996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PPI when buying from a Porsche Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 01:17 PM
scorchpa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default PPI when buying from a Porsche Dealer?

Looking at purchasing a 2003 996 from a certified Porsche (new and used) Dealer.

Car has <60,000 miles, and pics look like it's in good condition. Also, looks like there is a decent maintenance history on the car (reported on Carfax other than 2008-2012 where the car was driven 12,000 miles during that time).

Carfax shows that the dealer did the following when they got the car
  • Pre-delivery inspection completed
  • Maintenance inspection completed
  • Washed/detailed
  • Oil and filter changed
  • Body electrical system checked
  • Safety inspection performed
  • Emissions inspection performed

Being that the seller is a Porsche dealer, can I just have them do the PPI? do I get a rival dealer or independent to do a PPI, or just get a copy of the inspection reports and take them at their word, (not get a PPI)?
Old 10-30-2013, 01:27 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If it was a dealer I was familiar with and trusted I'd talk to my service advisor and get their opinion. If it's not one that you know/trust, get a third party PPI.

A simple test might be to call them and ask them what things need to be done to the car and what they'd recommend. Since they are a P-Car dealer they should know the 996 well and if they (trying to sell the car) tell you everything is in great shape and nothing needs to be done, get the second opinion (it is a 10 year old car, there are things that *should* be done). If they give you a list of things that should be on your radar (and they jive with reality), I'd say that's a good sign they are being honest.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:32 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

A PPI is for your protection. Having the selling dealer perform the PPI is a conflict of interest in my opinion. I'm not trying to imply that the dealer will do anything wrong or underhanded, but I feel that it would be better to have a qualified independent mechanic do a PPI. A reputable dealer shouldn't object to this.

You could also trust the dealer if you don't want to deal with the hassle of an independent PPI, but you do this at your own risk. Does the dealer provide any warranty or protection from unforeseen problems?

The nice thing about a thorough PPI is that it allows you to identify issues and then negotiate the remedies into the final selling price. My C4S needed several significant repairs that were revealed in my PPI. I negotiated with the seller to make the necessary repairs.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:40 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Ask if you can get one done independently. If they say sure, get one. If they say no or even try to discourage you, run from the car.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:58 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It also boils down to the thoroughness(or the lack of ) of the PPI.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:03 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think a good reputable dealer will do an excellent PPI - they have a huge reputation issue to protect. I would go ahead and ask their svc dept to do a PPI - ask them to have their shop foreman to do it.

For what it's worth Porsche Danbury did my PPI and they were extremely thorough. The documentation was extremely detailed.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:27 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by roadsession
I think a good reputable dealer will do an excellent PPI - they have a huge reputation issue to protect. I would go ahead and ask their svc dept to do a PPI - ask them to have their shop foreman to do it.

For what it's worth Porsche Danbury did my PPI and they were extremely thorough. The documentation was extremely detailed.
I'm sorry, but I disagree I agree with Dennis C., there is a conflict of interest with the dealer doing a PPI on their own vehicle. Ask the dealer if you can have an independent PPI done at your expense and if they say no, then you decide whether or not to take their word that the vehicle is up to consumer standards. IMO, if your spending more then $10K on a vehicle, the best insurance is a good pre-purchase inspection.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I would never trust the seller to do an inspection on anything I purchase, be it a car, house, hooker...whatever.

That goes double for the dealer in my neighborhood. Have an Independent inspection done. Best $$$ you can spend.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:59 PM
996Ray
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1
Old 10-30-2013, 07:25 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

The worst PPI I ever had done was at a Porsche dealer (only time I ever used a Porsche dealer for anything and against my better judgment BTW...). They had the car nearly a week and next to nothing was done. Seeing how poorly the whole thing played out they never even brought up the subject of payment. Free - but worthless.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:56 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Indy PPI without doubt. Since the newest 996's are now 10 years old, the best 996 mechanics live in the Indy shops. The Porsche dealer mechanics are focused on the newer models, or so I'm told by a dealer mechanic friend. And of course there's the issue of the fox guarding the chicken coop with the seller doing the PPI.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:27 AM
AA717driver
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Car dealers are car dealers regardless of how high-end the vehicles are.

Go Indy.

TC
Old 11-04-2013, 11:39 PM
sds911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Although I purchased a CPO car and did not get a PPI, I would strongly recommend that you do so. There were several issues the dealer did not catch (and even did not acknowledge after I brought it to their attention). I came out of pocket to replace things that should have been done during the CPO process. I would have an independent do the PPI. Porsche North America was ZERO help. Rather disappointing.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:20 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend works in the auto industry at a very high level. He laughs at the accolades given to PPI. He says " no matter what standards are presented by the manufacturer, the inspection is only as good as the person doing it locally, which means the inspections are all over the map. It's not like Porsche is dispatching someone from corporate to look at your car". His company has the same thing and he sees the results. I took my dealer at their word and thankfully they exceeded every one of my expectations. IMO, it would be more important to negotiate how they would handle any problems you incur, that way you reduce or eliminate the X factor of who inspects it, you save the cost and if something is overlooked you have discussed the path forward with the selling dealer. If you can get whatever they offer you in writing then you are the king of rock and roll.
The following users liked this post:
ArcticOne (08-29-2020)
Old 11-05-2013, 10:56 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Do the PPI with a third party, if only to judge the dealer's reaction to the request. They should do it without hesitation, and probably offer to transport the car if the other shop is local. If they hesitate then you know it is time to start asking hard questions / transition from friendly to aggressive.

Car dealers will be car dealers.

Let us know what you did!

Quick Reply: PPI when buying from a Porsche Dealer?