Sponsored by:

Liftbars

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 08:12 AM
jaeastri
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liftbars

Just curious if anyone has experience using Liftbars with a 996. I'm down to either these, or the Jackpoints jack stands. Personally, I think the liftbars are the better solution as they provide more height options using standard jack stands. I'm trying to avoid using the engine case or the rear crossmember as jack points, and I'd rather not spend $2k on a lift. Thanks in advance
Old 03-13-2014, 09:44 AM
BTERRY1
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry no experience but I like it. Hope you get some good feedback as I am interested too.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:14 AM
jamren
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I LOVE lift bars. Here is my 996 jacked up on lift bars. I can get the car jacked up in 5 minutes and I am not exaggerating. It really is that quick after you have done it a couple times. Note that you will need a low profile jack. I picked one up from Summit Racing.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:59 AM
bal
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought jackpoints but have not used them yet. Was not aware of lift bars. Seems like a good idea though.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:20 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Both are good ideas. jamren, how do you get everything lined up before jacking? Does the lift bar sit and balance on the jack so you can line up the pegs with the jacking holes?

The jackpoints make sense, but you only get one height. That's a big limitation.

Unless I really need to go high, I typically jack from the back jack point which can lift the entire car, then put jack stands at the front jacking point and under the rear crossmember.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:05 PM
jamren
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're exactly right. I balance it on the jack, line up the pegs and then jack it up.

Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
Both are good ideas. jamren, how do you get everything lined up before jacking? Does the lift bar sit and balance on the jack so you can line up the pegs with the jacking holes?

The jackpoints make sense, but you only get one height. That's a big limitation.

Unless I really need to go high, I typically jack from the back jack point which can lift the entire car, then put jack stands at the front jacking point and under the rear crossmember.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:30 PM
jaeastri
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the input! I was about to pull the trigger on jack points when I came across a thread for liftbars. While I love the concept of jackpoints, I don't think they provide enough clearance for dropping the engine and tranny
Old 03-13-2014, 10:42 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jaeastri
Thanks for all the input! I was about to pull the trigger on jack points when I came across a thread for liftbars. While I love the concept of jackpoints, I don't think they provide enough clearance for dropping the engine and tranny
These are able to get you 24" up?
Old 03-13-2014, 11:08 PM
JohnnyRocker
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
That's exactly how I raise mine but I have two jack points for the rear and two regular jack stands up front. I can't believe how quick I have the car up. It takes longer to break the lugs. It's rock solid too.

I don't have any knowledge of the liftbar but wanted to give a Jackpoint call-out for a great product. +1
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2014, 12:22 AM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,515 Likes on 834 Posts

I've never seen those LiftBars before, but those are a really slick idea.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:38 AM
Karl996
Advanced

A lift bar is easy. I made one to lift the whole rear up.

Think the picture in my avatar dhows it.

Happy to share measurements if anyone wants.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:26 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does seem like they would be easy to make out of square tube and solid round stock.

2003 Carrera 4S Speed Yellow / 1955 356 Continental 1500 Rust Red
Old 03-22-2014, 06:15 AM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought a set of liftbars last year and to be honest I havn't used them, because if your car is even slightly lowered (mines +/- 20mm lower), forget it.
I bought the liftbars and even with a low profile jack, I can't get it under the liftbar, so you still have to get your car jack out and blocks of wood to get the car high enough.
And the weight of about 10kg each (25lb) its not exactly easy manouvering jack centres & small locating nipples either. I wish I had saved my money!
Perhaps I'm weak & don't like challenges, but its not that hard to jack up the car once or twice a year.....
Old 03-22-2014, 12:50 PM
jaeastri
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stephen Tinker
I bought a set of liftbars last year and to be honest I havn't used them, because if your car is even slightly lowered (mines +/- 20mm lower), forget it.
I bought the liftbars and even with a low profile jack, I can't get it under the liftbar, so you still have to get your car jack out and blocks of wood to get the car high enough.
And the weight of about 10kg each (25lb) its not exactly easy manouvering jack centres & small locating nipples either. I wish I had saved my money!
Perhaps I'm weak & don't like challenges, but its not that hard to jack up the car once or twice a year.....
That's what i was afraid of. I'm considering installing the ROW MO30 suspension kit, which will drop the car approx. 20mm. I'm going to get a set of rhino ramps today for my first DIY oil change, then i'll figure out lifting the car for other maintenance. Thanks for the post btw
Old 03-22-2014, 02:29 PM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think car is supposed to be level for an oil change, can we use rhino ramps?

Quick Reply: Liftbars