Sponsored by:

Cabrio hood microswitch

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 01:38 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cabrio hood microswitch

A few weeks ago, I managed to bust the locking microswitch mechanism on my cabrio top. Its the hook thing that locks the hood to the windshield and pushes up against a little microswitch. As far as I can see this tells the electrics that the hood is closed and so it will close the rear quarterlight windows. Currently I have to hold the hook in place as I close the hood.

Anyway, my dealer tells me this is a common problem but an expensive item to repair. Some guy is selling a switch on ebay for $250 and claims the item is over $1k normally. But even $250 this is bloody expensive for a microswitch.

Would like to hear from others who have had the same problem. Is there an easy and cheaper way to fix this microswitch?
Old 07-21-2003, 11:48 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

anyone...
Old 07-21-2003, 01:25 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

I think rather than "hood", you mean "top"?

Anyway, I have not seen the issue come up here for discussion in the last 12 months or so. I just did a search, found nothing, but I don't know if the search feature is working yet or not.

I do know that the boxter has had a bunch of problems like this, one for example is the misalignment of the top position sensor, which results in the top not closing completely. Try over there (boxter site) they may be able to help.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:57 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Yes, thanks. there's that you say tomayto and I say tomato thing again.
Sorry. Top of course.

Strangely I don't know how I bust it. I think it was misalignment. I just closed the top and found that the rear windows would not come up when I locked the car. I took it the dealer and they instantly knew what the proble was and said it was a commen problem. But he said he could not fit it under warranty. I am a little peaved at this as on one hand he is admiting that its a manufacturing fault and on the other he tells me to go fish.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:58 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are several microswitches on the top. Can you take a photo of what is broken and post it here ?
Old 07-21-2003, 03:11 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Will do Loren but will have to wait until tomorrow. Its midnight here. Fishing about in the garage with the camera will get "her in doors" to chuck a mental :-)
Old 07-22-2003, 11:25 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Hi Loren, here are the photos.
The catch or hook that I am pointing to in the photos seems to be the problem. I have to hold it in place else the roof fails to latch on to the windscreen.

I think it slides down and stops the mechanism working properly. If I press the hook up I can hear the microswitch click. So maybe its not the switch just the hook.

Thanks once again for your unfailing help.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:27 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Woops two images didn't turn out. Must tell John that his URL's are case sensative.

Old 07-22-2003, 12:10 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Send me your email address (privately) and I'll send you a TSB for Convertible Top Latch Cover Replacement and another TSB for Convertible Top Side Flap Microswitch Modification.

Quick Reply: Cabrio hood microswitch