Sponsored by:

Center Console Change Idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 02:14 AM
rxjohn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center Console Change Idea

So buddy found this company. I have no idea what process they do. But it looks neat.

Hydrographics

And I have my center console off.

Here are some prints they can do. They do a lot of camouflage which I'm not interested. But these look pretty cool and I think it might look ok for the center console.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:06 AM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks really cool and the price is right - $75 for a console. I like this one:

Name:  WTP-224-Silver-Carbon-Fiber.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  156.9 KB
Old 01-30-2014, 12:59 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

$75 isn't bad at all. I've seen the videos on this process and is very interesting to say the least. Wonder if they have an LV wrap?

Old 01-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

The carbon look graphics are cool on some stuff, but I wouldn't do it on a center console as it doesn't look like real carbon fiber at all, especially up close.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:02 PM
scorchpa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My console looked alot like yours.... pretty beat-up. I bought a 2'x5' piece of vinyl wrap and covered it myself... not very hard to do at all, and only cost $35 on ebay.

I went with the "3M Brushed Black Metallic" and I think it looks pretty good.... much better than it looked before and you can remove it at any time.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:32 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
The carbon look graphics are cool on some stuff, but I wouldn't do it on a center console as it doesn't look like real carbon fiber at all, especially up close.
I agree on the carbon style. I would do a different pattern. If I wanted the carbon look, I'd rather wrap it in 3M Dinoc CF Vinyl wrap(which I was originally planning on doing, now this has me thinking a different route).
Old 01-30-2014, 05:08 PM
dmw996
Instructor

I think it would look good. I assume they seal it properly for long-term wear? Please posts pic if you do it.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:17 PM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by scorchpa
My console looked alot like yours.... pretty beat-up. I bought a 2'x5' piece of vinyl wrap and covered it myself... not very hard to do at all, and only cost $35 on ebay.

I went with the "3M Brushed Black Metallic" and I think it looks pretty good.... much better than it looked before and you can remove it at any time.
You say it is not difficult to do but how do you install the vinyl with out getting any wrinkles? I've considered it for my seat back so my kids don't scratch them up.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:21 PM
Vasir
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i understand correctly, the vinyl wrap is fairly thick, so the wrinkling shouldnt be an issue. the reason i havent tackled this on my sl600 is because im a stickler for consistency, and would want the pattern to be at the same angle througout everything; and im not sure if im mentally prepared to be so ****...
Old 01-30-2014, 05:36 PM
scorchpa
Instructor

The vinyl is quite thin but when cold is quite rigid... until you put some heat to it (hair dryer), then it becomes extremely flexible, stretchy and easy to work with. You cut the approximate shape, then start on one end in the middle, working towards the edges. Heat and stretch.... if you get a wrinkle, just lift it off and try again... you can take as long as you want. once you are happy with the fit, you just cut the excess off with an exacto knife and squeege it down.... Remember too, it's really cheap and completely reversible, so don't have to worry about screwing up.

took about 45 minutes for me to do the center console and I've never worked with it before.... I'm sure a pro would have done a better job, but I'm happy with it. It would be very easy to do the back of the seats since there's not much contour to it... may not even have to heat it... just lay it on, squeege it out, then cut the edges .

Excuse the bad picture quality....

Old 01-31-2014, 02:51 PM
petonic
Instructor

@Scorpa, thanks for the intro to the process. You may give me the guts to go ahead and do it on my seat backs. They're pretty scratched up because I'm tall and I keep on hitting the wind deflector. My golf clubs across the back seat also tend to scuff up the back of the seat. Since my car is speed yellow, this would be a great match, I think, without putting delicate paint on the backs. Should be more durable, I'm thinking.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:05 PM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

I agree. I think I will give this a try too.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:07 PM
Vasir
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scorchpa
The vinyl is quite thin but when cold is quite rigid... until you put some heat to it (hair dryer), then it becomes extremely flexible, stretchy and easy to work with. You cut the approximate shape, then start on one end in the middle, working towards the edges. Heat and stretch.... if you get a wrinkle, just lift it off and try again... you can take as long as you want. once you are happy with the fit, you just cut the excess off with an exacto knife and squeege it down.... Remember too, it's really cheap and completely reversible, so don't have to worry about screwing up.

took about 45 minutes for me to do the center console and I've never worked with it before.... I'm sure a pro would have done a better job, but I'm happy with it. It would be very easy to do the back of the seats since there's not much contour to it... may not even have to heat it... just lay it on, squeege it out, then cut the edges .

Excuse the bad picture quality....

Interesting...

Originally Posted by petonic
@Scorpa, thanks for the intro to the process. You may give me the guts to go ahead and do it on my seat backs. They're pretty scratched up because I'm tall and I keep on hitting the wind deflector. My golf clubs across the back seat also tend to scuff up the back of the seat. Since my car is speed yellow, this would be a great match, I think, without putting delicate paint on the backs. Should be more durable, I'm thinking.
+1

Originally Posted by Revn29k00
I agree. I think I will give this a try too.
Me three!
Old 01-31-2014, 04:40 PM
scorchpa
Instructor

Quick note though.... if your paint is flaking (it was badly on my handbrake..), more small flakes may come off when you peel the vinyl off, but that's common sense really.... if there is no flaking, you can peel it off with no damage, and there is also no residue (that I detected at least).

I wiped everything down with 50% Isopropyl alcohol first... also make sure you are not in a dirty environment because little particles that get stuck underneath the vinyl can be a real pain.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:33 PM
alpine003
Banned

And I would say if you are doing anything with a pattern(ie carbon fiber, brushed aluminum, etc), make sure you match up the direction of the pattern.

Quick Reply: Center Console Change Idea