Sponsored by:

Wheel offset and Aerodynamics

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 08:10 PM
jeffc911
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheel offset and Aerodynamics

I searched this forum but didn't see posts related to this topic.
I just recently purchased a set of wheels that fill the fenders very well, but also move out just a bit more than I was expecting them to. As a result I have been analyzing them with every familiar roads and turns at different speeds.
Today I was traveling well over the posted speed limit on a highway and noticed more effects from the wind than I had noticed before fitting the car with these wheels.
I have been driving with stock 7.5x18 on the front and 10x18 on the rear for several years.
The car is a 99 C4 with an M030 ROW suspension.
Has anyone ever noticed if their aerodynamics were effected after pushing the front wheels out this far?
This may all be my imagination as the wind was a bit high today.
Any racers want to chime-in with "before and after" studies they might have conducted?

The photo of the driver's side is a 'before image' and the passenger side is an 'after'.

Thanks a bunch.

Jeff C.
Attached Images    
Old 06-13-2013, 09:11 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You didn't notice aero differences, the tires have a bigger contact patch, so you don't fit in the 'grooves' of the road as easily and the car will be pulled in and out of them.

There is a little negative effect of aero from wheels sticking out that much, but I doubt you will notice it at all unless you're doing high speed runs (note bonneville salt flat cars with moon hubcaps for aero).

Here are turbo wheels on my c2:

I like the stance of the wheels. Do you have a side profile picture?
Old 06-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Also, if the offset moved, it can effect the suspension geometry and THAT can make the car handle different. The wider tires will make more noise too.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,471 Likes on 810 Posts

You're feeling the effects of different tires/wheel size/looking for a difference, your aero was not affected.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:47 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
You're feeling the effects of different tires/wheel size/looking for a difference, your aero was not affected.
Interesting to note though that cars like BMW's go the extra mile to address the aero in and around the tires on most modern models. If you look underneath, most of them have a flap to deal with these kind of issues, hence the "ultimate driving machine", haha.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
Interesting to note though that cars like BMW's go the extra mile to address the aero in and around the tires on most modern models. If you look underneath, most of them have a flap to deal with these kind of issues, hence the "ultimate driving machine", haha.
You sure you're not looking at brake ducts? My Boxster has these small air dams ahead of the front wheel wells but they are intended to direct air to the front brakes.

Also, for BMW and similar cars the aero around the tires is important and tires should not stick out as this increases the car's frontal area, a large part of it already made up from what portion of the front tires are exposed, but just as or more important is air flow under the car.

This can affect the car's stability, fuel economy and how efficient the cooling system works and how hot the engine compartment runs, already a bigger concern for mid and rear-engine cars.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:06 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Macster
You sure you're not looking at brake ducts?
Nope, these are specifically right in front of the front tires under the front bumper. The brake ducts are integrated into the bumper cover themselves. Another thing I like about BMW's is they have a pretty sizable underbelly pan cover which also aids in the aero dept.

I like these kinds of details that BMW has thought about and incorporated on their models. Even detailed items like having the ECU getting rain data from the rain sensors for the wipers and ever so slightly activating the calipers just enough to shear off water so that you can get that instant braking in the wet, those kinds of things seems pretty slick to me.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:14 PM
thstone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without a doubt, aero is unaffected at any level that you would ever notice.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Nope, these are specifically right in front of the front tires under the front bumper. The brake ducts are integrated into the bumper cover themselves. Another thing I like about BMW's is they have a pretty sizable underbelly pan cover which also aids in the aero dept.

I like these kinds of details that BMW has thought about and incorporated on their models. Even detailed items like having the ECU getting rain data from the rain sensors for the wipers and ever so slightly activating the calipers just enough to shear off water so that you can get that instant braking in the wet, those kinds of things seems pretty slick to me.
Ok.

I note BMW is not the only automaker to think about underbody aerodynamics.

The first time I was under my new Boxster (now some years ago) I was very impressed with the attention to aerodynamics in evidence from the number of panels. Pretty much the entire underbelly is paneled with gaps at just a few places. Quite unlike the nakedness of the underbellies of my previous cars.

My Turbo has even more paneling, if that's possible, than the Boxster.

I too like this attention to detail. On one car the tech pointed out how the water drains from some part of the car were positioned with the drain tube ends cut so as to create a low pressure area at the end of the tube to help expedite water out of the drain.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:39 PM
alpine003
Banned

For any "sports" car brand or manufacturer with cars costing over 100k, I fully expect some kind of aerodynamic enhancements and R&D on their part. I was just speaking to the fact that most non sports cars have been generally open underneath with the exception of a few, like BMWs that have paid attention to these kinds of details.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:18 PM
jeffc911
Intermediate

I don't have a side photo. Just the one in the original post.
I wasn't thinking the wheel width would cause what I was feeling since I'm running the same tire width. The car was a little bit more work to keep it positioned than before. In town at 60mph and lower, no ill effects. Just a solid, sticky car. But at 90+ things change.
Maybe the car needs a different alignment since the wheels are wider and have moved out? I know the front track width increased with the 8.5 wheels but I'm not exactly sure how much. I'll get the numbers a compare later today.
Jeff C.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:28 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by jeffc911
In town at 60mph and lower, no ill effects. Just a solid, sticky car. But at 90+ things change.
Jeff C.
When's the last time you got an alignment or your alignment checked? Things tend to get amplified at higher speeds, especially coupled with wider tire/wheel combo due to the increased contact patch. If you have worn bushings, that can also be felt at higher speeds as well.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:57 PM
jeffc911
Intermediate

Whoa. Last alignment was about 15k miles ago.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:45 PM
Niceguyeddie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to agree with the recoendation of alignment. I changed over from a stock 17 inch, 45 offset to a 18 inch 55 offset in the rear and there is a lot of difference, some good, some bad. I have not tried driving any faster than 110 because i want to get a good alignment done. As for now, the tires are not wearing funny, so its been a non-issue.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:20 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Till they stop working and you find yourself bent over the service writers table.

Quick Reply: Wheel offset and Aerodynamics