Sponsored by:

Clutch Switch or Starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 10:15 AM
zman2002 C4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Switch or Starter

2002 c4s - Does this sound like a bad clutch switch or starter problem (battery is about a year old and tested fine)?

Occasionally when I engage the ignition switch the starter doesn't engage. All dash lights operate normally but engine won't crank. When this happens it takes 3 - 4 times before the starter engages. Happens cold or after a short stop.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 248 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by zman2002 C4S
2002 c4s - Does this sound like a bad clutch switch or starter problem (battery is about a year old and tested fine)?

Occasionally when I engage the ignition switch the starter doesn't engage. All dash lights operate normally but engine won't crank. When this happens it takes 3 - 4 times before the starter engages. Happens cold or after a short stop.
Just so it is clear when you turn the key to on the dash lights up like always and then when you turn the key to engine start there is no noise from a starter trying to start the engine (that is no clicking from a starter solenoid not quite closing the starter switch), the starter doesn't turn over at all, just essentially dead silence, that's probably a clutch interlock switch.

Especially if you tell me you turn the key off and release the clutch pedal and then repeat the attempt to start the engine and it starts just fine.

The clutch interlock switch is cheap enough and easy enough to replace -- if you're young and limber enough -- that it is worth the cost to just throw a new clutch interlock switch into the car.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:27 PM
zman2002 C4S
Advanced

Originally Posted by Macster
Just so it is clear when you turn the key to on the dash lights up like always and then when you turn the key to engine start there is no noise from a starter trying to start the engine (that is no clicking from a starter solenoid not quite closing the starter switch), the starter doesn't turn over at all, just essentially dead silence, that's probably a clutch interlock switch. Especially if you tell me you turn the key off and release the clutch pedal and then repeat the attempt to start the engine and it starts just fine. The clutch interlock switch is cheap enough and easy enough to replace -- if you're young and limber enough -- that it is worth the cost to just throw a new clutch interlock switch into the car.
Yep. That's what's happening. I'll order the switch. I replaced the brake switch last year. Not fun to slither in position to change it but definitely doable. Hopefully that will fix the problem.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe that both clutch and brake switch are interchangeable if you want to try that method first. Then again, Those switches are cheapo and worth a new one anyway. As Macster says, "That's if you ARE limber enough to get under the dash and replace the faulty one".
Old 10-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Easy. Next time when it happens, remove the clutch switch electrical connector and jump the 2 pins with a metal paper clip and try to start the car again. Make sure you're in neutral though.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Porsche95
AutoX

Question Clutch pedal switch or starter

Had 996 01 c4 on battery tender for 4 days started twice yesterday afternoon then drove about 15miles to a show last nite on the way a "chime" went off 3 or 4 times as we drove -sounded like the seatbelt chime-both were fastened. Parked car went in to show for 2hours - came out and would not make a sound all lites on as usual - tried 2-3 times with clutch all the way in and turned off all the way each time -battery is only a year old - tried jumping same result -finally rolled it and popped it to start -any relation to the "chime" and after reading previous thread about the clutch switch replace/Starter tests
Any help or ideas would be appreciated/ can I use the brake switch to test the clutch function?
Thx

Quick Reply: Clutch Switch or Starter