Sponsored by:

Finished a Double DIN Installation Today

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:34 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaspasser19
That looks nice. Did the kit come with a trim piece for the climate control for the lower slot?
Yes, it did.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:22 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaspasser19
That looks nice. Did the kit come with a trim piece for the climate control for the lower slot?
Originally Posted by KoB
Yes, it did.
If anybody is looking for the part separately, I believe the part number for that trim piece is 996.552.339.00.01C
Old 09-15-2013, 09:42 AM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great!!! I got me a Pioneer and I like is so far.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:50 AM
whatnot
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I updated both today in my truck. Will do it in the 996 when I get the transmission done.
I didn't realize you eventually get to the bluetooth update following that link. Hopefully that fixes the connection bugs.

Have you tried updating the Garmin part?

Have you adjusted the equalizer and other audio settings? It really improves the sound a lot. I forgot how terrible it sounds with the default settings compared to after they are changed. Doing the update reset everything.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:11 AM
Mdrosenb
AutoX

Looks very nice. Im about to pull the trigger and replace my ancient nav radio unit in my 02 996. I've done a bit of research and planning to go with the Pioneer avic x850BT.
Replacing the nav radio means I'll also be pulling out the DVD unit (stores the ancient, outdated nav maps) that is above my climate control and will replace with a pocket insert like you have. Anyone know where to purchase the pocket insert? Is that a Porsche part, or justa standard car dash piece?
If anyone has any opinion on my choice of the Pioneer X850BT, let me know.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:24 AM
whatnot
Track Day

I ordered all the dash pieces separate and the install kit from a place in England.
I will see if I can find the part numbers tomorrow if you still need them. The pocket was the most expensive and I think around $50

I would take a good look at the Kenwood DNX6990HD. I liked mine enough that I had to put one in my truck too. lol
Old 09-17-2013, 11:52 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by whatnot
I ordered all the dash pieces separate and the install kit from a place in England.
I will see if I can find the part numbers tomorrow if you still need them. The pocket was the most expensive and I think around $50

I would take a good look at the Kenwood DNX6990HD. I liked mine enough that I had to put one in my truck too. lol

Ditto on the Kenwood DNX6990HD. The factory refurb units are pretty cheap (well under $500), the firmware seems reliable, and it uses Garmin navigation, which IMO is a plus.

That said, I can't really say anything bad about Pioneer; I had a Pioneer AVIC in a previous vehicle and it just worked. The only issue I ran into was that Pioneer's iPod cable was junk; it's notorious for losing one channel after a few months of life. The consensus recommendation on the AVIC forum was to use an Apple cable instead.

Anyway, my DNX6990HD install was into a 996.1 (2000 Cab) with the "hi-fi" (non-Bose) stereo. The harness is probably different for different OEM stereo options. Here's some info on part #'s and other useful products. :

The cubby that fits the upper half of the lower console is P/N 996.552.253.01.01C ... $49.75 from Pelican Parts

The trim piece for the climate controls (in the lower half of the lower console) is P/N 996.552.339.00.01C ... $8.50 from Pelican

The wiring harness for my car is a VW/Audi part, $14.99 from Crutchfield:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207017...g-Harness.html

The antenna adapter is also available from Crutchfield ($4.99):
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12040VW...a-Adapter.html

To get the factory radio out, you'll need radio removal keys. The OE Porsche parts are available from Pelican or Suncoast for about six bucks.

FWIW, the radio keys work OK but they're hell on your fingers. Wear gloves. I didn't and my fingers are just about healed up

Crutchfield sells two tools I'd recommend -- the Pro.Fit Panel Tool and the Wire Worm:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_042DM40...anel-Tool.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_042DM45...Wire-Worm.html

I have a gazillion panel tools and use those flat plastic panel tools the most, by far. The Wire Worm helps a lot for running wires, maybe because I have big hands that get stuck behind dashboards.
BTW, if you have Amazon Prime, some of this stuff -- like the antenna adapter and wiring harness -- is probably cheaper from Amazon than anywhere else.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:00 AM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by whatnot
I updated both today in my truck. Will do it in the 996 when I get the transmission done.
I didn't realize you eventually get to the bluetooth update following that link. Hopefully that fixes the connection bugs.

Have you tried updating the Garmin part?

Have you adjusted the equalizer and other audio settings? It really improves the sound a lot. I forgot how terrible it sounds with the default settings compared to after they are changed. Doing the update reset everything.
I haven't updated the Garmin stuff yet. Yes, the 1.42.02 Bluetooth update seems to have fixed the flaky connection problems. I haven't tried some of the functionality yet, like streaming music from my phone. Mostly I just plug in an iPod, or turn off the music and listen to the engine

I left the equalizer and audio controls alone because I'm in the midst of a speaker upgrade ... when I get that done I'll have to go back and re-adjust everything.

FWIW, before I installed the storage cubby I pulled out the rubber insert and drilled a hole in the back of the cubby so I could pull the iPod and USB cables through. Once you put the rubber insert back in place it covers up the hole, so it still looks pretty clean. Having access to the USB port makes upgrades (firmware, splash screen, etc) far easier.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:19 PM
edsuarez
Intermediate

Smile logo

Looks nice, I am just starting my conversion to double din. Where did you get the logo for the screen. Was it just an images file from google?
Old 03-06-2014, 06:04 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by edsuarez
Looks nice, I am just starting my conversion to double din. Where did you get the logo for the screen. Was it just an images file from google?
Yes, I found it online and used GIMP to get it into the right format (800x480, 16 bit full color BMP, RGB setting of R5,G6,B5). You can use pretty much anything with scale of 5:3 horizontal to vertical.

PM me if you want a copy of it.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:12 AM
Fyrftr50
AutoX

Where did you get the surrround trim panel for the unit? And how does the unit mount into the dash?
Originally Posted by KoB
Ditto on the Kenwood DNX6990HD. The factory refurb units are pretty cheap (well under $500), the firmware seems reliable, and it uses Garmin navigation, which IMO is a plus.

That said, I can't really say anything bad about Pioneer; I had a Pioneer AVIC in a previous vehicle and it just worked. The only issue I ran into was that Pioneer's iPod cable was junk; it's notorious for losing one channel after a few months of life. The consensus recommendation on the AVIC forum was to use an Apple cable instead.

Anyway, my DNX6990HD install was into a 996.1 (2000 Cab) with the "hi-fi" (non-Bose) stereo. The harness is probably different for different OEM stereo options. Here's some info on part #'s and other useful products. :

The cubby that fits the upper half of the lower console is P/N 996.552.253.01.01C ... $49.75 from Pelican Parts

The trim piece for the climate controls (in the lower half of the lower console) is P/N 996.552.339.00.01C ... $8.50 from Pelican

The wiring harness for my car is a VW/Audi part, $14.99 from Crutchfield:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207017...g-Harness.html

The antenna adapter is also available from Crutchfield ($4.99):
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12040VW...a-Adapter.html

To get the factory radio out, you'll need radio removal keys. The OE Porsche parts are available from Pelican or Suncoast for about six bucks.

FWIW, the radio keys work OK but they're hell on your fingers. Wear gloves. I didn't and my fingers are just about healed up

Crutchfield sells two tools I'd recommend -- the Pro.Fit Panel Tool and the Wire Worm:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_042DM40...anel-Tool.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_042DM45...Wire-Worm.html

I have a gazillion panel tools and use those flat plastic panel tools the most, by far. The Wire Worm helps a lot for running wires, maybe because I have big hands that get stuck behind dashboards.
BTW, if you have Amazon Prime, some of this stuff -- like the antenna adapter and wiring harness -- is probably cheaper from Amazon than anywhere else.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:18 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fyrftr50
Where did you get the surrround trim panel for the unit? And how does the unit mount into the dash?
The surround trim for the Kenwood unit is from Car Audio Innovations. There are several other options available ... for example, go to eBay and do a search on "Porsche double DIN install kit."

The unit mounts into a double DIN cage. The cage fits into the dash opening after some cutting. I used a couple small screws to secure the cage.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:29 AM
gobs
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very quick question...
I found this kit on ebay and my question is this all I will need to make the connection?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321174534207...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Thank you
Old 04-06-2017, 11:27 AM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gobs
Very quick question...
I found this kit on ebay and my question is this all I will need to make the connection?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321174534207...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Thank you
This kit should have everything you need for a 99-02 car with either the base or "hi-fi" configuration. FWIW, the difference between the two is that hi-fi includes speakers in the doors. That doesn't matter because you're not changing the connection between the amp and speakers (assuming that you're retaining the factory amp).

If you have Porsche Communication Management (PCM) you need a different wiring harness because the connections to the amp are different. 03-04 cars use fiber optics between the head unit and amp and require a different solution.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:35 AM
gobs
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Finished a Double DIN Installation Today