Sponsored by:

New Guy thinking of 996

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 02:54 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Wagner
Thank you everyone for the posts. I am starting to feel much better. I am curious and nobody had answered the question yet. Are the LN bearings kits durable to the extent that there should be no worries until there recommended replacement at 50k?
No one really knows......most folks that have got this have not put close to those miles on yet.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:31 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

There is no difference between 02 and 04s except an 02 will be cheaper to upgrade to a decent stereo. 02s are better in my book if both are the same condition. Buy condition of the car and not MY. Difference between a 9 and 7 year old car is in maintenance records and owner upkeep.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Mark Wagner
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
There is no difference between 02 and 04s except an 02 will be cheaper to upgrade to a decent stereo. 02s are better in my book if both are the same condition. Buy condition of the car and not MY. Difference between a 9 and 7 year old car is in maintenance records and owner upkeep.
So why is it cheaper to upgrade the stereo in an 02?
Old 11-28-2013, 08:26 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Wagner
So why is it cheaper to upgrade the stereo in an 02?
You won't have to deal with the more complex Bose MOST fiber optic system which is more difficult to do a straight forward upgrade found in the newer models.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
See Item #6 in Post #9. I seriously doubt you will find anything more specific than that.

The link in Roadsessions's post above (#26) is a great one too.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy one with orange side markers. It's abundantly obvious that anyone with such a monstrosity on the road is so clueless that they probably never changed the oil, drove at the wrong RPMs, and generally abused the car. That's the best tip you can get about buying a 996. Orange side markers = automatic pass on that car.
Mine still has the pumpkins and that's the way it will stay. Plus I defy all comers that my 911 car is probably the best maintained 911 car on the planet. BTW it is certainly not for sale. Not now, not never, no way. The orange side markers is my way of personalizing my car. Plus the lettering on the engine lid. You will all know it's hurdi's if you see it on the road. Sorry, I should have said, if you see it whip past you and leaves you in a cloud of dust, on the road haha. The only thing I will not address until I find anything untoward in the filter, is the dreaded bearing etc.. I have the double race bearing and will keep it that way. Don't think I haven't checked it for leakage. I have. Mark buy a 1999 or 2000 with the double race bearing and about 50000 to 75000 miles on the clock if you get chance and sleep well my friend. I still have 6 months left on an extended warranty on mine and the car just will NOT break down. WHY.. because I maintain it myself. It will eventually but I have saved a lot of money in advance by doing my own maintenance. There will come a day when a job will be too complicated for me to do and that's when it goes in for repair. It's in much better shape now than ever it was when I first got the car.

BTW I have the guys on this forum and 6speed on line forums and youtube to thanks for most if not all of my DIY maintenance.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:00 AM
Sarki
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Mark-
I'm new to the forum and also in the market for a new toy. Can't decide between a 996 or 997. Also considering a 993 but they seem to be red hot in terms of price these days.
Been reading about the IMS issues and agree with lots of comments about the issue being made to sound way worse and way more common than it actually is.
Can't really help you with the decision as I'm working out the same decision in my mind but would like to hear from others on there thoughts about the 996 vs. 997 as I see you were also considering a 997.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:30 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

It's not like 993's are problem free... Replacing valve guides every 50-70K miles is a heck of a lot more expensive than changing the IMSB every time you do the clutch.

It's pretty absurd how much negative attention the IMSB gets. Every generation of 911 so far has has the potential for costly engine issues, the M96 is IMHO much less expensive of an engine to own/maintain than any previous 911.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:12 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarki
Hey Mark-
I'm new to the forum and also in the market for a new toy. Can't decide between a 996 or 997. Also considering a 993 but they seem to be red hot in terms of price these days.
Been reading about the IMS issues and agree with lots of comments about the issue being made to sound way worse and way more common than it actually is.
Can't really help you with the decision as I'm working out the same decision in my mind but would like to hear from others on there thoughts about the 996 vs. 997 as I see you were also considering a 997.
996.2 and 997.1 are the identical platforms except for a few changes to front headlights and interior

So go with the one that fits your budget and taste
Old 11-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Just buy a clean, documented 996 or 997, do a ppi including inspecting the oil pan and filter for metal particles, do 5K oil changes again looking for metal in the filter, and don't sweat replacing the IMS until you need a clutch or see metal.

The IMSB is way, way, way overhyped of an issue. Personally I think it's crazy to just 'automatically' replace the IMSB on a car that doesn't otherwise need the tranny dropped.
Spot on with your assessment!
Old 11-29-2013, 10:56 PM
Mark Wagner
Instructor

Thanks again guys. Another question geared toward the 4s. Is there much more maintenance surrounding a 4s vs. the Carrera. I plan on doing as much as I can myself as far as regular maintenance but I am sure there are some proprietary tools required for some items.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:40 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The IMSB is way, way, way overhyped of an issue. Personally I think it's crazy to just 'automatically' replace the IMSB on a car that doesn't otherwise need the tranny dropped.
Haha. Tell Porsche that. Even they admit its a huge issue. Its now considered a PM item and better be replaced 30K to 50K.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Haha. Tell Porsche that. Even they admit its a huge issue. Its now considered a PM item and better be replaced 30K to 50K.
I agree. There wouldn't be a legal settlement if it weren't an issue.

That said, what's so hard about changing the clutch, IMS, RMS and water pump after buying the car? Just add $3-4k cost to the car in your mind, and then have peace of mind.

If you can't afford $3-4k in costs, you shouldn't buy a Porsche to begin with.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Mark Wagner
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve's MLC
I agree. There wouldn't be a legal settlement if it weren't an issue.

That said, what's so hard about changing the clutch, IMS, RMS and water pump after buying the car? Just add $3-4k cost to the car in your mind, and then have peace of mind.

If you can't afford $3-4k in costs, you shouldn't buy a Porsche to begin with.
That was my original thought. Buy the one I want then just do the work for piece of mind and knowing what I have.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:53 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
OP, you can subscribe to the 5-10% non risk taking crowd, the living room trophy conversion crowd, or the drive it and enjoy it crowd.

If you go on any car forum, there will always be one or two of those issues that will never die. In this case it's magnified due to the costs involved.

For me personally every time the IMS comes up, I'm reminded of this scene for some reason...

Old 11-30-2013, 06:48 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
...you can subscribe to the 5-10% non risk taking crowd, the living room trophy conversion crowd, or the drive it and enjoy it crowd...
Perfect!
Color me Cat III. I don't suggest ignoring the issue, just monitoring the situation and not overreacting to it.

Quick Reply: New Guy thinking of 996