Sponsored by:

2001 911 C4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 02:00 AM
serg911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 911 C4?

quick question to the group. Looking at purchasing a 2001 911 C4, 58k miles, grey exterior/interior. Here is some of the listing:

Excellent condition. Loaded with additional factory installed features: Comfort Package, Wheel Caps with Colored Crest, Porsche Crest in Headrest, 3 Spoke Leather Steering, Rear Window Wiper, Advanced Technic Package, Supple Leather Front & Rear, Carbon Package, Brake/Shifter Carbon Aluminum, Full Aero Kit, Custom Car Cover (refer to Porsche CoA). Clean Car Fax available. Car Fax notes car is worth over blue book value due to extras! Title in hand. Motivated seller!
Always garaged and covered. 2nd owner for past 7 years. All scheduled maintenance including 60,000 mile service completed. Tires less than 5,000 miles wear. Rear: Falken 275/30 ZR19 96Y. Front: Falken 245/35 ZR19 93Y. New battery. Looks and drives great! Very few paint chips in front, minor and small paint bubbles on rear spoiler. No accidents. Very clean interior and exterior.

asking $26,995. Probably will go to $26k for the car. I am doing a PPI tomorrow. Assuming PPI comes in clean, is this too much $ for the car?
I test drove it and it was a fantastic ride! Interior was ok; not showroom quality, but good for a 2001.

Should add that this is my first Porsche! so any advice would be helpful. Once i get my 911 I definitely will be a contributor to this forum.

thanks!
Old 03-30-2014, 02:43 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Not crazy high, but he'll have that car a long time if he's not willing to go below $26k. I would say $22k is more market value. No mention of IMSB upgrade, so there's a negotiation point right there. Sounds like a very nice car though. I would respectfully offer $22k, and if he doesn't take it then take solace in knowing there are many, many others out there. $26k puts you in C4S territory.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:46 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Oh, and definitely get a PPI. That will likely give you a lot more negotiation ammo.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:14 AM
ttgroove
Advanced

Originally Posted by serg911
quick question to the group. Looking at purchasing a 2001 911 C4, 58k miles, grey exterior/interior. Here is some of the listing:

Excellent condition. Loaded with additional factory installed features: Comfort Package, Wheel Caps with Colored Crest, Porsche Crest in Headrest, 3 Spoke Leather Steering, Rear Window Wiper, Advanced Technic Package, Supple Leather Front & Rear, Carbon Package, Brake/Shifter Carbon Aluminum, Full Aero Kit, Custom Car Cover (refer to Porsche CoA). Clean Car Fax available. Car Fax notes car is worth over blue book value due to extras! Title in hand. Motivated seller!
Always garaged and covered. 2nd owner for past 7 years. All scheduled maintenance including 60,000 mile service completed. Tires less than 5,000 miles wear. Rear: Falken 275/30 ZR19 96Y. Front: Falken 245/35 ZR19 93Y. New battery. Looks and drives great! Very few paint chips in front, minor and small paint bubbles on rear spoiler. No accidents. Very clean interior and exterior.

asking $26,995. Probably will go to $26k for the car. I am doing a PPI tomorrow. Assuming PPI comes in clean, is this too much $ for the car?
I test drove it and it was a fantastic ride! Interior was ok; not showroom quality, but good for a 2001.

Should add that this is my first Porsche! so any advice would be helpful. Once i get my 911 I definitely will be a contributor to this forum.

thanks!
I know which car you are referring to. It has been listed for quite sometimes. I want to say at least a few months. It looks like a nice car and I am surprised it is still available. Perhaps the price is bit high as the previous poster stated. As a point of reference, I paid 24k for 2002 Targa earlier this year. Original sticker lists it at 97k. Did you ask the owner whether IMS and RMS have been taken care of? If not, and if that is something you want it done, consider adding 3k in the budget.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:15 AM
ttgroove
Advanced

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Not crazy high, but he'll have that car a long time if he's not willing to go below $26k. I would say $22k is more market value. No mention of IMSB upgrade, so there's a negotiation point right there. Sounds like a very nice car though. I would respectfully offer $22k, and if he doesn't take it then take solace in knowing there are many, many others out there. $26k puts you in C4S territory.
I am not sure if c4s can be had at 26k here in SF bay area.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:19 AM
serg911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Oh, and definitely get a PPI. That will likely give you a lot more negotiation ammo.
Thanks for info. Will definitely hope the PPI gives me more ammo.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:21 AM
serg911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ttgroove
I know which car you are referring to. It has been listed for quite sometimes. I want to say at least a few months. It looks like a nice car and I am surprised it is still available. Perhaps the price is bit high as the previous poster stated. As a point of reference, I paid 24k for 2002 Targa earlier this year. Original sticker lists it at 97k. Did you ask the owner whether IMS and RMS have been taken care of? If not, and if that is something you want it done, consider adding 3k in the budget.
Did ask, doesn't sound like it was done. I'm gonna talk to mechanic during PPI tomorrow and mention IMS and RMS.

Thanks for info
Old 03-30-2014, 04:23 AM
serg911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ttgroove
I am not sure if c4s can be had at 26k here in SF bay area.
Agreed. Doing research over past couple of months, and this '01 seems to be somewhat in range here in Bay...
Old 03-30-2014, 05:06 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

In your other thread, I posted that you buy the car that sings to you after it passes PPI. If this is the car, offer $24K (which I highly doubt the seller will accept...he has decided to sit on the car and stick with his asking/list price). Cali weather is warming up, this 01 is a cab...GIT R DONE.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:40 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

Here is my buying advice. Make sure it is the car you want with the options you want. Make sure of the PPI and condition. At $26K your options are almost unlimited for a 996.

Have you had a 996 before? If not spend a lot of time on the forums asking questions and looking at cars. Make sure it has the options you want, for example, never thought about Litronics until after I got the car. What radio, etc.

An OK interior can cost to bring it up to your liking. Spend a lot of time just sitting in the car and looking and make sure you can live with the wear. It is where you will spend most of the time.

Don't rush. I would pay $26K for "the" car I wanted. If it passed my inspection and a PPI.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:16 AM
street rod
Drifting

Received 248 Likes on 172 Posts

For reference I sold my 2001 C4 recently for $22K. It was in ex condition inside and out with the IMS/RMS done. I had a very similar build except no carbon package and I had 73K miles. I would say this car is worth $23K.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:29 AM
STAGGERWING
Advanced

Pd 19k for my 01 C4 in Dec 13 w/ 83k--new tires, front axles & complete brakes

Bob

--------------------------------

01 C4

31 Ford cp chp & ch, 302/350

40 ******, 302/350

38 Ford cp, 327/350

57 Belair

62 356B --long ago
Old 03-30-2014, 11:40 AM
serg911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kromdom
In your other thread, I posted that you buy the car that sings to you after it passes PPI. If this is the car, offer $24K (which I highly doubt the seller will accept...he has decided to sit on the car and stick with his asking/list price). Cali weather is warming up, this 01 is a cab...GIT R DONE.
I do remember that advice! I appreciate it.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:49 AM
serg911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Here is my buying advice. Make sure it is the car you want with the options you want. Make sure of the PPI and condition. At $26K your options are almost unlimited for a 996.

Have you had a 996 before? If not spend a lot of time on the forums asking questions and looking at cars. Make sure it has the options you want, for example, never thought about Litronics until after I got the car. What radio, etc.

An OK interior can cost to bring it up to your liking. Spend a lot of time just sitting in the car and looking and make sure you can live with the wear. It is where you will spend most of the time.

Don't rush. I would pay $26K for "the" car I wanted. If it passed my inspection and a PPI.

Yep - I have been doing a lot of reading about the 996. I have not owned one, this will be my first Porsche!

The ext is excellent and engine sounded great. Int wasn't overly impressive, but not sure I was expecting that with an '01 car.
Part of me also doesn't want everything in the car initially..kinda want to make it mine know what I mean?
But at $26k, should the int be immaculate?..

I'll also ask local mechanic doing PPI to give me a recommendation.

I'm a little nervous about rms and IMS to be honest. I'm guessing reading on boards that this should be done. Then there's others that say these issues effect only a small % of the cars...

Either way, I'm excited to get into Porsche family!
Old 03-30-2014, 12:35 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From what you've said, it does not sound as though the seller is very motivated to sell. If they were trading it in, the option list would have very little impact on the price that they received. Private sellers try to hike the price due to the options installed.

Quick Reply: 2001 911 C4?