996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rough Idle - Shaking Passengers Seat

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 01:02 AM
Karl996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engine mounts (Wevo's) cured the passenger seat vibration on mine.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Just started the car cold and it ticked over at 900rpm. I removed the oil cap with ease and it dropped to 700rpm but then it was ticking rather chunkey. When the engine was over 180F degress, it ticks over very smooth at a smidgers over 600rpm. I had just put a new air filter in and removed the serpentine belt and all pulley wheels were smooth to turn with no play what so ever in any.

Last edited by Hurdigurdiman; 10-25-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:00 PM
SingallZ
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

So got word back from Porsche, I love being right, AOS is going and they said: "For now its okay, however it will get worse and it will need to be replaced. Start planning for this as it is not a small repair"

I'm going to drop the engine and fix this along with few other maintenance pieces (i.e. valve cover gasket leak and Inspect IMS bearing, clutch, RMS), the previous owner said he had replaced them and had receipts to prove it, but I like piece of mind
Old 11-24-2013, 09:56 PM
Kechu
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Problem Solved!

After all your very comments, I took on trying to narrow down my options by more closely looking at my symptoms.

My throttle body was clean as a whistle, I did not had have even a trace of smoke coming out of my muffler, and even though I do have some vacuum at idle on my oil cap, it is minimal (no problem at all removing the cap). So, AOS diagnose relegated to not very probable.

I went over the service documentation and found that the sparkplugs had been recently changed. Also, the car has a strong and even pull throughout the RPM range. So, ignition and fuel delivery was also relegated. Nevertheless, sparkplug change is next in line for my DIY.

This left the engine mounts. And after looking at the issue more closely, I also noticed a rough gear change between 1st and 2nd when under torque.

So, bought the replacements at Pelican and installed the yesterday: WHAT A CHANGE! The shaking seat is gone, the car feels much smoother, and the gear changes have also improved.
Easy and straightforward DIY project. Highly recommend it to any 996 with 65K plus in the odo.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:00 PM
Kechu
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 16 Posts

Name:  WP_20131123_006.jpg
Views: 1488
Size:  602.1 KB

picture of busted mount.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle - Shaking Passengers Seat