Sponsored by:

engine miss CEL flashes. no codes NE GEORGIA

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 05:07 PM
tks12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine miss CEL flashes. no codes NE GEORGIA

hello, im wondering if anyone knows a shop in NE Georgia 9preferably dahlonega/cleveland area, that has a scanner that "might" find a code that will not show up with A-zone stuff, I posted this elsewhere as well

I have been to two different places trying to get a code after this happens

car runs fine, all of a sudden engine light will flash 3 times fast, engine starts missing, car quit once, but both times it has happened I was able to get into a parts place once and a shop once, they put scanner on, no nodes, but by that time car stopped missing and light was off

do I need a special scanner to see it there is a held code? one scanner was at a autozone, the other scanner was a OTC scanner

car is a 2000 996 non Turbo, 2 wheel drive, manual trans

thanks
Old 08-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by tks12
hello, im wondering if anyone knows a shop in NE Georgia 9preferably dahlonega/cleveland area, that has a scanner that "might" find a code that will not show up with A-zone stuff, I posted this elsewhere as well

I have been to two different places trying to get a code after this happens

car runs fine, all of a sudden engine light will flash 3 times fast, engine starts missing, car quit once, but both times it has happened I was able to get into a parts place once and a shop once, they put scanner on, no nodes, but by that time car stopped missing and light was off

do I need a special scanner to see it there is a held code? one scanner was at a autozone, the other scanner was a OTC scanner

car is a 2000 996 non Turbo, 2 wheel drive, manual trans

thanks
You might get what you want with a scanner that can read active, pending, and permanent codes. Active are associated with a CEL. Pending are codes that well, are pending. Permanent codes are those that have been cleared but can only be erased by the DME testing for the triggering errors and finding no errors a number of times. IOWs, these can only be erased by the DME after a while.

There is the possibility Porsche specific errors are logged in which case you'll need to take the car to a dealer or indy shop that has a Porsche diagnostics computer which can be used to pull/read any Porsche specific/proprietary codes from the DME.

The odds on this are high, is my opinion. The flashing CEL is misfires, rich misfires. They went away and the CEL stopped flashing.

How are the plugs and coils? Been driving in the rain? Did you just wash the car? Fill up at a new and out of the way gas station?
Old 08-01-2013, 06:33 PM
tks12
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macster
You might get what you want with a scanner that can read active, pending, and permanent codes. Active are associated with a CEL. Pending are codes that well, are pending. Permanent codes are those that have been cleared but can only be erased by the DME testing for the triggering errors and finding no errors a number of times. IOWs, these can only be erased by the DME after a while.

There is the possibility Porsche specific errors are logged in which case you'll need to take the car to a dealer or indy shop that has a Porsche diagnostics computer which can be used to pull/read any Porsche specific/proprietary codes from the DME.

The odds on this are high, is my opinion. The flashing CEL is misfires, rich misfires. They went away and the CEL stopped flashing.

How are the plugs and coils? Been driving in the rain? Did you just wash the car? Fill up at a new and out of the way gas station?
not sure about plugs or coils, the car had the 60k done before we bought it, it has I think 72 on it now, car did not just get washed, and it has not rained hard in the last couple days) but was filled up a little over 1/4 tank ago (I think there is 80 miles on it since filled) which would have been almost RT to work and back for her (just under 100 miles RT) unsure about gas station but I assume one of her normal stops (chevron ,Shell or the new racetrack about 20 miles from here)

so there is a possibility then that none of the scanners I can buy (http://www.durametric.com/porsche-carrera-996.aspx or the http://www.autoenginuity.com) may find the code?

thank you
Old 08-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Flat 6 is in Cleveland, GA and offers Porsche service.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:14 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Durametric is very good at reading resetting codes. Not sure about "pending" codes. It sounds like a coil or plug misfire. Could the 60k service been a little "light" on some plug replacement?
Macster asked about the coils because they can crack with age/temperature shock (hot engine deep cold puddle). causing misfire in wet/foggy conditions.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:19 PM
LostSouth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe Jake (Flat-6) does regular maintenance type stuff and I don't believe he has a PIWIS. It might be worth check with him though.

Your best best is probably Motor Werk Racing in Cumming just off of Exit 13. Call ahead, as they stay pretty busy.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:28 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 333 Posts

I think if it was a cracked coil or loose coil wire the codes would be visible with the OBD II reader after the fact. I would check the battery cables and the ground wire first.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:36 AM
tks12
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gator996
Flat 6 is in Cleveland, GA and offers Porsche service.
I thought they only did engine rebuilds, I will try calling them this morning

thanks !
Old 08-02-2013, 07:39 AM
tks12
Instructor

Originally Posted by wyovino
I think if it was a cracked coil or loose coil wire the codes would be visible with the OBD II reader after the fact. I would check the battery cables and the ground wire first.
thanks, it just got a new battery, Hennessy Porsche had left it sit 5 weeks without touching the car and it killed the battery, (it was broken into and was there to be repaired) so when I had it picked up and taken to Jim Ellis Porsche to get it fixed, they had to put a new battery in it,

I did check the cables, and the ground cable is tight at the battery and the body mount, I was surprised to see only one cable on it.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:42 AM
tks12
Instructor

Originally Posted by LostSouth
I don't believe Jake (Flat-6) does regular maintenance type stuff and I don't believe he has a PIWIS. It might be worth check with him though.

Your best best is probably Motor Werk Racing in Cumming just off of Exit 13. Call ahead, as they stay pretty busy.
ok, I will call Jake this morning, and then motor werk, I did not find them listed searching yesterday,

Thank you!
Old 08-02-2013, 07:56 AM
tks12
Instructor

Originally Posted by fpb111
Durametric is very good at reading resetting codes. Not sure about "pending" codes. It sounds like a coil or plug misfire. Could the 60k service been a little "light" on some plug replacement?
Macster asked about the coils because they can crack with age/temperature shock (hot engine deep cold puddle). causing misfire in wet/foggy conditions.
the 60k was done at a dealership, i can only assume they would had done it correctly, then again, I wasn't 100% sure they replace plugs at the 60k either,

ya know I have not even been under this car except when we bought it, I had the dealer put it on the lift so I could see if there were any leaks on it, the last 911 I worked on was an older air cooled probably some 23 years ago, (was a auto tech for years and am long outdated)

I have a heavy duty walker floor jack (well mine is a napa) i found out last night will not go all the way under the car (hahaha figures) but before i put it up today to pull plugs, I will call both the service shops posted and see if I can get it scanned.

If I have to take it to cumming I may need to tow it there
I drove it into Dahlonega and it acted up in that distance (about 12 miles) which lead to another question, how strong are the factory two locations in the front and rear for those eye bolts? is it safe to tow it in a trailer from both ends like that? (I have two of those hooks, we bought an extra just in case )

thanks
Old 08-02-2013, 09:44 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

I have seen the eye bolts used to pull 996 with flat tires and bent suspension onto flatbeds at the track. Not sure if you can hookup a crane and lift one off the ground. Please Take pics if you attempt that.

Could be crank position sensor failing. Not that common but it does happen. Still there should be codes stored.
Buy a Duremetric enthusiast . if you do any DIY it will pay for itself the first or second time you use it.

http://www.durametric.com/buyus.aspx

http://www.durametric.com/default.aspx
Old 08-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

The eye bolts and where they screw into the car are strong enough to allow the car to be winched up onto a tilted flat bed. Both of my cars have had this done several times.

Porsche cautions that they should be not used to help secure the car in place as this puts some side load on the eye bolt but every tow truck operator I've watched does this. I objected a few times but it looks like I would have to duke it out with the operator to get him to change his behavior and frankly I'm not anxious to get into a fist fight with a probable ex-con...

I do snap pics to show how the car was brought onto the bed and how it was secured just in case something goes wrong. So far nothing has gone wrong.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:20 PM
tks12
Instructor

I have seen the eye bolts used to pull 996 with flat tires and bent suspension onto flatbeds at the track. Not sure if you can hookup a crane and lift one off the ground. Please Take pics if you attempt that.

Could be crank position sensor failing. Not that common but it does happen. Still there should be codes stored.
Buy a Duremetric enthusiast . if you do any DIY it will pay for itself the first or second time you use it.

I will buy something, but need to get it done now, I took it to flat 6, (http://www.flat6innovations.com/) they hooked up their scanner, it did not have any codes, but did show misfire 1 5 6 and something else about misfire (perhaps acknowledgement of some sort) forget what he said now, but no stored codes, suggested, cleaning MAF, checking plugs, , didnt think it would be coil packs

funny car has not done it since, I could see it be a crank sensor

I liked how his tool showed the cam position (one was just over -2 and the other just over -3. something ) guys have a nice clean place too, said I could come back sometime and get a tour of the place
Old 08-02-2013, 09:22 PM
tks12
Instructor

don't think ill be trying that, I don't own a crane <g> a friend does have a track how though...

thanks, took it in (see other post) no codes at all stored, jus tmisfires cyl 1 5 6

Quick Reply: engine miss CEL flashes. no codes NE GEORGIA