Sponsored by:

New stereo

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 05:31 PM
robo_porsche
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New stereo

I just installed a new aftermarket stereo in my 996 C2 2002 and I have some issues with the car alarm. I read that the wires going to the cover of the original stereo and nav DVD should be earthed to NOT get issues with the alarm but when I am turning on my alarm I get a single beep!

What is wrong?

Robert
Old 09-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

For what its worth mine works correctly. If you lock on one click you should get no beep but two flashes on turn signals and then the red dash light on the top flashes constantly to say it is locked up and the inside movement sensor is armed as well. Two clicks on the key makes one beep and only one flash on the side indicators saying the inside motion sensor is disengaged in case someone is inside the vehicle like a pet.
I have read something (as you say) about an after market stereo causing an open circuit beep as you lock the car on one click of the key button. By earthing it I believe that cures the problem. I do not profess to know anything about after market additions to the car so I am only saying that I THINK I read somewhere of this problem. You would have to read further into that score. Anyway good luck. I am not sure without trying it with the top of the cab down, but I feel that you cannot set the inside motion sensor when the top is down. It kind of makes sense. Same as you cannot move the rear windows when the top is down. Anyway good luck with the problem.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:24 AM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's what I know (not that much) about the alarm wire and aftermarket radios:

On my car the brown wire was terminated with a spade lug connector. The spade was attached to a small metal tab about halfway back on the left hand side of the radio opening. My understanding is that this tab normally rests against an insulated area of the radio. When the radio is removed, the tab comes into contact with bare metal. This triggers the radio removal alarm.

Aftermarket radios do not typically have the insulated area for the metal tab to contact. When I installed my aftermarket radio, I disconnected the spade from the metal tab, insulated it, and carefully taped it off ... it's not grounded, just disconnected and insulated. So far I haven't had any alarm issues.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:48 AM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Sent to me by Loren on Renntech:
"You likely need to remove the alarm wire from the new radio harness (since it does not support it). Look for a Brown/Blue wire from the original radio connector and remove the pin and tape it (or cut and tape the wire)".
Old 09-18-2013, 10:15 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

As mentioned, it should not be earthed. Remove the wire or tape it up and you should be good.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:45 PM
robo_porsche
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, thanks, I'll just remove the earth for that wire then... But it is a bit strange that some people recommend to put it to earth, for example pelican parts recommends this:

"The Boxster alarm system has a small contact switch located to the left side of the radio compartment that detects removal of the radio. In order to prevent the alarm from repeatedly going off, you need to connect this wire (brown / blue) to ground."

I got that from here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...io_Install.htm
Old 09-18-2013, 04:19 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by robo_porsche
Ok, thanks, I'll just remove the earth for that wire then... But it is a bit strange that some people recommend to put it to earth, for example pelican parts recommends this:

"The Boxster alarm system has a small contact switch located to the left side of the radio compartment that detects removal of the radio. In order to prevent the alarm from repeatedly going off, you need to connect this wire (brown / blue) to ground."

I got that from here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...io_Install.htm
The only thing I can think of from that article is a formatting error. If you look a couple paragraphs above that, they tell you an alternative is to keep your stock stereo and do iPod integration with it. If keeping stock stereo, then you would def want to hook this wire back up. That would be another way that article could be interpreted. It's still ambiguos though...

Quick Reply: New stereo