996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Turn signal switch replacement DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 05:31 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Turn signal switch replacement DIY?

I have a dead turn signal switch, I've found the "you have to replace it and it's not cheap" threads, and I've bought a new one. So I'm ready to tackle replacing it this weekend, but I haven't found a clear DIY on how exactly to go about it.

Does a DIY exist? If not, what else will I need to do beyond pulling the steering wheel off and are there any gottchas that I should be aware of?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:47 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Never mind. I found Pelican's guide. Sorry for the noise.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:01 PM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Theres a good youtube vid onit too...watch it first
Old 06-20-2013, 08:52 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CDLVancouver
Theres a good youtube vid onit too...watch it first
I have the same issue. I tried youtube and can't find the vid. Do you have the link Much appreciated...
Old 06-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Search YouTube under user name 996london. I can't post the link from my iPad.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:49 PM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Ya sorry cant post from my phone either. I think it was 996/986 indicator replacement
Old 06-20-2013, 11:39 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Is this what you werte looking for?

and after watching that GNAT, rather you than me lol.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:38 AM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Yup thats it
Old 06-21-2013, 10:24 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
and after watching that GNAT, rather you than me lol.
Thanks for that. That's a pretty easy DIY, though I will admit that the first time I took off a steering wheel I was pretty intimidated myself. As everyone always suggests, the trick is to mark the column/wheel so you get it back on correctly and aren't driving with your wheel at an angle

The only question left is if I do the right thing and disconnect the battery like you are supposed to, or just jump in and disconnect the airbag like I usually do...
Old 06-21-2013, 06:05 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

OK. I need some help. The above video says it's a T30 torx (0:31) that is needed to remove the airbag bolts, but Pelican says it is a T27 that is needed.

My problem is that the T30 driver is too long to get in there and the driver bits I have are too short to get to the bolt when they are in a socket driver (the socket is too big to fit in the hole).

So before I go buy a new tool that will work, does anyone know which DIY is correct for the size I need?

If it makes a difference, this is a 4 spoke wheel with a full leather interior (the leather wraps into the hole so I know that isn't helping me any here).
Old 06-21-2013, 08:28 PM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Lol...one side on mine was a t30 and the other was a t29. Ask how long it took me to figure that one out (hint: just minutes before i doused the fuggn car in gas and set it ablaze)
Old 06-21-2013, 08:31 PM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Originally Posted by CDLVancouver
Lol...one side on mine was a t30 and the other was a t29. Ask how long it took me to figure that one out (hint: just minutes before i doused the fuggn car in gas and set it ablaze)
Sorry meant t27
Old 06-21-2013, 10:57 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Why does that not really surprise me

I'm sure there is a very German reason they did that
Old 06-22-2013, 04:22 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found a ratcheting screwdriver kit at Home Depot (husky I think) will all the torq bits plus others for $10. The driver handle itself extends in/ out .. And at its shortest position fit perfectly behind the wheel. No problem getting screws out. .., actually more of issue getting them back in ! But with a bit of fidling ok. The video is good .. But pay good attention on where to mark wheel position before you take it off ...it was hard to see my mark on the column when I came to put it on again. Also mark depth of switch carefully as the show and when you put new switch on make sure it is same depth
Old 06-22-2013, 05:28 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by targa996
I found a ratcheting screwdriver kit at Home Depot
I picked up a Craftsman set that had a 30 and 27 (as well as others) in a pocket knife setup (e.g. they fold out) that worked great. I swear I used the 27 to get them out, but it took the 30 to get them back in...

actually more of issue getting them back in
Yeah I spent 20 minutes trying to get the damn things to bite and tighten up. Turned out I was going the wrong way most of the time

Of course as I'm putting my tools away I found that I missed the compression washer that goes under the steering column bolt, so I had to go through it all again (went much faster though).

But pay good attention on where to mark wheel position before you take it off ...it was hard to see my mark on the column when I came to put it on again.
The column marked fine, but my marker didn't want to mark the wheel itself. Luckily it was a very fine tip and left a clear enough mark in the grease that was on there (and preventing the marking).

Also mark depth of switch carefully as the show and when you put new switch on make sure it is same depth
Yeah, I missed that part When I took it for a test drive I was like "the stalks feel farther away". I also noticed there is a gap in part of the column trim (between the covers and the piece that sits behind the wheel. So I'll have to take it all apart to get that fixed, but with the heat and humidity that is supposed to hit this area starting tomorrow, it will be a few weeks (no garage).

Everything seems happy now, but when I started it up for the test drive it said the gas was bone dry. I let it get low, but not that low and I don't recall the light even being on when I got home Thursday. I took it and filled up and it not reads almost full (getting a full tank in it is a PITA that I need to tackle next) after 9 gallons which seems right from where I last recall. Is that normal after having the battery disconnected?

The other thing is that while moving the clock spring on and off the column these things fell out (one could have come from the old switch, but the second fell out during reinstallation with the old switch no where around). Everything seems to work OK and no airbag light to suggest the spring is messed up. Anyone have any idea what these are from?

Quick Reply: Turn signal switch replacement DIY?