Sponsored by:

Single vs. Double DIN and other thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 12:18 PM
thedugger1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single vs. Double DIN and other thoughts

I have two ideas that I would like to run by you guys. I currently have the CDR 220, but it's a little beat up at this point, and while I like the factory look, I just think the functionality sucks (I expect more from the Germans!).

Option 1:

Single DIN and install the GT3 Console delete.

Option 2:

Double DIN and move the climate control to lower console.

This is for a 99 C2, Artic Silver over Metropol Blue full leather.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:27 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally I am not found of the double din, only because I am not a fan of touch screens.

The PO installed a Kenwood system, and it looks great installed but its interface is extremely slow and its very distracting to try and operate while driving. And if you accidentally hit the wrong function, it takes forever to get back.

I am considering swapping it out for a quality, simple single DIN which has actual buttons that can be operated without taking my eyes off the road.

As long as you have a good GPS unit or smartphone, I would go single. These cars dont need superfluous technology to be good
Old 06-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Brett. To me, the double DIN's are just too much for my 996 cabin. I have a JVC head unit with ipod hookup, my only real requirement. GPS on the windshield and I am good to go. Now, the stock speakers and amp are no better than an old 8 track player so that is where my system really fails.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:19 PM
thedugger1
Instructor

What about your thoughts on the GT3 console delete? I don't really need any storage in the car, as I never leave anything lying around my cars (my OCD).
Old 06-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

As for the delete, I think it comes down to personal taste. It is definitely a cleaner, leaner look. I have the dual cubbies since I invariably need someplace to store something and the rear console thing is a pain to get into while driving.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:29 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll go against the grain and say that I like my double DIN touch screen a whole lot better than what the car was born with. I think that there are better choices than the JVC unit I bought, but it is still better in my view than the single din alternatives.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I really like the sound, functionality and look of my Double Din. I am glad I replaced the factory unit.
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2013, 05:02 PM
6ta1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator996
As for the delete, I think it comes down to personal taste. It is definitely a cleaner, leaner look. I have the dual cubbies since I invariably need someplace to store something and the rear console thing is a pain to get into while driving.
I have the center consol delete and never can find a place to store my phone. But still like it
Old 06-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Dennis "N" SC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I'm looking for MY04 cab. Please tell me, did you have to get a bazel, I see yours has Porsche logo. Did you change amp, speakers, like the unit? Thank you.....Dennis
Old 06-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Even though I prefer single, I must say that Gonzo's double din looks awesome!
Old 06-13-2013, 07:29 PM
thedugger1
Instructor

Gonzo911, I do like the look for your setup. It was actually your posts regarding this that got me thinking about the double DIN.

Can that back lighting be adjusted on your unit?
Old 06-13-2013, 07:40 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm mainly a driver and not a cruiser and as such, audio along with other doohickeys come as second priority over my exhaust note and other things that add up to a more engaging driving experience. I'll save the ICE for my family hauler.

With that said, I've been able to get everything I wanted in my single din Eclipse deck(5v pre out, Sirius, digital radio, Bluetooth, mp3, iPod integration, time alignment, parametric eq with adjustable slope, 3way x-overs). However I leave the radio off over 70% of the time.

I kept my lower cubby so I could have my cup holders and cubby bin to hold my phone.

Double dins are good for people that don't drive it like they stole it 100% of the time IMO.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:56 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
I really like the sound, functionality and look of my Double Din. I am glad I replaced the factory unit.
I agree, I have them installed in both my 996's. Though I do prefer the C4S system becuase it does have an old fashioned **** to adjust the volume quickly. My turbos is a pain and takes a lot more effort.

C4S

Turbo
Old 06-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis "N" SC
This is what I'm looking for MY04 cab. Please tell me, did you have to get a bazel, I see yours has Porsche logo. Did you change amp, speakers, like the unit? Thank you.....Dennis
Dennis...I did change the amp and the speakers. The OEM speakers aren't very good and I didn't realize how bad they were until I put new ones in. I had to change the amp due to the MOST system.

The bezel with the logo and the cubby shelf came from the Euro MotorSpeed store on eBay. They are great to deal with.

If you go Bluetooth for your phone, put the mic on the cross pillar right over your head and you actually have a hands free phone that the person on the other end can actually understand you (with the top up).
Old 06-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thedugger1
Gonzo911, I do like the look for your setup. It was actually your posts regarding this that got me thinking about the double DIN.

Can that back lighting be adjusted on your unit?
Yes. You can adjust both the brightness as well as the color of the display (mine is red of course). I have fun with the start up splash screen and change it every few months. There is alot of great looking Porsche logo art on the internet.

Quick Reply: Single vs. Double DIN and other thoughts