996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Help With Disabling the Door Chime.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 599 Posts
Default Help With Disabling the Door Chime.

Where is the ding-dong chime transducer located in the dash?

This is the one that sounds when you leave your key in the car's ignition, fail to engage your seatbelt while moving, and other nuisances.

I need a way to disconnect it as it has malfunctioned and chimes while driving.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:47 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Does it mention anything in the fuse panel by your left foot. I found a fuse chart booklet in mine. Don't know if anything is mentioned as to what fuse line it is on. You could let it ring and try pulling fuses to find the circuit at least. It may help. But more than likely something else will be governed by that fuse so not a good idea to leave it out.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Does it mention anything in the fuse panel by your left foot. I found a fuse chart booklet in mine. Don't know if anything is mentioned as to what fuse line it is on. You could let it ring and try pulling fuses to find the circuit at least. It may help. But more than likely something else will be governed by that fuse so not a good idea to leave it out.
Agreed. That is why I would rather physically disconnect the transducer.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:42 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Are you sure that it isn't the speed alert?
Old 06-16-2013, 12:31 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fpb111
Are you sure that it isn't the speed alert?
Yes.

First, the speed alert just chimes once and produces a symbol in the tach.

Second, I can turn the speed alert on and off and set the speed to whatever I want. It works as you expect it.

The problem I have is when I reach ≥71 mph the chime goes off and it sounds just like when you turn off the engine and leave the key in the ignition and then open the door. It's a constant bong, bong, bong, and will not stop until you slow down to < 68 mph.

I assume the computer has gone bad, but I need to disable the chime for a trip tomorrow and get it fixed when I return.

This is what happens when you cram more and more stupid computer functions into a car and something fails.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

The answer to my own question, the transducer is located inside the instrument cluster itself.

I did not bother dismantling the cluster as it was further than I wanted to go at this time. I imagine that it is integrated into a PC board or some other component since these cars are now made as economically as possible.

Given that I guess I will go back to the root cause and replace the offending computer unit.

Thanks to those that have responded.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:51 PM
VA951
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I just replaced my instrument cluster binnacle, went from vinyl to leather. To do that you have to swap out the instrument cluster, not very difficult.
I noticed that on the back of the cluster there looked like a chime but i did not look closer. If that is what it is you should be able to remove or disable it.

Quick Reply: Help With Disabling the Door Chime.