Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Reverse light switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015 | 03:50 PM
aviography
Drifting

I only changed the transmission fluid a couple of years ago, so only has about 6,000 miles on it, but yes I plan to check the fluid level once I look up how to.
Old 06-07-2015 | 11:02 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by aviography
Will Pete, here I am not even two years later with a leaky switch by going the aftermarket route.........., it may have been slowly leaking for quite sometime, but only finally started dripping onto the garage floor this year.

Guess I will pony up for the OEM switch this time!
Bummer.......but this time you'll be a pro!
Old 06-08-2015 | 01:39 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

I only changed the transmission fluid a couple of years ago, so only has about 6,000 miles on it, but yes I plan to check the fluid level once I look up how to.

The filler hole is on the side at the top. You top up the oil till it runs out the hole. You will need a separate squeezable bottle with a plastic bendable spout as there is no room to pour the oil into the hole. Obviously if you plan on changing the transmission oil totally, the release oil plug is lower on the side or under the transmission casing.
Old 06-08-2015 | 10:01 PM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Bummer.......but this time you'll be a pro!
Don't be so quick to judge!!

Lesson learned today, well actually from yesterday but did not realize until today, is:

"DO NOT JACK UP ONLY THE REAR END OF THESE 996 AND REMOVE THE REVERSE SWITCH"

A big puddle of transmission fluid on the garage floor awaits me when I got home today is why I should have also jacked up the front end of the car yesterday......

Last edited by aviography; 06-08-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-09-2015 | 12:32 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
The filler hole is on the side at the top. You top up the oil till it runs out the hole. You will need a separate squeezable bottle with a plastic bendable spout as there is no room to pour the oil into the hole. Obviously if you plan on changing the transmission oil totally, the release oil plug is lower on the side or under the transmission casing.
Hurdi,
Just pluck the transmission out and you won't need the squeezy bottle with a bendable spout. You can just turn the trans on its side and pour the oil in.
Old 06-09-2015 | 03:01 AM
RRocket
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
. You top up the oil till it runs out the hole..
That's not true, actually. Per the manual, the tranny is filled until ~11mm BELOW the fill hole. Most people make a simple tool with a paper clip to check the level.
Old 06-09-2015 | 03:28 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RRocket
That's not true, actually. Per the manual, the tranny is filled until ~11mm BELOW the fill hole. Most people make a simple tool with a paper clip to check the level.
Could you please share your source of this info? I've never heard of that and the factory procedures call for filling to the bottom edge of the fill hole

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutor...-instructions/
Old 06-09-2015 | 10:39 PM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Could you please share your source of this info? I've never heard of that and the factory procedures call for filling to the bottom edge of the fill hole

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutor...-instructions/
Ahsai,

It was from Pelican Tech Articles, I had also come across that a couple of days ago, although it's under the "911" grouping so potentially it's for older air-cooled 911 vs. the water-cooled 996.

Here's the link http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...sion_Fluid.htm

I think I would go with even to the bottom of the fill hole approach on Renntech under 996 heading.
Old 06-09-2015 | 11:27 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Ahsai,

It was from Pelican Tech Articles, I had also come across that a couple of days ago, although it's under the "911" grouping so potentially it's for older air-cooled 911 vs. the water-cooled 996.

Here's the link http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...sion_Fluid.htm

I think I would go with even to the bottom of the fill hole approach on Renntech under 996 heading.
The Renntech instruction is straight from the official Porsche repair manual. You decide which one to trust and I'll leave it at that
Old 06-09-2015 | 11:48 PM
aviography
Drifting

I'm definitely going with the Renntech description.
Old 06-09-2015 | 11:52 PM
aviography
Drifting

BTW, I looked on-line and locally for a quality replacement switch, believe it or not the same switch is used in early 2000' vintage Cadillac and SAAB and (gulp) Pontiac vehicles, so there are many crossed numbers and options, anything from $10 to $50.

Pelican Porsche unit would be $22 + S&H

Decided to call the local Porsche dealer near my house this morning, $25 + tax, I was sold.
Old 06-10-2015 | 01:28 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

I'm definitely going with the Renntech description.
You're a wise man
Old 06-11-2015 | 11:15 PM
aviography
Drifting

The switch arrived at the dealership, went to pick it up, it was the brake pedal switch......

Pretty sure I was 150% clear I was looking for the reverse light switch.

Won't likely get the car on the road for a few more days, sigh.........
Old 10-27-2021 | 10:54 AM
Nitefly996
2nd Gear

Hello

I also discoverd problems with my reverse lights/reverse light switch.

First I replaced the reverse light switch and the reverse lights were ok. Some days later the reverse lights are not working.
Now I noticed a strange thing, sometimes my reverse ligts are working, some days not. Putting my 996 (with ignition on) in reverse, maybe after 20 seconds or so (different from day to day) the reverse light lightens up, but sometimes not.

I took out the switch out of the gearbox and pushed by hand, no problems, lights are working. I pushed in a small wire between the conecctor and lights are constantly on... Blubs are fine. When the reverse lights are not working (ignition on, gear in reverse) there is no 12 volt back at the connector at the lights.
I mounted a rear view camera this spring thats how I discoverd the problem. I have the rear view camera NOT connected and still the same problems.
I checked a fuse, according to the service/porsche-book at the drivers side, dont remeber the exact fuse number, but that one was fine

My thoughts; A ground problem should not be the problem, since with that wire in that connector lights are on. Could it be a bushing in my gear-linkage, so I am not hitting the reverse swicht correcly. To be honest, changing gears feels good, nothing fluppy or loose....

Anyone suggestions, what I could check/search for more? My old reverse switch was definetly not working.

996 Carrera4 X51 AeroKit 1999

Best regards Sebastian
Old 10-28-2021 | 02:19 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Keep us posted. I had a new switch stop working a few months after replacement too.

Quick Reply: Reverse light switch