Sponsored by:

Aftermarket stereo systems

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 08:58 AM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Aftermarket stereo systems

Looking for pics of clean installs and head units that don't look out of place in the interior. Feel free to list your equipment.

The factory systems SUCKS!!
Old 08-01-2003, 10:10 AM
NiveK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the best looking unit for the porsche and in fact is very high end on sound quality is the Nakamichi, it looks like it is a factory unit, i have yet to install it yet because im waiting on the speakers but maybe when im not to lame ill go buy a digi cam and show some pics
Old 08-01-2003, 10:31 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I am sure that someone out there will say that upgrading the sound system is a complete waste of time and money and that you could never hear the difference along with a bunch of other rubbish. Fortunately I feel otherwise so here goes...

- Never get a Sony headunit. I am replacing mine with an Eclipse this weekend which sounds much better from what I understand. I am going with the Eclipse 8443.

- What is your stock system? You are in luck if you have the door pods. The best thing you can do is get a 3 way component system using a 6.5" (mounted on custom baffle) in the doors with a 4" and tweeter in the dash. I went with a JL Audio XR653 component system, but you can get similar from Focal, MB Quart, or possibly Boston Acoustic.

- Based on my experience, do not bother replacing the rear speakers. You can not hear them in a stock system, and you still can not hear them in an upgraded system. If you have to replace them... the easiest thing to do is a 4" coaxial. I went with a JL Audio XR400 coaxial in the rear.

- Subs... this is the most argued about point in stereo upgrades around here as of late. I went with two 8" JL Audios in a sealed enclosure behind the rear seats. A lot of folks mount theres back there, but you can also get enclosures that go behind the front seats or in the passenger footwell.

It is also possible to do two 10" subs in the same location, but I will let Carlos tell you himself. Carlos???

- Good power is also important. Most larger component sets like good power to really make them sing, same with subs. I went with a JL Audio 5 channel amp (500/5) and have been very happy with it. The front components see 100rms each, the rears see 25rms each, and the subs see 250rms between the two.

- Just as important, find a reputable shop with a top notch installer that knows what they are doing. The best equipment in the world will sound like crap if not done properly. Ask the shop for photos of install work and always ask for experience. I went with my shop b/c of the number of Porsches the installer had worked on.

I am very pleased with the work performed and the quality of the sound I have gotten out of my coupe. Good luck and have fun.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:45 AM
potxoli
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

can only the head unit be replaced with the BOSE system? Is their a harness available?

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2003, 12:09 PM
Jmac
Advanced

This is a great thread. Like most audiofiles, I want everything: a system that doesn't look too custom, want dvd-based nav, am/fm/mp3, sat radio (XM), and dvd video (TV would be nice too!). I would rather put a permanent vid screen over the first two install shelfs (upper), and put the heating/AC unit on the lower shelf unit ( I don't like the approach of having the vid screen pop out of the system and then hide the heating/AC controls) Ideally, it would be great if all of this could work with the factory bose speakers to minimize cutting/drilling/customization. Is this a pipe dream, or possible?
Old 08-01-2003, 12:12 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally posted by Jmac
This is a great thread. Like most audiofiles, I want everything: a system that doesn't look too custom, want dvd-based nav, am/fm/mp3, sat radio (XM), and dvd video (TV would be nice too!). I would rather put a permanent vid screen over the first two install shelfs (upper), and put the heating/AC unit on the lower shelf unit ( I don't like the approach of having the vid screen pop out of the system and then hide the heating/AC controls) Ideally, it would be great if all of this could work with the factory bose speakers to minimize cutting/drilling/customization. Is this a pipe dream, or possible?
EXACTLY! I'm an audiophile and want the same quality in my car as I have at home.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:15 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Excellent advice from Sloth IMO and covered just about everything

Here is my two 10" sealed enclosure which I wanted to blend in with the interior of the cars as much as possible along with the rest of the system, unlike other cars, the stock speaker locations are great in this car.

Old 08-01-2003, 05:08 PM
JayM
Addict
Rennlist Member

I went with the Pioneer head unit, and after I figured out the controls, I like it. It is DVD based, including the ability to play DVD's, and while the screen does block part of the heater controls when it is out, two of the three small buttons you can see at the bottom control a stepped tilt function, so if you need to get to the covered controls you can easily tilt it out of the way and back again. I chose it over the Alpine becasue at the time the Alpine was CD based, and over the Kenwood because it uses a touch screen, which quickly resembles one big fingerprint. Since I don't know how to post multiple pics in the same post, you will have to open the next one to see my speakers.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:09 PM
Eric Holdaway
Advanced

Default Re: Aftermarket stereo systems

This post has been deleted due to it's blatent disregard of the self promotion rules associated with this community. You can access the rules here: http://www.rennlist.org/charter.htm and https://rennlist.com/nospam.htm .

Old 08-01-2003, 05:14 PM
JayM
Addict
Rennlist Member

I went with an ARC 5-way amp, which I really like. Dash, door and rear speakers are Focals, including a pair of 3-ways in the door which are fantastic. I have a pair of Image Dynamic sub-woofers, shown below. All work done by Rod at Car Audio Innovations.

And to the " someone out there will say that upgrading the sound system is a complete waste of time and money and that you could never hear the difference along with a bunch of other rubbish" guy, I say
"Let's take a ride, then you decide!"
Old 08-01-2003, 09:42 PM
powerfeed
Intermediate

The 2 head units which IMHO fit my interior the best are the Nakamichi CD-700 (the $$$ single cd player) or the Clarion Pro unit (dont know the model). Both units have face plates that resemble high end home seperates (heavy silver aluminum). In addition, no goofy techno/disco light show or gyroscope bs. Simple but substantial. My system consists of the Nakamichi CD-700 CD Transport, Nakamichi MB-70 Indash 6 CD changer, Audiocontrol electronic equalizer and Overdrive Line driver, ADS 6 channel amp, Focal tweets & mids in the dash and rear side panels, and Focal woofers, 6' in the doors and two 5" in the passengers foot rest (in an enclosure).
Old 08-04-2003, 04:15 AM
BadA996
Intermediate

You can have it all. I have an Alpine head unit with a 7" screen, TV, DVD Changer and DVD Nav. Replaced all speakers with MB Quart separates and added a sealed subwoofer enclosure behind the rear seats housing 2 Kicker L7's (8" subs). Unfortunately my trunk is now housing 3 Alpine amps and a Nav. unit. So much for a trunk.
Larry
Old 08-04-2003, 08:30 AM
jason latif
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Easy solution...

...fit a Porsche Sports Exhaust and be done with the ricer stereo upgrades!

We're driving a sports car that has an engine that should be HEARD!! What's the point of spending a fortune on 'audiophile' equipment that is compromised by the wind noise/tyre rumble/engine note etc?

If you want quality in-car music - get a Lexus that is DESIGNED to be quiet and therefore more conducive to listening to music / watching dvd's.

All IMHO of course.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:56 AM
loliver
Instructor

I replaced mine with:
Nakamichi cass.deck where the old head was
Nakamichi 6 in dash CD changer where the cd storage thing was
Sony XM where the cubby hole was.
Then they made a Carbon fiber surround for the XM that exactly matches the factory carbon around the 2 decks. It totally looks factory!
All the speaker are Focal competition in sizes that fit in the factory locations. A custom sub enclosure with 2 6" JL audio covered in Porsche factory carpet installed where the old Bose was. They built a new wiring harness, leaving the factory MOST harness in place so I can return the car to stock.
AA 6 channel Esoteric amp where the little worthless spare tire was.(where are you going to carry a big flat tire and wheel anyway?
Old 08-04-2003, 11:15 AM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

loliver,
I'd love to see a picture of your setup, sounds pretty trick....

Quick Reply: Aftermarket stereo systems