Sponsored by:

2004 996 stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 02:21 PM
996firsttime
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 996 stereo

Hi guys! I am a newbie. I just purchased 2004 996C2 Cab. with 26,000 miles on. Having read this forum over the years, I bought 5 year extended warranty to protect myself from RMS and IMS issues. Car came with premium sound system with Bose speakers. They are not bad. It is stock radio with one CD slot. I want to change to a new unit with bluetooth and streaming music (Pandora and Spotify) from iPhone 5s. I am looking at Kenwood, Pioneer, and Alphine for large tough screen units and standard size unit. A large touch screen unit will require relocating climate control unit and deleting CD holders which I don't mind as I don't listen to CD or FM. I usually stream music from iPhone.

Here is the issue. Two car audio shops I went said that since my current unit (radio, bose speakers (6), and amp behind the spare tire) uses fiber optic line, it is not comparable with the ones they sell (Kenwood, Pioneer, and Alphine, etc.). Here are two options they are proposing:

1. To keep the current bose speakers, they will bypass the existing amp and use the amp built in the new replacement unit. I think I may lose power and sound quality by bypassing the current amp. Am I correct? they are quoting about $600 to $800 including labor and harness, etc., depending on what new unit I buy.

2. Replace the whole thing (speakers, radio, and amp) with new unit, new amp., and new speakers (4) rather than 6 speakers. It will cost $1,500.

Question: is it true that new unit can't work with the existing amp due to usage of fiber optic line? Is there no new unit out there using fiber optic line?

Thank you very much for reading and your response.

As soon as I can figure out how to post pics, as all newbies are required to, I will post pics.

Last edited by 996firsttime; 04-04-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-04-2014, 02:29 PM
6ta1
Instructor

there is a harness from Autoleads that costs $30 and will allow you to bypass the amp without any rewiring (I have that in my car)
Old 04-04-2014, 02:31 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tons of info on forums about this. Good search terms (through Google) are 996 speakers and 996 stereo.
I have a 2002 so no fibre optic. I replaced the head unit with a single DIN Kenwood and then replaced that with an Alpine because the Kenwood's BT functionality was lacking (at least with an iPhone 5S.) You'll find info on this thread. Also here is the installation guide that I wrote, which will help you with the physical aspects but not the electrical ones since you have MOST (fibre optic.) Another thread that you will find useful is this one that describes a MOST install and amplifier bypass.
The following users liked this post:
imhighlander (10-07-2022)
Old 04-05-2014, 02:47 PM
sds911
Rennlist Member

Definitely upgrade the Bose speakers -- as in my other posts JBL GTO or Infiniti Kappa 2 ohms work with stock Bose amp and sound great.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:55 PM
particlewave
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would replace it all. The stock Bose MOST system in your car does use fiber optic, so amp will have to be replaced along with the head unit.
Not much sense in keeping the mediocre speakers after all of that
Old 04-05-2014, 05:35 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sds911
Definitely upgrade the Bose speakers -- as in my other posts JBL GTO or Infiniti Kappa 2 ohms work with stock Bose amp and sound great.
I just ordered 4 GTO 328's and a 528 and some dynamat for the Bose sub box. I'm keeping everything else stock. I may end up getting the Becker aux in at some point.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:50 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by adcampo
I just ordered 4 GTO 328's and a 528 and some dynamat for the Bose sub box. I'm keeping everything else stock. I may end up getting the Becker aux in at some point.
Will the 528 fit in the passenger footwell sub box? Are you using the 328s for the door and dash or the rear and dash?
Old 04-05-2014, 06:18 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bal
Will the 528 fit in the passenger footwell sub box? Are you using the 328s for the door and dash or the rear and dash?
I read a post from sds911 that 328's go in the f/r. In the cab, there is only one speaker in the sub box. That's where the 528 will go. I'm not messing with the doors. BTW, I'll have a new extra 528 if your interested. $25.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:03 PM
sds911
Rennlist Member

Just to clarify, I have the coupe with the bose sub box in rear. I could have used either the 528 or 628 in the bose sub box, and ended up using the 628 (a 6.5 inch coax speaker). Set the db button to 0db for tweeter. I don't know what size sub is in the Cabriolet bose enclosure. You can always measure it first and then order the correct GTO size to fit. Can't really go wrong since the 528 and 628 must be last year's model and are 50 to 80 bucks at SonicElextronix online and on other sites. Still 99 bucks on the JBL website.

They also have a GTO component speaker line -- so you may want that one for your sub box -- since it won't have a tweeter on the woofer and comes with a cross over you can wire in line easily.

Last edited by sds911; 04-05-2014 at 08:24 PM.
islandflyin (05-17-2020)
Old 04-06-2014, 09:56 AM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Thanks sds. Another rennlister did this upgrade and couldn't say enough about how much of an improvement it made.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:20 AM
996firsttime
5th Gear

Thank you guys for all information. Very helpful.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:42 AM
danielcooper9
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I changed my head unit out with a double din and new sub. I am waiting to do the speakers later. If you are a bit of a do it your selfer, talk to Rod at Car Audio Innovations. I bought a turn key package from him and replaced it myself. Kit included trim bezel, wiring harness, etc.. I had a bit of trial and error because I didn't read through his instructions thoroughly (guy thing) but he has you tube clips and written instructions that walk you through everything.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:26 PM
SKYSTAK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agree. I just did my new to me 2004 c4s. Pulled out the bose completely and finally gave in and talked to Rod. i wound up getting head unit and pre-wired harness from him. Then ordered cab sub and door speakers from him as well. I bought JBL speakers for fronts and rears and Alpine amp from Sonic. All in it was about 2 grand. He has answered no less than 10 emails from me on questions as I never installed this type of complexity before. But.....it went well and the sound so far has been awesome and I still have the sub left to do. In fact, the doors have triangle shaped speakers so Rod built out a complete bose box with 5.25 inch Hertz woofers and just offered to trade me for my bose box (which is identical) to make my install easy.

it took me awhile but getting the proper "fishing tool", a good dremel tool to tweak the speakers into the frames and a color code chart made all the difference.

Some clues:
The 4 prong plug behind the storage bin has switched power, its the green wire.
Illumination can be had on the cigarette lighter, it's blue/white. wire crimps work fine.
You can buy a 5 channel amp and wire the rear speakers right into head unit, works great (green and violet wires).
You can mix and match with Bose speakers, but sounds bad, ohm mismatches and on a cab you can forget the floor sub by the passenger as it's only .5 ohm.
Grommet right behind battery goes right into HU area, remove temp control unit first, gives more room.
There are no replacement speakers for Bose doors as the are triangle shaped, you must modify.
Rod makes a fiberglass custom woofer that fits perfectly into a cab, expensive but very clean and worth it, probably 1/3 of all cost associated with a replacement.
good luck, definitely a great difference, well worth it.
imhighlander (10-07-2022)
Old 11-28-2018, 08:18 PM
kenudigit
6th Gear

Default I just want to stream music from my iPhone

Hi, can anyone suggest an easy way to stream just music from my phone to my 04’ 996 C4S sound system? I could care less about hands free and my CDC, but want to keep my pcm 2 unit.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:21 PM
misterted
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kenudigit
Hi, can anyone suggest an easy way to stream just music from my phone to my 04’ 996 C4S sound system? I could care less about hands free and my CDC, but want to keep my pcm 2 unit.
Easiest way is to get an FM transmitter....but they generally suck.
I gave up on it and just listen to the engine.

Ted

Quick Reply: 2004 996 stereo