Sponsored by:

Headlight troubles

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:19 PM
AU_911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Headlight troubles

A few months back I traded my 03 Carrera in on an 02 Turbo. Two days ago I went to turn on my headlights and the drivers side came on the turned off right away. It kept doing this every time I tried switching on and off.

I pulled it out to check and everything looked ok and reinstalled. It came on for about 30 seconds until I started moving and hit a bump and then it went off. Now nothing on that headlight is functional (headlight, fog, turn signal, etc.). I have taken it out and checked to see if any of the prongs were bent and sprayed with cleaner without success. I am very careful putting it back in and everything is going back together smoothly. The same thing will happen after reinstalling - it'll work and as soon as I start driving and hit a bump everything goes out.

I had the headlights out a few times on the Carrera so am familiar with the process and am sure I am at least doing that correctly. I ran the durametic on it earlier and it gave the code "engine path, left" under the xenon section.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on here? This is driving me crazy.

BTW, I know I posted this in the 996 section. Since the headlights are the same, I figured it'd get more views here. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:31 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 905 Posts

Headlight switch failures are very common in the 996. Have you ruled that out yet?
Old 10-20-2013, 11:39 PM
AU_911
Rennlist Member

Fairly sure that is not it. Wouldn't it cause both headlights to not work?
Old 10-20-2013, 11:49 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When my headlight switch went it did affect both headlamps, but my fog lights and high beams still worked.

I had a problem with my C2 that sounds somewhat similar; in that when I hit a bump the right headlamp would go out. Took it to the dealer and all they did was remove the units and re-install them and they still work fine three years later. Sounds like you believe you ruled that out though.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:51 PM
AU_911
Rennlist Member

Yes, when I remove and reinstall they come on and work until i start moving then everything on the headlight quits functioning.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:24 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Add me to the list of people with headlight troubles.

Recently my passenger side litronic adjustment appears to have died. Headlight points literally 30 feet down the road. Height adjustment screw is maxed out, and it still points only 30 feet ahead (yes,I know the correct direction, it is clockwise to raise...our manual has it backwards). Driver's side light is fine and adjusts in height fine.

I checked both sensor connections (front and rear control arms), they are secured and appear undamaged. I pulled out the light, checked the assembly for the litronic adjustment motor, it is plugged in and "ball" is in the socket. I will swing by the indy to check the durametric codes for the litronic before I start throwing parts at it.

P.S. this is one of the most idiotic headlight designs I have yet to see. Apparently when litronic adjustment fails, or sensors fail, lights go into their lowest setting. IE they point 10 feet ahead of the car. Just imagine being away from home and this happens, unbelievable.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 905 Posts

I haven't really heard of trouble like this on the 996. It's quite common on the Cayenne. In the Cayenne, the most common issue is that the mounting bracket for the headlight becomes loose over time and the connection to the headlight is then inconsistent, causing it to shut off one or both headlights when going over bumps, etc. Porsche issued a TSB for the Cayenne that included re-securing the bracket and treating the mounting bolts with blue Loctite. Could this be the problem on the 996 also?
Old 10-21-2013, 02:58 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this similar to turn signal issue ? Ie weak spring on the bulb socket ? Not sure how bulb is socketed in the headlight unit but if it is similar to turn signal just bend the spring out a bit
Old 10-21-2013, 03:02 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Kalashnikov
Did you check the headlight leveling arm and sensor on the suspension?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-986-...6e5d28&vxp=mtr
Old 10-21-2013, 03:05 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
Add me to the list of people with headlight troubles.

Recently my passenger side litronic adjustment appears to have died. Headlight points literally 30 feet down the road. Height adjustment screw is maxed out, and it still points only 30 feet ahead (yes,I know the correct direction, it is clockwise to raise...our manual has it backwards). Driver's side light is fine and adjusts in height fine.

I checked both sensor connections (front and rear control arms), they are secured and appear undamaged. I pulled out the light, checked the assembly for the litronic adjustment motor, it is plugged in and "ball" is in the socket. I will swing by the indy to check the durametric codes for the litronic before I start throwing parts at it.

P.S. this is one of the most idiotic headlight designs I have yet to see. Apparently when litronic adjustment fails, or sensors fail, lights go into their lowest setting. IE they point 10 feet ahead of the car. Just imagine being away from home and this happens, unbelievable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gov. required fail safe so that you don't blind oncoming traffic. Did you check the headlight leveling arm and sensor on the suspension?
Old 10-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
Kalashnikov
Did you check the headlight leveling arm and sensor on the suspension?
Yes, I checked both sensors on the front and rear control arms. Both are attached and working (jiggled them and compressed the suspsension, sensors move and firmly attached).

I will have the durametric scan done to see the fault codes.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:10 PM
AU_911
Rennlist Member

I pulled it apart and reinstalled again today. Worked, I then reached behind and hit the fender liner. I could see the headlight move slightly. I could then push it back down and it would start working again. I pulled the headlight out to see if there was anything I could see as to why it wasn't being held down well.

I did find one piece that appears to have broken off. I attached the photo. It appears to just bolt on the side and wrap around the tube an pop in on the side. Luckily it appears to be separate from the headlight housing and replaceable. Only problem is where do I find this, does anyone know what part #. Do you think this alone would cause the problem or would a new tray be possible too? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2013, 07:12 PM
AU_911
Rennlist Member

Here is another that shows the other side.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Headlight troubles