Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

drove without maf for 3-4 days but no CEL light?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 08:27 PM
maor
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drove without maf for 3-4 days but no CEL light?

This is strange, I got distracted when putting my airbox back on and forgot to plug the MAF and closed the bonnet.

For 3-4 days I was driving around and noticed absolutely nothing wrong with my car. It wasn't until I checked the coolant level that I spotted the MAF was unplugged 3-4 days later, like 75 miles I must have put on the car.

No CEL light, no warning nothing. I did plug durametric in the day before and it had the MAF fault but I thought nothing of it and assumed it was an old code from a month earlier when I was doing some diagnostics.

Why did I get no EML light or anything? Is my MAF failing ?
Old 08-30-2013, 10:08 PM
LostSouth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CEL is a mystery to me. I had a stock exhaust with a tune on it that the previous owner had done. The CEL would come on about 20 minutes after resetting it.

I swapped out my exhaust for Fabspeed Mufflers and an x-pipe without cats. The CEL has not come back over the course of 4 track days and probably fifty miles of runs through the countryside.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

The one time I ran my car (02 Boxster) with its MAF disconnected while I expected the CEL to come on and error code relating to be present I got neither.

Could be you just didn't drive the car the right way for the DME to complete its check out of the various systems and the MAF's absence was not detected.

Or some MY's are just less sensitive (or more sensitive) to the MAF being disconnected.

I've also once or twice (twice....) forgotten to put the oil filler tube cap back on and have driven the Boxster some time before realizing this. Often the clue is a funny howl at various times. But sometimes it is just when I open the rear trunk lid to remove something I spot the gapping hole of the oil filler tube. Yet not once has there been a CEL.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's weird. When i replaced my motor mounts in January, I forgot to hook the MAF back up, and it ran like a '65 Chevy in need of a tuneup. It couldn't hold a steady RPM at idle (bounced between 6-800) and was just overall ROUGH. As soon as I realized I must have forgotten something as I wasn't working on the engine, I popped the trunk to see the MAF was unplugged. Turned the car off, plugged it back in, started it right back up. Mine did throw a CEL, I don't remember which one though, as I had already hooked it back up before I plugged in my PIWIS cable and cleared the code. Not sure what that means about our respective MAF's, but glad yours still functions without it. FWIW, I have a '99. Maybe in later iterations they upgraded the ECU to run richer/leaner to compensate for it, that would be my guess.

Quick Reply: drove without maf for 3-4 days but no CEL light?