996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Bad paint job..!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003 | 04:15 PM
phattey
Instructor

Default Bad paint job..!!!

Just went by the body shop to look at the Aero front and sides, which were just painted and installed on my '00 C4 Cab.

Car is literally two tone. I'm amazed at how "off" the color is. The bumper is tolerable...a little lighter than the rest on the hood and fenders, but not too bad...I think I'll leave that as is.

The side skirts are so off it's actually funny !!! The bodyshop owner stated it's sooooo hard to match that Arena Red Metallic. That's an interesting comment considering I had to water the money tree a while to pay their price.

What a bummer...Back in the shop to get it right.

Another 2 weeks...
Old 07-29-2003 | 04:21 PM
NiveK
Racer

i hate to say it, but they are not much of a body shop if they actually put them on the car and you can visibly see they don't match
Old 07-29-2003 | 05:00 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Bad paint job..!!!

Originally posted by phattey
Just went by the body shop to look at the Aero front and sides, which were just painted and installed on my '00 C4 Cab.

Car is literally two tone. I'm amazed at how "off" the color is. The bumper is tolerable...a little lighter than the rest on the hood and fenders, but not too bad...I think I'll leave that as is.

The side skirts are so off it's actually funny !!! The bodyshop owner stated it's sooooo hard to match that Arena Red Metallic. That's an interesting comment considering I had to water the money tree a while to pay their price.

What a bummer...Back in the shop to get it right.

Another 2 weeks...
What shop in Jax are you going to? I had my dealer purchased aerokit installed in Jax before taking delivery. They sent it to one of the body shops that they use (the name escapes me at the moment). The paint was so bad that I had them repaint the tail due to paint runs and fish eyes. The paint shop then got it into livable (not perfect) condition only for the paint on the wing blade to bubble a year later. I removed the wing and shipped it back only to find out that there was a bad batch from the factory and that PCNA would warranty it. When the wing blade got repainted they shipped it back only to find out that the shade was off. I decided at that point to find a local paint shop on my own, luckily the dealer took care of the paint charge. The local shop told me that Ocean Blue is a difficult color if they have nothing to match it to. I was pleased that Brumos took care of the paint issues, but I was perturbed about the lack of quality control at the shop they sent my car to.

Personaly, I would make them repaint the whole front clip if it does not match, along with the side skirts... with the car at their shop, they should have been able to match it perfectly. Regardless, I hope they get your car correct next time.
Old 07-29-2003 | 05:29 PM
Erik H
Advanced

I once had a new rear bumper painted on a 2000 Vesuvious Grey Metallic C2. (That is a difficult color to match.) Luckily I always garaged my car and the color was not faded. I was told that reds and yellows fade the most and can be difficult to match after many years. Also, I believe they told me that the metallic paints must be sprayed at a higher psi.

That being said,... Pulease!!! Any body shop with Porsche experience should be able to match this color. Most Porsche guys I have encountered are very proud of their work and would never have put the parts on the car. I say find another painter.
Old 07-29-2003 | 09:59 PM
phattey
Instructor

I went by this afternoon for a "quality" face 2 face with the bodyshop owner...it's Precison Frame & Carriage and yes, this is who Brumos recommended I use.

These bone heads don't use the paint code, but instead a paint swag sample...!! Unbelievable..!!! They eyeball the color then go mix it. !!!

The front bumper, is worse than I had thought. This afternoon the sun was hitting the car just right, and it looked terrible. Very flat, not deep like the other parts of the car.

I've never heard so many excuses from a business in my life. My recommendation is to avoid using these guys at all costs. If your in Northeast Florida...go somewhere else.

Their last statement to me was, "we'll try to get it as close as we can, and we'll call you later when it's done".

Ugh !!!
Old 07-29-2003 | 10:27 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by phattey
I went by this afternoon for a "quality" face 2 face with the bodyshop owner...it's Precison Frame & Carriage and yes, this is who Brumos recommended I use.

These bone heads don't use the paint code, but instead a paint swag sample...!! Unbelievable..!!! They eyeball the color then go mix it. !!!

The front bumper, is worse than I had thought. This afternoon the sun was hitting the car just right, and it looked terrible. Very flat, not deep like the other parts of the car.

I've never heard so many excuses from a business in my life. My recommendation is to avoid using these guys at all costs. If your in Northeast Florida...go somewhere else.

Their last statement to me was, "we'll try to get it as close as we can, and we'll call you later when it's done".

Ugh !!!
Yep... those are the ones that worked on my 996. Make sure you give the car a very thorough look over before you take delivery. I do not understand why Brumos keeps suggesting those yoyo's. They used to use Osteins. They had no problem matching a wing in Ferrari Light Yellow for my Mom's C4 cab. Tell them to get it right, not close. IF you wanted it close you would have used Maaco. That whole episode still ticks me off... Well at least you are local and you can keep bringing it back till they get it right.
Old 07-29-2003 | 10:28 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sounds like baloney to me. What is interesting is I know a Brumos customer who bought a Lapis Cab, then went back for a hardtop later. The top was Ocean Blue! Not sure if it came from dealer or from the body shop! Weird.

However, a high end body shop (like ours at Plug Headquarters) will do several sprayouts, even on a standard color (Speed, Guards, etc) to be absolutely sure they got it right BEFORE they paint the parts! The key is preparation, of both the materials AND the paint chemistry.

Give 'em another try. But you say 'another two weeks'....and that bothers me. A reputable shop will make it right the NEXT DAY. If they goofed, they fix it, and fix it right now. Otherwise you are dealing with clowns.

If they don't get it right, don't pay a dime. Take the car somewhere else. You might ask Hurley himself to take a look at the car if it's not right - since he owns the dealership.

Just my two cents.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 07-29-2003 | 10:57 PM
phattey
Instructor

I didn't go through Brumos...I simply asked them who should I use..??

Thus, Brumos probably won't intervene. I'm ready to call Snodgrass to get him involved if this crap continues...

It's absolutely amazing how hard a consumer has to work to get satisfaction for your money..!!

They also argued that the paint isn't Spies-Heckler, which I thought it was..

I'll keep you guys posted..

Old 07-30-2003 | 08:54 AM
NiveK
Racer

i believe unless you have a custom paint job on the car the paint codes can easily be obtained, and that is what they should be using, id blow a rod in there personally!

Quick Reply: Bad paint job..!!!