Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Replacing water pump; use gasket sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 03:03 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by DrMEMS
I had a leaking water-pump gasket. I removed the old pump and gasket. The pump didn't have a 996 number and the gasket was made of typical soft gasket material, so I think neither was Porsche OEM.
Got the new Porsche pump and Porsche metal gasket in. Due to the really tight space, none of my three torque wrenches fit, so I snugged down the bolts, probably tighter than 7 ft-lb.
Upon removing the jack stands and dropping down the rear of the car, coolant started leaking our what appears to be the joint between the top of the water pump and the engine block.
Maybe I tightened down the bolts too much. Has anyone reused the metal gasket, or is a new one needed?
I would recommend a new gasket because there are ridges around the gasket that are meant to be compressed so to me it's one time use.

You may want to chase all the bolt holes carefully as there could be corrosion, gunk, sealant, etc that could prevent the correct torque to be applied to the bolts. 7.5ftlb is so little force that any foriegn objects could stop the bolts from clamping down the water pump
Old 05-06-2019, 08:15 AM
hitthecones
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ahsai
I would recommend a new gasket because there are ridges around the gasket that are meant to be compressed so to me it's one time use.

You may want to chase all the bolt holes carefully as there could be corrosion, gunk, sealant, etc that could prevent the correct torque to be applied to the bolts. 7.5ftlb is so little force that any foriegn objects could stop the bolts from clamping down the water pump
The gasket is a one-time use only part, it will compress and deform once force is applied.

It it is remarkably easy to get the gasket out of position when reinstalling the pump. I struggled through that for a while when I replaced mine.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:12 AM
Sula
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Hubley
How about some suggestions for a torque wrench ...
I love my
torque adapter torque adapter
- turns a 3/8" ratchet into a versatile torque wrench.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:01 PM
DrMEMS
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, guys. I bought a new gasket and ordered the short torque wrench that Ahsai recommended. I'll try to install it this week after work.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:33 AM
DrMEMS
Instructor

I just removed the new water pump and the leaking gasket. I removed eight bolts with three different length. I didn't notice the length differences when I first removed them. The lengths are:
  • One 20-mm
  • Four 25-mm
  • Two 30-mm
Any suggestions on which ones go where?
Old 05-08-2019, 02:45 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DrMEMS
I just removed the new water pump and the leaking gasket. I removed eight bolts with three different length. I didn't notice the length differences when I first removed them. The lengths are:
  • One 20-mm
  • Four 25-mm
  • Two 30-mm
Any suggestions on which ones go where?
Check out post #18 here. I thought there are only two sizes and not three.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-t-move-2.html
Old 05-08-2019, 02:48 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Yup five 25mm and two 30mm. Your 20mm could be from the thermostat?

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=105-00
Old 05-09-2019, 01:56 PM
DrMEMS
Instructor

Thanks for the tips. I managed to reinstall the water pump with a new gasket, with all bolts tightened to 7 ft-lb. I tightened them in a crossing pattern like you would with lug nuts for a uniform tension. No leaks so far after 25 miles of driving.
I suspect that I had a leak at the top of the pump after my first installation because I used a long bolt at the top. It probably bottomed out in its hole so it felt tight, but it wasn't tightly clamping on the pump.

The shot below shows the 8 bolts that I removed. If you look closely, you can see that I removed one bolt that didn't belong to the water pump. I couldn't tell this when I was removing it because there is no way to clearly see the pump's bolts when the engine is in the car.

The small 3/8-inch-drive CDI brand torque wrench that Ahsai recommended is really nice. It is short and has a smaller-diameter handle than my Craftsman 3/8-inch torque wrench, so I was able to fit in in to torque all of the bolts. I could torque all seven with with a short 10-mm socket and a very short extension. A photo is below.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:21 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Very nice wrench indeed. I used it when I rebuilt my engine. Good tools make wrenching so much more enjoyable.

Quick Reply: Replacing water pump; use gasket sealant?