Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

car wont start, no electronics work, battery?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 04:53 PM
nealM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the response, I did try jumping it from the engine bay terminals..

also, after the remote battery charger failed (it was borrowed from some random guy which Porsche Roadside sent)

After it failed I used my other car as the power source and it still wouldnt start.. should I try different jumper cables?

I think I am going to buy a good battery charger and try again..

Last edited by nealM; 07-22-2003 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:05 PM
DaveH
Advanced

Neal:
Have you called Porsche Roadside? When I bought my last car I left it for a couple of weeks and it was dead - turned-out it was the auto shut-down to conserve battery and they walked me through something similar to what Loren suggested - but I also think it involved more than just opening the car with the key - isn't there also a procedure when you put it in the ignition. I'd look in my manual but I've not got it handy. Sorry if this isn't applicable and I'm talking ****.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:42 PM
nealM
Advanced

Yep, I tried what Loren suggested..
I looked in the manual and couldnt find anything about a "auto shut down"
but this does make sense as the car was only sitting for about 3 weeks..

I did call Porsche Roadside and they sent some random guy with a batterypack jump starter which enabled me to open the hood/trunk but we still werent able to jump start the car... we then tried to jumpstart the car using his car as the powersource but still no luck..

what WWest said sounds like what has happened, even though I dont understand how the battery could drain so quickly when it is new and this has never happened to me with any of my other cars which sat for a few weeks...

I would like to remove the battery and have it charged except now I have no way to open the trunk since I no longer have that batterypack jump starter to open it with...
(I had to close everything since it started raining)

thanks again for all the responses, this is really frustrating

Last edited by nealM; 07-22-2003 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:30 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the "official" procedure from my MY99 Owners Manual:
Load switch-off after two hours or five days
Various electrical systems on the car will be switched off at certain internals to preserve battery power and to prevent unnecessary discharging of the battery.

If the ignition key is removed, loads which are switched on or in standby (e.g. power windows, luggage compartment lighting, interior light, radio) are automatically switched off after approximately 2 hours.
If the vehicle is locked, the loads are switched off after approximately 10 minutes.

If the car is not started or unlocked with the remote control within 5 days, the remote control standby function is switched off. In this case the remote control cannot be used to unlock the car.
The car can be unlocked only with the car key. To reactivate the remote control, the ignition has to be switched on once.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:48 PM
nealM
Advanced

I dont think that is my problem because the car wasnt locked at all during the 3 weeks it was driven and the ignition key stayed in it

what a pain...
Old 07-22-2003, 09:48 PM
Juan
Instructor

Really unique and little known Porsche 996 FEATURE.

DEAD battery.

Walk out to your 996, step in and turn on the radio with the ignition key in your pocket.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:51 PM
ruey220
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol...speaking of this thread, i just find it funny because i had this same problem a few months ago when I had a check engine light.

to make a long story short, we purposely locked the car with power doorlocks prior to disconnecting the battery for security reasons. I was so panicked when I later discovered the hood also gets locked when the power door locks are engaged that even using the key on the door was useless.

We were so scared it was getting late and dark on the street I was going to rip the whole door side out to unlatch the hood lock or break it off just to get the battery connected.

Good thing I read the manual before that and found the bridge in the back. But the problem was still that since the battery was connected, the bridge had not enough juice to power the doorlocks.

In the end I had to use two jumpers at once that we got just to give enough gauge on the wire to pass all the juice from another car to the Porsche. This is such a nightmare I said I will never let that battery go drain with the car locked with the central locking sys.

Quick Reply: car wont start, no electronics work, battery?