I got the itch!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:50 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Default I got the itch!

Gents,

I'm back! I've been on a 1-2 year hiatus working and traveling all over the world for business. My 996 is lucky to get 2-3k per year as she sits in the depths of my garage collecting dust.

I've had her for about 4 years now (I typically keep cars for about 48 months) and I am really itching for a change. A 996 Turbo is just slightly out of reach!!

So, I want need some suggestions..... either modifications/upgrades to keep me interested in my 996 or get different P-car.

Some ideas.....

-Exhaust tips
-Spoiler Upgrade
-Lip Spoiler
Old 01-21-2014, 10:50 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Dude where you been? Glad to see you are back. How about a supercharger? 200 cell cats...
Old 01-22-2014, 10:44 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Dude where you been? Glad to see you are back. How about a supercharger? 200 cell cats...

Hey! I've been working like a mad man and tied up with house projects... I'm ready for springtime and some upgrades/mods... 200 cell Cats or cat delete pipes? Any decent cosmetic upgrades you recommend?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:51 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RPMulli
Gents,
Some ideas.....

-Exhaust tips
-Spoiler Upgrade
-Lip Spoiler
These are ok in terms of aesthetics if that is what you're looking for but it will be for the benefit of others mainly as you'll be behind the wheel most of the time.

If you want something that will benefit your driving experience, I would have to say motor mounts, exhaust, shifter. These mods are something you'll notice 100% of the time while you're driving and could bring you enjoyment.

My $.02
Old 01-22-2014, 11:11 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by alpine003
These are ok in terms of aesthetics if that is what you're looking for but it will be for the benefit of others mainly as you'll be behind the wheel most of the time. If you want something that will benefit your driving experience, I would have to say motor mounts, exhaust, shifter. These mods are something you'll notice 100% of the time while you're driving and could bring you enjoyment. My $.02
Thank you sir. Motors mounts and shifter are great ideas!

Any particular mounts or shifter kits you recommend?
Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 PM
NineEreven
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some like B&M, some like numeric. I can't imagine there is a huge difference between them. I would go numeric over B&M personally though.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:24 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Thank you sir. Motors mounts and shifter are great ideas!

Any particular mounts or shifter kits you recommend?
Both motor mounts and shifters are a bit tricky in terms of recommendations since there is a subjective nature to them where one size doesn't fit all.

If you're after comfort and refinement more than anything else, I would have to say the aftermarket replacement mounts from Pelican Parts(Rein brand?) for the motor and OEM 997 shifter.

If you want more of that raw hard edged performance then either the Function First motor mounts(I have these and like them very much), OEM RS mounts, or Wevo. You can't go wrong with any of these. As for the shifter, OEM 997 ssk, OEM GT3(2010+ yr model), Numeric.

If you don't mind a decent amount of notchy feel, the Scnell or even ebay SSK(B&M knock off) are a good budget solution. I've had the genuine B&M and ebay in the past and felt and looked exactly the same.

my $.02
Old 01-22-2014, 03:08 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

If considering engine mounts, original equipment replacements are a great way to go and you'll definitely feel a difference. Another option are the WEVO semi-solid mounts which are sportier than the OE mounts in that they provide an even greater precise/direct feel however they may create more noise/vibration.

Both options are listed here.

Lots of engine mount info here on the list and reviews after install from 996 guys. Looking forward to seeing what you go with to cure that itch!
Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 01-22-2014, 03:35 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I was interested in the Wevo mounts back a few years ago. I definitely prefer a more rigid/sporty feel since I only drive my car a few thousand miles a year.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:40 AM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Tightening up the drivetrain makes for a significant improvement in shifting, handling, and overall driving experience. Check out our website and take a look at the Trans Mount Insert and Engine Mount Upgrade for your 996!

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:20 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by Function-First
Tightening up the drivetrain makes for a significant improvement in shifting, handling, and overall driving experience. Check out our website and take a look at the Trans Mount Insert and Engine Mount Upgrade for your 996!
What's the URL?
Old 01-24-2014, 02:44 AM
CarlosCA
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

RP, I had the (Fister) exhaust mod and shifter done same day. I would agree w Alpine that if you're looking for things that will improve YOUR experience with the car, these are hard to beat. Completely different car as far as the driving experience goes. Motor mounts are next...

Enjoy --
Old 01-24-2014, 07:50 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Fister D all the way...an you will never regret it! Inexpensive, and the sublime sound is music to your ears..........after that, it depends on how you drive your car.......head more towards track orientation or street............
Old 01-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

What's the URL?

www.function-first.com

Trans Mount Insert

Engine Mount Upgrade
Old 01-24-2014, 01:54 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by Country911
Fister D all the way...an you will never regret it! Inexpensive, and the sublime sound is music to your ears..........after that, it depends on how you drive your car.......head more towards track orientation or street............
Muffler mod already done a few years ago. I typically put in my bypass pipes in the springtime and my summer I put the muffs back on

Quick Reply: I got the itch!