Sponsored by:

Broken Seatbelt in Accident

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 04:31 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. Quite a hit. Glad you're ok.

There's a remote possibility that something may have bumped the release button during the impact, like an elbow or flying phone or such, especially if the buckle appears to working fine now.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:25 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can I ask you how much your insurance company paid out compared to what you thought the car would fetch? Sounds to me that the tensioner went off, based on your description. They work well, in my experience. Congrats on the new '06! Not a bad trade up!
Old 10-01-2013, 02:04 AM
atx.911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by perryinva
Can I ask you how much your insurance company paid out compared to what you thought the car would fetch? Sounds to me that the tensioner went off, based on your description. They work well, in my experience. Congrats on the new '06! Not a bad trade up!
I was getting ready to sell it then decided to keep it. Then the accident changed all that.

They gave me above blue book for it. I was going to sell it for an "obo" amount and they gave me just 2k below that.

When I did my research I found 11 similar cars - same year and took the average of the sale prices. The insurance company gave me above that.

I then also took an average of my same year and similar miles (70k miles) and they still gave me more than that. I honestly thought they were going to lowball me and I ended up getting more than what I thought.

Sorry won't list any specifics but was happy with the offer. I also was able to get all my belongings and all my stereo gear out of the car. I stripped the heck out of it.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:02 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Make sure to see a dentist. When I was hit from behind at a stop light, 2 of my molars were cracked as well as my wife's. We did not immediately notice the cracks. A few months later, we had a $6K dentist bill.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:38 PM
atx.911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: I finally called Porsche NA to tell them about their seatbelt malfunction. They told me they had never heard of anything like that before and had nothing on record for it.

They asked me if I wanted them to come out and inspect it and I told them it's up to them. I'm just passing along the information in the case that they want to check it out and see if there is a need to take action on it ..like a recall or safety notice etc. I thought it would be valuable to give them the information because there are still a lot of 2003 996 drivers out there. I had sent them some pictures included in this thread.

It sounded like that was the end of it. I didn't expect to hear back from them right away. Next thing I know they are contacting me to send out two inspection managers to look at vehicle.

Keep you guys posted.

Last edited by atx.911; 10-08-2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: edit
Old 10-08-2013, 11:17 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the update.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:19 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by silotwo
Thanks for the update.
+1 Glad to see their actually looking into it.

Quick Reply: Broken Seatbelt in Accident