Sponsored by:

Oil pressure gauge issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:30 PM
medent
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil pressure gauge issue

I drove my wife's 996 this evening and noticed that the oil pressure gauge was above the top mark of 5. So I stopped and turned the car off. The gauge went to 0. I turned the ignition to position 2 but didn't start the car yet and the gauge shot up to above 5. And the same reading when it started.
When I got home I tried the same on my 996 and the gauge stayed at 0 when the key was turned to position 2. It normally sits around 4 when driving (if I recall correctly).
Any idea what might be causing this? A faulty gauge or sensor? Or something more serious?
Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil pressure sending unit. Google for it. Easy DIY, you'll need a crows foot wrench, and it easiest to access by removing passengers side rear wheel.

Good luck,

DS
Old 11-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Invius
Oil pressure sending unit. Google for it. Easy DIY, you'll need a crows foot wrench, and it easiest to access by removing passengers side rear wheel.

Good luck,

DS
If my memory serves me correctly I believe its a 19mm crow foot that he needs and you get to the unit from inside the engine bay. I believe that it is on the passenger side above the wheel well. check this page out.. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ement-diy.html You are looking at $70/$80 for the part. I would clean up the contacts and try it again before sending off for a new one. Or put yours on her car and test it that way. Hers solved? get one for your car.

Last edited by Hurdigurdiman; 11-06-2013 at 10:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure gauge issue