996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Question on Coolant Filling with Uview Airlift

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 03:55 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Correct, vacuum pulls out all the air, so no air to make pockets. In fact, the only drawback to the Uview (besides price and needing a compressor, with a resevoir tank) is that if you have bad/soft hoses they will collapse in, under the vacuum, which I suppose can weaken them. It is very fast and clean to use. The instructions seem confusing, unitl you do it, then it's "OH, that was easy." There is JUST enough clearance under the hood.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:46 AM
stevencr
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Preparing to add 3rd radiator on my 981CS and will use the vacuum tool for the refill. Is it necessary to open the bleed valve when using the vacuum tool? Accessing the top of the engine in the new 981 is a PITA and I would be happy to avoid this step if even possible.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:28 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

No.......I didn't do that when I used mine but you need to burp the system with the bleed valve when you have the system full. I ran around town a couple days with it open.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:47 PM
stevencr
Rennlist Member

After several hours of forum research I realized the burp step is unavoidable. I tried like hell today to reach up from underneath the car to access the bleed valve d-ring.....no luck. I will be disassembling the interior for access. No big deal....all fun stuff.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:32 PM
Conan Dombroski
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thread revival!

I'm in the process of doing cooling stuff on my 2005 997 C2. I'm dealing with the whole Mt. Vesuvius of coolant as air tries to get out. So I decided to buy the airlift vacuum system. Question, though. What happens if I draw the vacuum on a system that is likely over half full? Is this OK? Also, do I put it on the reservoir where the blue cap goes? Or the pressure relief cap (square wire thingy next to the blue cap)?
Old 06-21-2016, 04:42 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Put it on the blue cap opening. I've never tried pulling vacuum on a partially filled system but I've heard it will work too. Let us know how it goes.

Originally Posted by Conan Dombroski
I'm in the process of doing cooling stuff on my 2005 997 C2. I'm dealing with the whole Mt. Vesuvius of coolant as air tries to get out. So I decided to buy the airlift vacuum system. Question, though. What happens if I draw the vacuum on a system that is likely over half full? Is this OK? Also, do I put it on the reservoir where the blue cap goes? Or the pressure relief cap (square wire thingy next to the blue cap)?
Old 06-21-2016, 05:30 PM
stevencr
Rennlist Member

+1. Blue cap. Should be no issue drawing vacuum on partially filled system.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:16 PM
Conan Dombroski
Instructor

I saw this thread that sounded like the same thing but it wasn't *exactly* the same so out of paranoia I'm asking for myself.

I put on the airlift vacuum and it got to almost 20 psi, then it dropped suddenly to 10-15 psi, spitting a bit of coolant. And just stayed there while attempting to draw a vacuum. It showed no signs of increasing. Just spitting (needle bouncing rapidly between 10 and 15 psi) the whole time. If I stop it, it holds a steady vacuum of ~13 psi, so I don't think there's a leak. It's almost like a seal opens at 15-20 psi and then closes again. I don't know.

The directions said some cars might need a hose clamped off to get the vacuum but I'm not seeing anything like that.

HELP please.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:11 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Our cooling system is completely sealed below the blue CAP neck so there are no hoses to clamp. When using the airlift, it should not suck any coolant out and if it does, you need to drain the coolant to make sure the airlift nozzle is NOT touching the coolant surface and start over.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:42 PM
Conan Dombroski
Instructor

I think it's just my wimpy air compressor. The airlift box says "at least 90 psi" but I'm pretty sure it's a cfm issue. Mine only does 5 or 5.5 cfm. After an hour I manged to get it down to 21 psi (or inches of water -- what ever the units on the gauge are). I filled it from there and took a test drive. Oil temp seemed normal after a little spirited drive and no Mt. Vesuvius of coolant like the last time I drove it. I'll let it cool down and see if the reservoir needs topping off.

Quick Reply: Question on Coolant Filling with Uview Airlift