996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on what IMS in a 2008 reman 3.4

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

I was taking the 2008 as the year of the engine's manufacture and pointing out Porsche does not sanction swapping newer model engines into older model cars.

Using numbers from your post then the only MY engine that is sanctioned would be a 1999 through 2001. Now it is possible someone sourced a remanufactured 1999-2001 engine circa 2008 and installed the engine. This is ok, that is at least it stays within the sanctioned model years.

If the engine is truly a 2008 engine, then I restate my concern about the compatibility of the engine.

Of course, if the OP has test driven the car and is satisfied with that aspect of the car or choses to dismiss it out of hand, then nevermind.

As for the question about the bearing size or style and whether it is serviceable or not I can't answer that. I have stayed remarkably and intentionally uninformed about all the IMSB and model year issues, which MY has what flavor of bearing, which are replaceable, and so on.

As other posters already touched upon the OP I think could help by posting the engine's serial number. If there is any way to tell which bearing the engine came with, at least from the factory, that would be the way. If the engine was remanufactured by an indy shop, then what the shop did in this bearing area may render whatever the serial number has in the way of connection to bearing inconsistent or invalid.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:27 PM
sting7777
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Of course, if the OP has test driven the car and is satisfied with that aspect of the car or choses to dismiss it out of hand, then nevermind.

As other posters already touched upon the OP I think could help by posting the engine's serial number.
Agreed however car is not local to me. Working on getting that info and will share.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on what IMS in a 2008 reman 3.4