Sponsored by:

Child safety seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 04:10 AM
speedyB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Child safety seats

Anyone have the "zoom" seat for older children? I'm leaning toward the seat-only package and consigning my daughter to the rear. It seems safer to do it that way, but I'm wondering what the advantage of the deactivation kit/passenger seat mount might be. Thanks!

Bill
Old 07-15-2003, 11:23 AM
BSG03Cab
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have had the deactivation done on my last 2 cars (99 c2 cab, 03 C2 Cab) mainly to allow the option of my son (now 5 and 50lbs) riding in the front with me. I found it much easier to help with tissues, crackers etc with him in the front. He also preferred to ride in the front for the view (the back can become a cave with the top up). You'll also find as your child get a little bigger the back seat with a child seat is very close quarters. You can have the deactivation done by your dealer and still buy the seat from Britex for about half what your dealer charges.

Bruce
Old 07-15-2003, 06:38 PM
speedyB
Intermediate

You let him eat in your Porsche?! ;-)

Thanks for the thoughtful comments -- much appreciated.

Bill
Old 07-16-2003, 04:35 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crackers? Too messy. Solid fruit rolls are much better and will less likely cause any mess (he-he).
Old 07-16-2003, 10:56 AM
BSG03Cab
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have to let him eat or I hear "the wheels on the bus go round and round" for the entire trip!

Bruce
Old 07-16-2003, 04:20 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Question

For now since I only go about two miles to daycare my 3, almost 4 year old, rides in the back in the seat belt. He likes to lean forward when I stop. He tries to stay that way when I take off. It is so hilarious to watch the face he makes as he strains to overcome the g's forcing him back in the seat. He loves the car.

On another note. I have the airbag defeat apparatus but no Zoom carseat. Will any male seat buckle in the receptacle work once installed and taken to the dealer for the computer change. I really hate to buy a seat for just a short period of time especially when the car seat we have fits fine (in front). TIA
Old 07-16-2003, 06:28 PM
absame
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

I have two Zooms, but the ones made by britax. I also have the airbag diactivator up front. Between the 4 and 6 year old and the misses this gives us maximum flexibility. I'm not a big believer in "kids must be in the back" , besides the rear seats lean forward a bit, and my 4 year old keeps tipping forward when he falls asleep. Front seats are potentially dangerous for everyone -- they make us put kids in the back because of airbags IMHO. Anyway, to work the deactivator in the front you need the deactivation bar installed by the dealer (it hooks into the computer) and at least one porsche car seat so you have the special buckle. After that, you can use a britax instead (I don;t know if Porsche parts sells just the buckle). If you dont want the kids up front, dont tell them that its possible. I traded up from a 986 to a 996 partly so I could stop the fighting about "who gets to go with daddy" -- now it's "who gets to ride up front"

A

p.s. There is nothing better than sitting next to a grinning and giggling 4-year-old as you speed around a tight curve with the top down. Life's too short -- be as safe as you can, but have some fun!!
Old 07-17-2003, 07:36 AM
BSG03Cab
Addict
Rennlist Member

John H.

Yes any male seat belt buckle will work. The change to the computer is a 5 minute job at the dealer if the deactivate bar is already installed.

Bruce
Old 07-20-2003, 02:20 AM
speedyB
Intermediate

Originally posted by absame
There is nothing better than sitting next to a grinning and giggling 4-year-old as you speed around a tight curve with the top down. Life's too short -- be as safe as you can, but have some fun!!
My four-year-old (almost five) daughter has learned how to "woo-HOO!" -- when she's not too busy getting on sunglasses to keep wind-blown hair out of her face. She also makes Porsche-appropriate shifting sounds when playing with her toy cars. Her mother is mortified. I am smiling.

Bill
Old 07-20-2003, 12:05 PM
Spizz Oil
Instructor

When I take my sons aged 6 and 3 in the car, they have 2 requests:

1. Sports exhaust switched on.
2. ZAPS (where legally permitted and safely achieved) - meaning being thrown back in their seats by the G-force. Jamie, my 6 year old being a graduate of the Aerosmith Rock'n'Roller Coaster is a conoisseur of G-force thrills.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:37 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks BSG03CAB, that's what I wanted to hear.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:27 AM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

I'm under the impression that the airbag/front seat issue only applies to rear facing childseats. I know a lot of people, myself included, who would rather have their child in a front seat that did have airbags than one that didn't.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:51 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

I may be wrong but I think it applies to any child in the front seat under the age of 12. I was hit with an airbag once and I know it would have seriously hurt my 6 year old. I'll look around and see if I can find the information somewhere.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:16 PM
absame
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Monkeyboy,

NO!!! Airbag danger is there for all small children. Don't know the exact age cut off, but 12 sounds about right. A child in a forward facing car seat or booster seat can be killed by the airbag, not the accident itself. It has happened. IMHO, this is what started the whole campaign to put kids in the back. Detroit rushed out airbags, they were engineered to protect adults, but would in fact kill kids. Buckle your kids up right, turn off the airbag, and enjoy the ride.

A

Quick Reply: Child safety seats