996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

C4 Owners - Does your car pull right?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 05:21 PM
smjjpres
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Owners - Does your car pull right?

I am new to the C4s world. My car pulls to the right - slightly on the highway. I do not have to force the car to keep it straight - but if I take my hands off the wheel the car slides right.

Does anyone else have this problem? I was told that many 4's and turbos have this issue?

If anybody did have a similar problem, how was if fixed?
Old 08-01-2003, 05:30 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I believe there was a thread on this earlier.

No, my car does not pull to the right, or left or anywhere. It surprised me, since most roads have a center crest and would therefore drift a car, any car, away from the crest. On the C4S, it doesn't matter whether the crest is to your right or left. You let go of the wheel, it should go straight.

Start with simple things. Tire pressures OK? Are your tires worn? Tire balance, notice any shudder at speed? Then have your favorite service shop check out the alignment. Never heard of bad viscous coupling, but who knows?

Now, stop letting go of the wheel!!!!
Old 08-01-2003, 05:34 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts
Default If it's not tires, then it's alignment.

Following an alignment I once had a tech tell me that the drifting (in my case to the right) was normal and within spec's. I told him that my C4 never did that prior to the alignment, and he said he could tweak the alignment some which he did. And it drove straight down the road, as it had before.

The 996 TT I have now is the same way--goes straight down the road at any speed.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:44 PM
santicua
Instructor

I have a 4S and my car pulls slightly to the right as well. Checked the tire pressures and everything is according to spec. Also tried lowering them a little but still pulls to the right. I guess I'll have the dealer take a look at it next time I bring the car in.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:29 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

My 03 c4s certainly goes straight at any speed, even after me brushing against the curb a couple of days ago, the steering precision is one of the outstanding features of this car, and I am pretty sure of the turbo as well. If it pulls to a side i'd for sure have it checked out soon. (for heavens sake, even if my wife's lexus pulls either way, i'll have the dealer fix it, it shouldn't be "normal" in any vehicle).
Old 08-01-2003, 11:13 PM
potxoli
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

my c4s tracks totally straight as well as if it is on rails
Old 08-02-2003, 12:03 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No issue with the C4S initially. After one particularly long high speed stint, developed noticeable pull to the right. Balanced and aligning remedied the pull. About 1k thereafter a pull to the left developed. Adjusted tire pressures and she's staying true. Given this history, reach the conclusion that the C4S is touchy on alignment/balance. Worth noting that the C4 models are equipped with self centering steering.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:52 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Which highway? If it pulls on I-635, Tollway, 190, or I-35, then check pressure, wear, alignment etc. as already suggested. I can vouch for neutral steering on each of those Dallas highways.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:38 AM
smjjpres
Instructor

Yes, it was pulling right on Central, Tollway and Preston Road.

Definitely have a problem.

I went by the dealer today and they adjusted the tire pressure - still pulls. I am taking the car in Monday morning. I assume it will only be an alignment. I only just recently purchased the car.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:09 PM
Mon
AutoX

My car is pulling to the right as well. Tire pressure checked. Alignment done and it still pull to the right
Old 08-03-2003, 07:55 PM
KWC4S
Instructor

i'd posted earlier about my car pulling and dealer not being able to correct it. the car still pulls very noticeably from the left lane, over a slight crown and onto the right shoulder in about 5 seconds or less. i have another appointment setup with dealer to get it fixed.

any info for those that have corrected it if you know what they did...tow in, camber, whatever....as there's no caster adjustment, how much of a problem would that present? hmmmm
Old 08-07-2003, 06:40 AM
K8 MAL
Intermediate

My 99 C4 was twitchy and seemed to pull to the left. Things got much better after worn anti roll bar (sway bar) bushes and drop links were changed at the front and rear of the car.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:24 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok..here's an update on the "pull to the right", and one approach to resolve.

Basis advice from my dealer, a fully "on spec" 911 4wd car should exhibit a right drift bias. Whether this irritates you or not is another matter...suffice to say that it annoyed me.

So after establishing that the car was fully on spec, and still suffering from drift, the solution from PCNA was to install an adjustable lower right control arm and dial out the drift.

Suffice to say that with front caster form adjusted from (7.7) to (8.2) and right side camber form moved from (-0.0) to (-0.3)....the drift has been substantially reduced. If I was not hypersensitive to it...I'd say it was gone, which it probably is.... a few more miles, and a little less overanalysis should reach that conclusion. Presently, it feels as good as the Boxster loaner I just returned.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:37 PM
smjjpres
Instructor

Bill_C4s:

Thank you for the information. I just got my car back from the dealer and it still pulls right. They adjusted the alignment, but, this did not do much to correct the problem.

I was finding myself driving down the road in the boxter loaner with my hands off the wheel...reminiscing about a car that drove straight!

I am going to have the dealer do the same thing to my 4s. Back to the Boxter!!
Old 08-11-2003, 04:08 PM
BayArea Jimmy
Track Day

Hi smjjpres,
Please let us know how do you like the 'fix' .

Quick Reply: C4 Owners - Does your car pull right?