996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Max Camber on stock control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 02:33 AM
eugizzle
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Max Camber on stock control arms?

Hey Rennlisters:

Was looking to achieve a more aggressive/track camber setup with roughly -4 in front and -2 at the rear?

Will the stock control arms allow me to attain this setup? Or will I need camber plates? Does anyone have any experience with the camber range of camber plates?
Old 04-13-2014, 09:29 AM
6ta1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

hi,

are these just numbers you are throwing or really what you want? GT3 OEM spec is -1.5/-1.5 and most people that race them will recommend -2.5/-2.3

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...-settings.html

I am not sure about the answer to your specific question, I am running -1.5 on stock control arm without camber plate. I think you can get close to -2 on stock parts
Old 04-13-2014, 04:27 PM
eugizzle
Instructor

6ta1:

Those numbers aren't based on any Gt3 specs, just numbers I came up with. I'm currently running -1 front and -2 rear (roughly) with stock control arms in the front. Staring down the front of the car, the front wheels are visually faced inward and the rears relatively straight. What I'm looking to achieve is a more aggressive, track-tailored setup with more negative camber at the front than the rear.

More or less exactly like this photo:

http://www.6speedonline.com/g/picture/171280

Originally Posted by 6ta1
hi,

are these just numbers you are throwing or really what you want? GT3 OEM spec is -1.5/-1.5 and most people that race them will recommend -2.5/-2.3

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...-settings.html

I am not sure about the answer to your specific question, I am running -1.5 on stock control arm without camber plate. I think you can get close to -2 on stock parts
Old 04-14-2014, 11:44 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

If you want to be a ricer, buy a Honda.
If you want the car to handle, go with the advice above. You may have to slot the tops of the strut towers to get the front over -2.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:47 AM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by eugizzle
6ta1:

Staring down the front of the car, the front wheels are visually faced inward and the rears relatively straight. What I'm looking to achieve is a more aggressive, track-tailored setup with more negative camber at the front than the rear.

More or less exactly like this photo:

http://www.6speedonline.com/g/picture/171280
Staring down the front (as you call it), if your wheels are facing inwards that's your toe setting, not camber.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:01 AM
eugizzle
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltusler
If you want to be a ricer, buy a Honda.
If you want the car to handle, go with the advice above. You may have to slot the tops of the strut towers to get the front over -2.
I'm just going to give you the benefit of the doubt regarding the "ricer, honda" comment.

All I'm looking to achieve is the link I posted above. I would hardly call that a ricer. But to each his own.

What exactly does this mean? "you may have to slot the tops of the strut towers"
Old 04-15-2014, 03:03 AM
eugizzle
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stephen Tinker
Staring down the front (as you call it), if your wheels are facing inwards that's your toe setting, not camber.
My mistake for the poor description, I do however mean camber.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:43 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Can't speak for the front as -.7 is all I can get on the stock setup, but I've run -2.2 in the rear before. I have been running -2.0 in the rear for quite awhile now with no issues.

Anything over -1 in the front will require camber plates and/or adjustable control arms like the GT3 has with its lower control arm spacers.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:51 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

-4 is pretty extreme but if you want GT3 specs, you can either get the OEM monoball gt3 strut mounts or quite a few aftermarket versions. Reversing the gt3 strut mounts will gain you additional 1-1.2 deg of neg camber so -2.0 to -2.5 camber up front total. This is probably the more cost effective way vs using GT3 control arms. The only benefit to using the GT3 arms is if you want slightly wider track and some limited castor adjustment.

Otherwise, if you want even more camber, using both camber plates and Cup control arms should get you where you want. The GT3 LCA will provide you between -2.5 to -3.0 max depending on how much threading you want to risk packing in the shims. So coupled with reversed GT3 strut mounts, you should be able to get -4.5 to -5 max neg camber. With that much camber though you definitely will want a good amount of Castor adjustment or your steering will be hardly useable.

IMO, unless you are driving a cup car or participating in any semi-pro to pro racing, you won't really need the extreme camber that you are seeking. I recommend hanging out on the GT3 forums and seeing what works best for those guys since a lot of them regulary or only track their GT3 cars.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:47 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,472 Likes on 811 Posts

If it's good enough for the hardcore GT3 guys, it's more than good enough for your car. The track alignment settings the GT3 crowd uses are tried and true, assuming you're actually going for a track alignment and this thread isn't just a thinly veiled attempt to figure out to run obscene amounts of camber so you can turn your 996 into a stance car...
Old 04-15-2014, 04:17 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Here ya go...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Porsche 911 Alignment Specs.pdf (133.6 KB, 232 views)
Old 04-15-2014, 06:21 PM
eugizzle
Instructor

Ah this was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you Alpine003.

Could you provide me with a reference to gain access to these parts:
1) gt3 strut mounts
2) gt3 control arms

checked both suncoast and vividracing, but am not sure exactly what I'm looking for. thanks.

Originally Posted by alpine003
-4 is pretty extreme but if you want GT3 specs, you can either get the OEM monoball gt3 strut mounts or quite a few aftermarket versions. Reversing the gt3 strut mounts will gain you additional 1-1.2 deg of neg camber so -2.0 to -2.5 camber up front total. This is probably the more cost effective way vs using GT3 control arms. The only benefit to using the GT3 arms is if you want slightly wider track and some limited castor adjustment.

Otherwise, if you want even more camber, using both camber plates and Cup control arms should get you where you want. The GT3 LCA will provide you between -2.5 to -3.0 max depending on how much threading you want to risk packing in the shims. So coupled with reversed GT3 strut mounts, you should be able to get -4.5 to -5 max neg camber. With that much camber though you definitely will want a good amount of Castor adjustment or your steering will be hardly useable.

IMO, unless you are driving a cup car or participating in any semi-pro to pro racing, you won't really need the extreme camber that you are seeking. I recommend hanging out on the GT3 forums and seeing what works best for those guys since a lot of them regulary or only track their GT3 cars.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:22 PM
eugizzle
Instructor

Thanks Miamac70 for the reference guide.
Didnt know my -4 camber was THAT wild of a setup....

Originally Posted by MiamiC70
Here ya go...
Old 04-15-2014, 06:23 PM
eugizzle
Instructor

Not at all. Btw I really like your C4s build with the rotiforms if I'm not mistaken. Not looking for something that slammed though.

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
If it's good enough for the hardcore GT3 guys, it's more than good enough for your car. The track alignment settings the GT3 crowd uses are tried and true, assuming you're actually going for a track alignment and this thread isn't just a thinly veiled attempt to figure out to run obscene amounts of camber so you can turn your 996 into a stance car...
Old 04-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,472 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by eugizzle
Btw I really like your C4s build with the rotiforms if I'm not mistaken. Not looking for something that slammed though.
Yup, that was me. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Max Camber on stock control arms?