Sponsored by:

Seat replacement options

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 01:25 PM
davidnyc
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Seat replacement options

I just started researching and need some guidance in the right direction to replace my driver's seat (possibly passenger also) in an 02 coupe that will be a fun car not daily that will see 5-10 track days a year and need access to back seat for child that rides every once in awhile in a booster seat. Go OEM? Aftermarket?
Old 12-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

Are you looking for a racing seat, or simply to replace a worn seat with something new?
Old 12-26-2013, 04:05 PM
davidnyc
Instructor

Probably both. The seat is worn (leather worn, there is a tear). So, I thought about going OEM Sport (used), but wondered if for the price there are sportier options out there? I figured, that a full bucket like a Recaro SPG or Sparco Evo, etc. will be out because I "think" I need my seat to recline/fold to get access to rear.

Unfortunately, this is all speculation, because I haven't driven/used my car yet and trying to research things to change as soon as I take delivery.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Factory sport seats are a great option, but they aren't always "plug and play". You'll need to find one that has the same options as your original seats (power, heat, etc.) or the wiring harness won't work.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:28 PM
davidnyc
Instructor

Any recommendations for aftermarket?
Old 12-26-2013, 08:59 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm on the same boat
Been looking at either Used GT3 seats or Recaro Pole Positions.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:30 PM
davidnyc
Instructor

Somewhat same boat....I may not want a fixed seat back.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:03 PM
6ta1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://rotteccarbon.com/

they have an OEM look-a-like that reclines.

Not one of the "big" aftermarket seat guys, and I do not believe they are FIA approved, but still seems like better quality than ebay seats.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by davidnyc
that will see 5-10 track days a year and need access to back seat for child that rides every once in awhile in a booster seat. Go OEM? Aftermarket?
Went through the process of seats in my 996 a few months ago. And since "track" is in your vocabulary, the rules may be different.

If you are going to run with PCA (I have not idea on NASA, HOD, etc) the rules are pretty clear. If you have stock Porsche seats, you can use the stock 3 point harness. As soon as you put in a race seat or one that has a Sparco, Recaro, etc label, you must have properly installed 5 or 6 point belts. That in turn means a harness bar or roll bar. Conversely, if you want to use 5 or 6 point belts, the seat must be designed to use them. They can not be original and modified to accept them. Also, unless you are a SOLO driver, the passenger seat and belts must match the driver's seat and belts.

A "loop hole" to that rule is the fixed back GT3 seats. Technically these are stock and you can use the standard 3 point belt. Access to the rear is tough but not impossible.

FWIW, I have a buddy that uses a harness bar with 6 point belts for the track with a Pole Position seat. He then removes the harness bar and seat after an event so his daughter can use the rear seat. The major difference is that his car is a 964 and seat hook up is a piece of cake compared to a 996.

I would start by checking with your local PCA DE Chair or Chief Driving Instructor for info on how they apply the rules. Each region has some latitude and thus some are looser than others.

Finally, IMO, forget the Roc-Tec seats for the track. They are neither tested or certified for track.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:58 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Factory sport seats are a great option, but they aren't always "plug and play". You'll need to find one that has the same options as your original seats (power, heat, etc.) or the wiring harness won't work.
The Factory US spec'd sport seats are plug and play. I've done the swap on my car. My car had the full power, lumbar,heat and no issues going to a different spec'd seat. Most if not all non sport seats will have at least full power portion so you shouldn't have any issues going to a sport seats. In my case I ditched the memory control module as most sport seats don't come with full power.

If you need reclining, the only other seat are the gt2 seats as far as factory option but they are super pricey.

What part of the leather is torn? These seats are more modular and sections can be replaced by themselves so that may be an option. If that's the case, I would just get a Recaro or Sparco for track use and swap them during track days.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alpine003
The Factory US spec'd sport seats are plug and play. I've done the swap on my car. My car had the full power, lumbar,heat and no issues going to a different spec'd seat. Most if not all non sport seats will have at least full power portion so you shouldn't have any issues going to a sport seats. In my case I ditched the memory control module as most sport seats don't come with full power.

If you need reclining, the only other seat are the gt2 seats as far as factory option but they are super pricey.

What part of the leather is torn? These seats are more modular and sections can be replaced by themselves so that may be an option. If that's the case, I would just get a Recaro or Sparco for track use and swap them during track days.
That's good news! I've hears horror stories of people trying to make the swap and not having everything work properly. Good to hear that it's an option.

I was considering a swap to factory sport seats to replace my worn seats. I actually found a seller here on rennlist who had a set of natural brown leather sport seats that were "as new" removed from his 996 GT3 and replaced with proper racing seats. We ultimately weren't able to agree on a price and he told me that the wiring harness wasn't compatible. Even if the plug fit, I would have lost some power options, power lumbar, memory, etc. Ultimately I ended up having a leather upholstery shop replace the damaged panels on my original seats. I also had seat heaters added while they were apart.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
. . . If that's the case, I would just get a Recaro or Sparco for track use and swap them during track days.
Don't mean to throw cold water on the idea because I like it. But swapping out seats is a real PITA. I would only revert to my power seats if it was to be permanent.

There is a pretty good DIY over on RennTech. Read it and understand what you will be doing.

No matter what you do, remember to keep the key to the car somewhere other than where you are doing the work. You don't want to throw a CEL that the dealer has to reset.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:54 PM
davidnyc
Instructor

Thanks for the info. I have been around HPDE for about 15 yrs and I am at the point where I just want minimal prep before a track day. So whatever seats (tires, suspension, brake pads, etc.) have to remain on the car when not at the track. So that is why I am thinking sport seats (and maybe the cg lock). I will only do a fixed back seat, harness, and rollbar as a full system. Not pick and choose among the three. Also, one good reason I sold my track/street S2000 for the 996 is the back seat. I want to have a fun drive with the whole family, not just myself.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:28 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal
Finally, IMO, forget the Roc-Tec seats for the track. They are neither tested or certified for track.
THIS!

Seats are a primary part of the safety system in your car. Factory seats, and the FIA aftermarket racing seats are tested to make certain they can stand up to substantial impacts. Other seats that look nice may or may not be. As an instructor, I will not ride in a car that has knock-off seats. Regardless of whether you go with fixed back, or folding seats, stick with Porsche, or one of the reputable aftermarket manufacturers (Sparco, Recaro, Cobra,...)
Old 12-28-2013, 10:02 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal
Don't mean to throw cold water on the idea because I like it. But swapping out seats is a real PITA.
I disagree. You slide your seat back, undo 2 torx bolts and unplug seat wiring harness, slide seat forward and undo 2 rear torx bolts, then remove. It takes me under 5 minutes for each side. YMMV.

I will say the weight of the seats can make it a PITA to maneuver out of the car without scratching if you're not careful.

Quick Reply: Seat replacement options