Sponsored by:

How was your day?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 05:45 PM
deptotpr
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default How was your day?

2001 996 - Car alarm dash button (light) will not go out. Vehicle interior light luminates, and horn beeps twice while driving down the road occasionally. I cannot get frunk open, switch inoperable; dealership advises the codes are confused. Dealership says 'No problem, common in the 996. Diagnostics $146.98, New immobilizer computer $823.00 :/ ouch. "living the dream"
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2014, 06:05 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Sorry man. I know the feeling. Also make sure the horn is related. On cars with the 4 spoke steering wheel the bushings fail and cause the horn to do that.

Oh, and sweet wheels!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:55 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a thought, have you tried a battery disconnect ?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:14 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a shame!! Beautiful day here 996 runs perfectly every day, best vehile I've evr bought and continues to peform flawlessly, left the office met the girlfriend and watched the Snowbirds Air Demonstration Team doing their spring work up!!

Old 05-01-2014, 11:32 PM
Dan951Man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I notice its a Cab... If you stick your hand under the carpet behind the drivers seat is it wet? If so I may jump to control unit, but usually they fail gloriously and more fatally if wet.
Your symptoms sound more like a typical alarm fault associated with a failing door latch circuit. The double honk means there's a fault. Put your windows all the way up, get out of the car, and gently pull on the door handle half way-
Do the windows drop slightly, and then return when you release the handle? (Don't pull far enough to release the latch and open the door)
Yes? Good. No? Issue.
Now that you see what that looks like, try again but this time pull the handle enough to open the door. Did the window drop slightly and stay dropped, or did it go back up when you released the handle (door now open)?
If it stays dropped when open- good. If it Goes back up when opened- bad.
If you have one acting up, 49 times out of 50 its the door latch mechanism... The 1 other time is usually a bad connection due to crappy bodyshop work.
Good luck and PLEASE- report back!
Old 05-01-2014, 11:58 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,574 Likes on 985 Posts

I get the double beep fault occasionally too. Codes show that it's related to the alarm system where it connects to the factory head unit. My entire stereo system was upgraded, so I need to do some troubleshooting there. Is your head unit stock?

Other than that, it was a great day today. I did a little canyon carving, even though I'm still running winter rubber. Love hearing the engine sounds echo in the canyon...
Old 05-02-2014, 11:34 AM
AA717driver
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

My day was cheaper than yours, deptot. Sorry.

Drank beer in a friend's garage and changed oil on the 328.

Not as much fun as Fanny's, though.

TC
Old 05-02-2014, 06:35 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Get the car into a Porsche Garage and their tester on it. The alarm may have slipped into Vehicle delivery mode. All kinds of strange electrical problems happens if it has.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:44 AM
deptotpr
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, I appreciate all the diagnostics, but did not hesitate and went to the dealer for the immediate fix. I used to stay up all night and worry and think of what a Porsche problem could be, those days are over.
I do believe the passenger door latch causing the window not to automatically go down prior to closing the door, could of been setting the alarm warning chirp at times. The horn wheel bushings in the steering wheel too? Just a side note, no water leaks on the car whatsoever.
I just went with the dealership mechanic's recommendation. I am hoping the new immobilizer eliminates any new issues for awhile.

I love the 996, and plan on keeping this one for a long time, so already have the 'comfort' knowing any expense is an investment.

Thanks for the replies. I hope to stay maintenance free; and quiet on here for awhile, and just be a reader.......
Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2014, 09:11 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

I know the feeling. When the power steering started to leak, I called the dealer. They picked up my car, left me a cayenne, and fixed the problem and brought my car back clean and shiny.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Adker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I get the double beep fault occasionally too. Codes show that it's related to the alarm system where it connects to the factory head unit. My entire stereo system was upgraded, so I need to do some troubleshooting there. Is your head unit stock?
The factory radio has a wire connected to a spring contact that is NOT grounded with the unit in the car. If you slid out the unit, this contact will be grounded and activates the alarm. So, when they installed the unit, they may have left this wire exposed. It is a blue/brown wire if memory serves me correctly, just tape it up and no more radio alarm.

Sorry if this is old news, just trying to help.

Quick Reply: How was your day?