by:

Variocam actuator trigger voltage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 11:43 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Googled a bit but couldn't find it. Are you sure it's a diode? How many pins it has? Can you post a pic?

Like this? Attachment 834872

Fyi https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...cu-repair.html
Its a power fet, Not a diode. Imo000 is a traffic engineer...lol.. Yup that one is toast. Bosch must have a hell of an agreement with the auto manufacturers. I can't even find a data sheet for it! Let alone replacement parts. Will have to try Bosch Micro electronics in Michigan.

Although the the one he purchased looks like it should work.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
Its a power fet, Not a diode. Imo000 is a traffic engineer...lol.. Yup that one is toast. Bosch must have a hell of an agreement with the auto manufacturers. I can't even find a data sheet for it! Let alone replacement parts. Will have to try Bosch Micro electronics in Michigan.

Although the the one he purchased looks like it should work.
Hehe, I figured. I can't find its specs either. However, I found the spec of BIP373, a triple-stage Darlington for driving ignition coils. Looks very robust, even has overload protection. Should be more than enough to drive that "low current" solenoid (relative to coils).

http://www.diyautotune.com/downloads..._datasheet.pdf

Good job tracking down the problem btw.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:28 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hehe, I figured. I can't find its specs either. However, I found the spec of BIP373, a triple-stage Darlington for driving ignition coils. Looks very robust, even has overload protection. Should be more than enough to drive that "low current" solenoid (relative to coils).

Yup. If it works (and I am sure it will), It will not fail again. It also has over temp shut off.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:15 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

That's where I ordered the part. Getting shipped out today, should be here in a week. My cheapness and not wanting to pull the valve cover what drove me to do a proper diagnosis. I've been like this all my life and seems to work well. Changing a part just to find out that it didn't make a difference feels like a real failure when you are a gearhead.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:07 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Part came in earier this week. Gugeman69 changed it for ke. I didn't feel screwing around with it. Re installed it last night, went for a 60 mile emission test run and the check engine light never came back. This morning took it to work, all but the evap systems were ready. One not ready is allowed up here so went to the closest testing facility and as expected it PASSED! The bonus part is that the car feel a bit faster with the variocam working on both banks. I'll be ordering 10 more of these transistors as a back up for the future. Have a feeling that there will be more and more of these faliures as the transiators get older.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:13 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Well done!
Old 03-26-2020, 12:45 AM
Carlosota88
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How hard was to change the transistor ? I have the same issue !
Old 03-26-2020, 11:27 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Carlosota88
How hard was to change the transistor ? I have the same issue !

Not hard at all. I let my buddy do it but only because he had better soldering equipment than me. I was worried that what I had might cause more damage so I let him do it. Once the ECM cover was removed, and the board pulled from the case, it was a very simple procedure. I would contact a local electronic repair shop and have them swap it out. I'm sure they will do it for the cost of couple of rolls of toilet paper.

Quick Reply: Variocam actuator trigger voltage?