Squeaky Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 04:54 PM
darbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky Clutch

Team,

I can use some help. I have a technician who is baffled by a recent problem that emerged this summer. He did the IMS and RMS upgrade in February. My 2004 996 C2 had 25k miles at the time and my clutch still looked new. The throw-out bearing was only replaced. Last month in some intense heat my clutch started squeaking LOUDLY! I took it back and they replaced the kit, the throw out bearing again and even the slave. 4 weeks and 400 miles later it is back to squeaking. The noise is outside not in the car and happens once it has been running for a few minutes. I am pretty bummed that I have dropped a ton of $ into something that is unresolved.

Any thoughts on what is happening? Please help..
Old 07-23-2013, 05:07 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

How was the T.O.B. guide tube, pivot pin, pilot bearing, pressure plate, flywheel, pilot bearing, release lever? Can you decribe when it happens? How about with engine off? Ever hear it before repairs?

Shop sounds clueless.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:23 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Same here and even after a clutch job I have the damn squeek too. Car on or off and I have never really been able to resolve it either.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:28 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

OK, if it does it with engine off and everytime you engage clutch (depress lever), maybe check:

Noise inside car- clutch pedal pivot or helper spring.

Outside (under car) - release lever, retaining spring, seal, pivot pin, pressure plate.

The TSB explains the noise problem.

Last edited by KrazyK; 04-27-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by darbo
Team,

I can use some help. I have a technician who is baffled by a recent problem that emerged this summer. He did the IMS and RMS upgrade in February. My 2004 996 C2 had 25k miles at the time and my clutch still looked new. The throw-out bearing was only replaced. Last month in some intense heat my clutch started squeaking LOUDLY! I took it back and they replaced the kit, the throw out bearing again and even the slave. 4 weeks and 400 miles later it is back to squeaking. The noise is outside not in the car and happens once it has been running for a few minutes. I am pretty bummed that I have dropped a ton of $ into something that is unresolved.

Any thoughts on what is happening? Please help..
If the noise is present with the engine off the noise has to be related to the linkage either in the cabin, iows the clutch pedal linkage, or the linkage outside the cabin from the slave cylinder on.

The only time I've had any noticeable clutch noise I id'd it coming from inside the cabin and when I had the car in for something else I asked the tech to apply some lube (his choice) at whatever locations he thought appropriate and he did and afterwards the noise disappeared and has remained absent ever since.

Now it just so happens while my Turbo's clutch is quiet while the car is in the shop for an RMS leak and the tranny/clutch is out of the car I had a chance to look over the clutch hardware and I spotted the ball socket in the clutch fork into which the slave rod presses was dry, dry, dry. I asked the tech about this and he said he'd apply a dab of heavy high temp grease to this spot.

Also, I asked him about other lube points and he told me a dark colored heavy grease (but a very light application!) gets applied to the input shaft splines and another lighter colored but heavy grease gets applied to some areas on/around the release bearing. I noted the clutch fork tangs that contact the release bearing had heavy grease on them.

The rest of the Turbo's clutch hardware is different and does not share the same hardware as that of the 996 NA clutches but at every bushing, needle bearing, there was sign of heavy grease present.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:11 PM
darbo
Intermediate

KrazyK- It happens outside. You cannot hear it while inside the vehicle. It happens when the car has been running. If I shut it off I can still hear it because the car has not cooled down. Once cool, it does NOT squeak. Thanks for your help on this. PS I Love your plate
Old 07-23-2013, 06:27 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Make sure you read the TSB about the noise. I replaced everything, lubed it, and no more noise. I dont think Mac read before he posted (no offense, I think he has my posts on ignore).
Old 07-23-2013, 06:33 PM
darbo
Intermediate

I will share with my mechanic these nuggets of info. Many Thanks!

Quick Reply: Squeaky Clutch