Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

03 C4S clutch pedal problems + other minor problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:31 AM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 03 C4S clutch pedal problems + other minor problem.

Hey guys,

Problem 1: I started driving my car after a night out and noticed that my signals were all out of wack. When I signal left, it holds fine in that position, but when I signal right, it does not stay in the right position. Also, when I signal left and after completing the turn, the turn signal would not stop on it’s own. After some research, I purchased the whole signal switch assembly and plan on fixing it myself by taking off various pieces off the steering wheel.

problem 2: This one is really bugging me... I was driving and noticed my clutch pedal felt very notchy at times from the pedal assembly itself. As I press down the clutch pedal, it clicks, sometimes almost jams up. Other symptoms I noticed is that my throttle is slightly different. The Variocam doesn’t engage at the same spot anymore and my clutch “sweet spot” has changed. I’m guessing it’s the clutch interlock switch? Or could it be the helper spring that broke?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:01 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Night out? Turn signal mechanism broken, clutch feel "wrong", throttle different, Variocam changed, etc...? Did you Valet park it?

Problem 1

Problem 2
sounds like could be clutch helper spring related.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...matically.html

Problem 2.1
Throttle pedal:
https://rennlist.com/forums/4639666-post16.html

Sweet spot, Variocam,... ???
Old 08-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the reply. Problem 1 is definitely solved. I remember parallel parking and that's the last time I used the signal. That's when whatever tab broke inside for sure. I never valet my car. I’ll be fixing this issue on the weekend.

Problem 2 is my real concern. It's very hard to figure out... I'm ruling out the helper spring because that just changes how the clutch pedal feels, but nothing more. About the throttle pedal you mentioned... it's definitely not that as I have no gas pedal problem.

I've just been noticing that the mapping or the way the car drives is different now. My Variocam doesn't come in the same way it used to, before it was noticeable now it's not so distinct. Also, the clutch pedal doesn't make the clicking/crunchy noise anymore(it did when I originally noticed the problem), so something maybe dislodged or either went back into place.

For the first time in my life I grinded second gear twice last night and that never happens. Maybe some broken switch affects the way I press the clutch all the way down, or a relay of some sort is not always recognizing that I in fact have the clutch pressed in.

Very weird symptoms, and I spoke to my mechanic and he thinks it's pressure plate related. I really hope it’s not that as that’s a pretty expensive bill.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Also, another first symptom to note which I think is the clutch interlock switch is the fact that on cold starts I have to turn and hold the key for a while as I have a delayed start. I sometimes have to repeat the process a few times or press very hard on the clutch pedal for it to start...
Old 08-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Don't mind the red circle as this is not my pic... but the tab part on part 9 could be pushed in and I notice that when the clutch pedal is in it's normal position, it does not even make contact with the tab part on the arm of the clutch pedal. There is a small gab... does anyone know if it should touch, or better yet push that spring in?

Last edited by Topaz330ci; 12-27-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my car, the clutch pedal was heavy and made odd noises when pedal depressed (no jokes about depressed pedals please.......too easy). On my car it turned out to be gunk on the splines on the box input shaft binding the clutch mechanism. That's what the dealer told me it was and that's what it turned out to be!
Old 08-27-2013, 05:28 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 03996
On my car, the clutch pedal was heavy and made odd noises when pedal depressed (no jokes about depressed pedals please.......too easy). On my car it turned out to be gunk on the splines on the box input shaft binding the clutch mechanism. That's what the dealer told me it was and that's what it turned out to be!
Interesting. Mine made very odd crunchy noises the day I noticed the problem so obviously something happened then and there. Something probably broke changing the whole dynamics.

The pressure to depress the clutch has remained the same though, ever since I bought the car. With a broken spring or without, I'm sure this isn't the problem.

I'll check for debris, but I don't think it's that either.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:58 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Topaz330ci
Hey guys,

Problem 1: I started driving my car after a night out and noticed that my signals were all out of wack. When I signal left, it holds fine in that position, but when I signal right, it does not stay in the right position. Also, when I signal left and after completing the turn, the turn signal would not stop on it’s own. After some research, I purchased the whole signal switch assembly and plan on fixing it myself by taking off various pieces off the steering wheel.

problem 2: This one is really bugging me... I was driving and noticed my clutch pedal felt very notchy at times from the pedal assembly itself. As I press down the clutch pedal, it clicks, sometimes almost jams up. Other symptoms I noticed is that my throttle is slightly different. The Variocam doesn’t engage at the same spot anymore and my clutch “sweet spot” has changed. I’m guessing it’s the clutch interlock switch? Or could it be the helper spring that broke?
Good that there is not a problem with the throttle pedal
Old 08-28-2013, 10:27 AM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

If anyone can answer this question it would be greatly appreciated:

What symtoms would arise if I have a faulty Clutch Interlock Switch?
Old 08-28-2013, 10:38 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

One symptom, going from memory, would be that the cruise control won't disengage when the clutch is depressed. Normally, with CC on, depressing the clutch will deactivate the CC.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:10 AM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the starter interlock switch you have pretty much described the symptom of needing to push harder on the clutch pedal. I've had mine replaced twice and in both cases the symptom was that I had to "slam" the clutch pedal to the floor.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom M
One symptom, going from memory, would be that the cruise control won't disengage when the clutch is depressed. Normally, with CC on, depressing the clutch will deactivate the CC.
I'll try my cruise as I haven't tried it in a while. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by silotwo
For the starter interlock switch you have pretty much described the symptom of needing to push harder on the clutch pedal. I've had mine replaced twice and in both cases the symptom was that I had to "slam" the clutch pedal to the floor.
My symptom is similar but sometimes slamming the clutch down doesn't work. I have to turn the key to the on position and hold for about 5-10 seconds until the engine starts turning.

My main question is if this switch is faulty, would it affect the driving characteristics in anyway?
Old 08-28-2013, 02:49 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My symptom is similar but sometimes slamming the clutch down doesn't work. I have to turn the key to the on position and hold for about 5-10 seconds until the engine starts turning.

My main question is if this switch is faulty, would it affect the driving characteristics in anyway?
No. All the interlock switch does is complete the circuit when the clutch pedal is depressed.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by silotwo
No. All the interlock switch does is complete the circuit when the clutch pedal is depressed.
Ok, you're talking about a starter interlock switch, I have it worded as clutch interlock switch although I think we are talking about the same part.

I found a post in a thread that someone mentioned it affects various items. I'm trying to find it and when I do I'll post it here...

Quick Reply: 03 C4S clutch pedal problems + other minor problem.