Sponsored by:

ANother Key Fob problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 09:45 AM
narkose
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANother Key Fob problem

I recently acquired a '03 C4S and got both keys. Both keys start the car without problems.

#1 works fine when the lock/unlock button is depressed(LED flashes and the car does what it should)

#2 initially had a very faint glow but then disappeared. I replaced the battery and the LED now flashes the same as the other(quickly for the lock/unlock, intermittent quick for trunk) BUT it still does not have an effect on the immobilizer

I have read a few forums that suggested holding button in within 6 seconds of turning car off. Another said to reverse polarity on the battery for 10 seconds and then correct. Neither of these "tips" have helped.

I did have 2 instances where the #2 key unlocked the car(even moved the seats and mirrors) and unlocked the trunk but was not able to duplicate again.

Does anybody have any other tricks or am I simply going to have to replace/reprogram the #2 key?
Old 10-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Sounds like the #2 key is bad... Keep it as a spare and just use the #1 key.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:18 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

You mentioned "immobilizer", which is the RF-ID "pill" in the key fob to allow engine to be started, so I think you really meant the alarm system and the door lock/unlock.

I suspect the frequency of your fob 2 may have drifted slightly so it's no longer transmitting within the correct frequency range, old garage door opener remotes can do that, I had tweaked the frequency adjustment inside on those many years ago, may not be as easy these days for a car remote fob.

A new key comes with a tag with some specific set of numbers which the dealer will need to program the fob with, so there is no way to re-program your existing fob #2 unless you have the tag for it.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:38 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Like this one.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: ANother Key Fob problem