Sponsored by:

GMG rollbar installation question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts
Default GMG rollbar installation question

I started my installation of a GMG WR rollbar this evening and had a quick question. GMG advertises the bar as requiring no cutting and by the looks of this video
it's possible. After much cursing and wiggling I (and a couple of friends) have the bar rotated mostly into place. I say mostly because I'm still about an 1" forward from a proper fit. The reason I haven't moved it the last inch is that the bottom of the bar is running into the the side of the interior just behind the lower seatbelt mount. I found a video of someone installing another bar in a GT3 (
) and they cut this area away under the carpet. Does anyone know if this is required? I don't see how I'm going to get it an inch farther back without removing this material (bending it in or cutting it out). Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Shawn
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,471 Likes on 810 Posts

I don't have the GMG bar, but my friend does in his C4S and it's a really tight fit to get it in there. His required no cutting of the carpet.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:13 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 600 Likes on 462 Posts

I had that bar for a while and have installed and removed it at least 8 times for various reasons. I had to cut out the posterior 1/3 of the plastic panel piece. Once it's cut out, the bar flies in and out with ease... just don't hit your rear view mirror like so many do and crack the windshield!! What I did was remove the entire black plastic piece, cut it neatly, reinstall the front 2/3, and then if you ever go back and need to reinstall the piece you can JB weld the plastic panel back together and it's good as new.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Garrett, I definitely agree that if I cut that section my life will be much easier in terms of installation and removal. I'd like to avoid cutting if I can, but if I can't I'll make it happen. Now that the bar is 95% in, I'm reluctant to pull it out to do the cutting...

Does anyone have first hand experience putting this bar in without cutting anything?

-S.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Darrick, although your friend didn't cut his carpet, do you have any idea if he/she cut the plastic behind the carpet?
Old 07-13-2013, 03:59 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 600 Likes on 462 Posts

I don't remember since I don't have the bar any longer, but I believe you can remove that black plastic panel in its entirety (just a couple screws and some plastic pop in retaining "rivets"), install your bar, then install the black plastic piece back into the car, saving from actually having to cut it apart.

Quick Reply: GMG rollbar installation question