996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oil looks Dirty after change

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

We had a jeep one time went in for an oil and filter change . I took it and the guy after about half an hour said 'OK you can take it now' So I drove across the car park and the sound of the engine did not sound right. I do not play music when driving but my wife always does. Its a good job it wasn't my wife driving it as I heard a loud whistling and on checking my rear view mirror, saw the owner waving frantically and running across the car park. They had completely forgotten to put new oil in the car after dropping the old oil. The owner thought his son had put new oil in and the son thought his father had put new oil in. Neither had, so there was I setting off in a jeep Cherokee with no oil in the engine. Needless to say that was the last time that I ever used that garage.

Savorystout I use the same oil as you do in the Porsche...changing it every 5000 Miles along with a new filter. I too buy it on line from Amazon.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:48 PM
donking
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Oil can darken pretty quickly after a change, especially if they didn't warm the engine/oil thoroughly before draining and/or let it sit for a while after removing the drain plug to drain out as much of the old oil as possible. Neither step is a tech highly incentivized for as he (she?) needs to churn and burn cars through his rack to make any money. ...
Originally Posted by soverystout
It can take a few hours for the oil to completely drain out of a 996 engine. If there were no marks on the oil filters housing after the first oil change, they didn't change the filter and all the dirty oil just mixed in with the clean. ...
Originally Posted by Imo000
Well not exactly, the amount of oil in the filter housing isn't much when compared to the rest. Therefore, not touching the filter will hardly make a difference. Also, the colour of the oil is meaningless too.
This is what I'm wondering about, how much dirty is left normally versus the tech forgetting to change the filter. When I perform a change, I put in about 1/2 quart of fresh oil when the drain plug is out to help flush-out the old oil.

I was also thinking there may be some baffles or something in the location from where I'm taking the sample. I just put a hose down the dipstick tube and pump-out a few ounces. To test this I went for a short drive on some twisty roads before taking another sample, but there was no difference in the color from the 2nd sample.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:24 PM
donking
Intermediate

Question

Originally Posted by targa996
My Mobil 1 stays golden for at least 1k miles probably more like 3k ...
Originally Posted by alpine003
How does the oil look when you drip some on a paper towel?
It is somewhat deceiving as looking at the dipstick or some drops on a paper towel does not show the oil as dark as a larger sample. You can see this in the first pic if you look at the cap of the sample bottle.

Hey Targa996, do you take samples or is the 1k and 3k color just from the dipstick or drops on a paper towel?
Old 10-22-2013, 09:37 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

They might have just sucked the old oil out through the dipstick or fill tube. That is the way the Mercedes dealer did oil changes when we took ours in for the "free" oil change every 10k during warranty period. The oil always looked dirtier then at the 5k interval when I changed it. I changed it at 5k so every other, half assed dealer change (IMO), was free.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:11 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by donking
It is somewhat deceiving as looking at the dipstick or some drops on a paper towel does not show the oil as dark as a larger sample. You can see this in the first pic if you look at the cap of the sample bottle.

Hey Targa996, do you take samples or is the 1k and 3k color just from the dipstick or drops on a paper towel?
Exactly the opposite thinking. It always looks darker filled in a bottle even though the oil might be relatively new. However if you pour some drops on a paper towel, you can tell its true condition between a 5k oil vs. 100 mile oil even though they both may look dark in a bottle.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:21 PM
donking
Intermediate

Exactly the opposite thinking. It always looks darker filled in a bottle even though the oil might be relatively new. However if you pour some drops on a paper towel, you can tell its true condition between a 5k oil vs. 100 mile oil even though they both may look dark in a bottle.
If you look at the 3rd picture, the side-by-side of new oil in the same type of bottle as the "just changed oil" there is a big difference in the color. I don't have the before sample to compare, that is why I'm asking for opinions.

I can try to get pictures of a comparison with drops on a paper towel, though I think the camera may not pick it up well.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:00 PM
sds911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just changed my oil 221 miles ago with Mobil 1 0W40. The oil on the dipstick looks light and clean, in clear plastic tubing like dark honey, and in an oil analysis container much darker.
Attached Images    
Old 10-23-2013, 09:08 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by sds911
I just changed my oil 221 miles ago with Mobil 1 0W40. The oil on the dipstick looks light and clean, in clear plastic tubing like dark honey, and in an oil analysis container much darker.
Why so few miles on the oil change?
Old 10-23-2013, 09:18 PM
sds911
Rennlist Member

I just took a sample from the dipstick tube so the OP could see that oil looks dark even after a fresh change. Took out 3 ounces, and will put 3 fresh ounces back in. In other words, the dealer probably changed the oil and filter, and Mobil 1 probably changes color as soon as the engine reaches operating temps and the oil runs through the system.

As you will recall from my Blackstone report, my last oil change was at 58xxx miles on Oct 8, and I've only put another 221 miles on since. I used an oil extractor to pull this sample from the dipstick tube (which is how I change the oil on our Mercedes C350). For the porsche, I drain from the drain plug and change filter each time.

I was just trying to provide "data," to ease the OP's concern about his recent dealer oil changes. Of course, it is really easy to change oil on the 996, and I would encourage the OP to watch the video, buy some rhino ramps, an oil filter wrench, oil drain pan and socket set and/or torque wench and do it in about 20 to 30 minutes tops on his own. Then the OP will know for sure the work was done, and for about 70 bucks (not including the getting started costs). I personally had never changed my own oil on my cars, until I paid a Porsche dealer once to do so, and vowed never again. If I can do it, anyone can. And you can't beat 70 bucks, and with those savings you can all send in a sample to blackstone for 30 bux with TBN and post your reports.

Last edited by sds911; 10-23-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Why not just put back the oil that you just removed or does that go against religion?
Old 10-23-2013, 09:35 PM
sds911
Rennlist Member

Guess I could have, but I dumped it into my oil container without thinking much about it. I'll consult the Talmud, the New Testament and BITOG to see what they all say.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:27 PM
alpine003
Banned

The good thing about our cars is you don't even need a jack or ramps to change the oil. My car is lowered and I'm still able to reach everything without lifting the car.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:09 PM
donking
Intermediate

I just changed my oil 221 miles ago with Mobil 1 0W40. The oil on the dipstick looks light and clean, in clear plastic tubing like dark honey, and in an oil analysis container much darker

.... In other words, the dealer probably changed the oil and filter, and Mobil 1 probably changes color as soon as the engine reaches operating temps and the oil runs through the system...

Thank you sds911! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'll buy you a beer the next time I'm in your area, ever go to San Manuel? I stop there sometimes when I'm passing through for the holidays.

... Of course, it is really easy to change oil on the 996, and I would encourage the OP to watch the video, buy some rhino ramps, an oil filter wrench, oil drain pan and socket set and/or torque wench and do it in about 20 to 30 minutes tops on his own. Then the OP will know for sure the work was done, and for about 70 bucks (not including the getting started costs). I personally had never changed my own oil on my cars, until I paid a Porsche dealer once to do so, and vowed never again. If I can do it, anyone can. And you can't beat 70 bucks, and with those savings you can all send in a sample to blackstone for 30 bux with TBN and post your reports.
Yes, I have the Blackstone report from 3 months ago to post, just haven't gotten to it yet. I like the idea you posted in the other thread about everyone posting the reports to compare.

I recently saw the video and have most of the tools as I change the oil in my other cars. I was somewhat wondering about the angle of the car with the rear wheels on the ramps. Do you leave the front wheels on the ground or jack up the front or ???

Thanks again,
Old 10-24-2013, 06:03 PM
alpine003
Banned

The photo of sds911 paper towel is what I was talking about. Even if the oil "looks" dirty in a cup or container it will still look pretty clean on a paper towel if it's low mileage. It would look a lot more dirty than that on a paper towel for example if it had 5k miles on it and that's the reason why I asked if you tried some drops on a towel.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:02 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

The good thing about our cars is you don't even need a jack or ramps to change the oil. My car is lowered and I'm still able to reach everything without lifting the car.
Just don't do what I did and drive away with the drain pan under the car.

Quick Reply: Oil looks Dirty after change