Sponsored by:

iPod install/cable

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 10:47 AM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question iPod install/cable

Did a search, couldn't find it...I know that several people have hooked up their Ipods to the stock CDR 220/230 radios. What cable would I need to do this? Once I have the cable how do I install it?
TIA
Old 08-01-2003, 12:34 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AUX Input cable from Becker North America. Try the Phone mute/Aux audio-in/Tel audio-in/Removal keys in one kit, 1319.116-276 ($16.40) To order please call Becker parts department at (888) 423-3537 x1209
Old 08-01-2003, 01:30 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Thx Loren, called Burl (parts guy) at Becker, should be here in a few days....
Old 08-01-2003, 01:44 PM
sennasixty8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default does this only work with Ipods?

Or is that aux input able to accept other sources..ie Mp3 players?

thanks in advance
Old 08-01-2003, 01:51 PM
RWO
Burning Brakes

Ipod is a MP3 player... A really cool one actually, I just got one for my Daughter, now I want one

http://www.ipod.com/ipod/

Roy
Old 08-01-2003, 03:13 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Senna...,
it is just the standard aux input cable, should accept other sources.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:54 PM
sennasixty8
Instructor

Default whats that plug look like on the receiving end

sorry for the rant, but does it have a rca type input, or 1/8th inch jack, or otherwise...

Old 08-01-2003, 05:01 PM
sennasixty8
Instructor

Default Bose Sound

I dont think this cable will work for sure, but I called "Burl" and he doesnt think it applies to the HiEnd Bose system I have, since its outputs are fiberoptic. I want to assume that it has analog inputs, but I dont wanna pulll the head unit out, if someone already tried this!
Old 08-01-2003, 06:13 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no AUX out on MY03 cars with the MOST system
Old 08-01-2003, 06:19 PM
redcab
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

I called Becker a few days ago since I'm looking at the same. The rep said that the back of the Becker unit has RCA inputs. When you buy their cable you also get instructions on how to enable the head unit's AUX input. Note that you can't have both a CD Changer and the AUX input active at the same time...so you gotta choose.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:35 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

redcab,
the choice seems kinda easy....2500 - 7500 songs v. 6 cds....the real choice is phatbox v. Ipod. For me, the portability of the ipod makes it a no brainer.

senna, yeah sorry didn't look at your model year, is MOST-ly impossible to integrate aftermarket components with the new audio architecture....BTW awesome bike
Old 08-01-2003, 07:17 PM
sennasixty8
Instructor

Default thanks anyway...wishful thinking

I guess I'm stuck with the stock, that still sounds grrrrreat compared to the stock junk system in my 1999 C4. I've got a great SONY MEX-HD headunit in my Toyota Pickup (aka racebike transporter) the lets me store 10 gigs worth of music, thats 2000 CDs worth for only $699.99...thanks bestbuy and thanks to Toyota for making it so easy

Thanks to NYC for the compliments on the bike
Old 08-02-2003, 12:45 AM
redcab
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm with you, to go with the ipod instead of the CD Changer. That decision is easy. The more difficult one is whether to pull the head unit and the domino effect starts from there.....amp, speakers and whether or not to go subwoofer or not. But the ipod decision probably stands on its own and I wouldn't feel bad about it if/when the later mods happen. My CD collection doesn't change much too often, so I don't think a Phat box is for me. The ipod portability will win.
Old 08-02-2003, 09:25 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From some earlier posts of mine...

I took a slightly different approach (I have the CDR-220 with the CD changer in the trunk). I simply hijacked the audio wire that the CD changer uses to output its left/right channels.

There are 2 interfaces to the CD changer. The first one carries the control signals. The second carries the audio signals from the CD changer back to the in-dash unit. Both are accessible immediately behind the CD changer (once removed from the mounting bracket). I left the first interface intact (the in-dash unit still controls the CD changer, but to no effect). On the second interface, I extended it into the cabin using standard RCA-to-phono-plug audo wire to allow my iPod to send audio in place of the CD changer.

Removed the individual CD drawers out of the center console CD tray. Routed the phono/RCA wire leading to the CDC to terminate just in back of the CD storage box. (Pic 1) Pulled the wire into the CD storage box as I reinstalled it into the center console (Pic 2).

Note that this works with other MP3 players and anything else that has a headphones output jack.

Old 08-03-2003, 12:41 AM
JakeMate
Racer

Originally posted by ervtx
From some earlier posts of mine...

I took a slightly different approach (I have the CDR-220 with the CD changer in the trunk). I simply hijacked the audio wire that the CD changer uses to output its left/right channels.

There are 2 interfaces to the CD changer. The first one carries the control signals. The second carries the audio signals from the CD changer back to the in-dash unit. Both are accessible immediately behind the CD changer (once removed from the mounting bracket). I left the first interface intact (the in-dash unit still controls the CD changer, but to no effect). On the second interface, I extended it into the cabin using standard RCA-to-phono-plug audo wire to allow my iPod to send audio in place of the CD changer.

Removed the individual CD drawers out of the center console CD tray. Routed the phono/RCA wire leading to the CDC to terminate just in back of the CD storage box. (Pic 1) Pulled the wire into the CD storage box as I reinstalled it into the center console (Pic 2).

Note that this works with other MP3 players and anything else that has a headphones output jack.
Does this mean you can still use the CD Changer as well? Thanks.

Quick Reply: iPod install/cable