radar detector...or not

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 05:15 AM
Niceguyeddie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
V1 in every car.

Not any sort of magic bullet, but a very useful tool. In fact it just today it helped me spot earlier a sneaky state patrol speed trap on a twisty mountain road.
I do consider myself a serious speeder. I love the porsche as it eats up the highway like nobody's business. However, it is like a red flag to a bull, and it causes the other drivers to chase and pass me. I eventually overtake them because I stick to my speed, whilst they tend to lose nerve and fall back. My coworker wasn't saved by his V1, he got nabbed on I-10 by a laser. I have stuck with Passport for the past 20 years and never been caught. My latest one is the SmartRadar that connects to the Iphone. No bulky display to clutter up the dash...and plenty of compliments from the girls at the clean setup.

Although things change with time, depending on the leniency of LEOs...currently you can get away with 79mph on any LA freeway. 80 and over, they tend to come after you. Remember, that generally the speedo is 4mph off, so if the digital display shows 84...you are going about 79. Also...I watch more people get pulled over for carpool violations than aggressive driving. The left lane is the slowest on the 10, and just the other night, as I was weaving in and out of the slow lanes; A CHP swooped in from nowhere and pulled over a carpool violator...never batted an eye at me haha.
I have been doing a LOT of traveling across the western states, and I have been getting away with 90mph on the open areas with no problems. Of course the instant I get a hit on the radar...I do a nose dive. Maybe it's my years of speeding instincts. I can sniff out the bacon even before my detector does.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:52 PM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiC70
V1 now on my 3rd car but honest it is a combination of V1 and common sense that is the key.
+1
Old 11-04-2013, 09:21 AM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I haven't had a detector in 30 years. Coincidentally, I haven't had a speeding ticket in 30 years.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:26 PM
tdurden032
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may or may not have had a speeding problem (5 tickets in one year - most of which were under 5-7 "over" the speed limit). At any rate, that was 5 tickets too many before I purchased my Valentine 1 - it is a total butt-saver even for those who drive close to the speed limit - plenty of advanced warning in most cases.

Quick Reply: radar detector...or not