996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

GatorMobile for sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 03:30 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Very Nice...win win situation both ways. You get a nice car thundertub gets to drive it once in a while.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:20 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad everything worked out smoothly. Great purchase looks to be like a well taken cared for machine. Look forward to a few more pictures though.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:38 PM
nymart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Gator....I'm sooo jealous of those upgrades
Old 06-19-2013, 10:43 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

OK so I have to ask...how are the stock brake pads that are original?
Old 06-19-2013, 10:48 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Best I can tell Pete, really good. We had it on the track back in April and they were just fine. The car just returned from a very long road trip and they are still fine.

Mark and I have very different driving styles. He is smooth as glass whereas I am a bull in a china shop. We shall see how long they last under my foot.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Sneaky,
The front rotors and pads were completely replaced September 2012 at 89,000 miles. There was nothing wrong with them at the time and were not worn anywhere near the limit for normal street use. However, the car was going to have several DE's and several major road trips coming up after that time, so the fronts were replaced and the whole system flushed. That was 11k miles ago.
Everything was measured and checked again in April and there was inconsequential wear in front, and still 50% in the rear (96,000 miles). Two DE's and two major road trips later, I would expect them to be the same. All factory parts, pads, and fluids.

At DE I am not the kind of guy who uses ABS at every braking point. On the street, I am not the kind of guy who drives like (wishing) he was at a DE or Club Race. On the track I enjoy the speed of smooth and the proper use of momentum. On the streets here in Florida, there are few curves and most stopping is for a traffic light.

At DE, it is still a street car on street tires. I don't trailer to and from, or use track compound tires. AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY, I drive on the track with the constant knowledge that the same car that took me to the track has to take me home from the track, and therefore, nothing is expendable.

The 1000 mile drive each way to Nelson Ledges earlier this month was all interstate, so the brakes had two days off each way. LOL!

And I have no trouble running in the Instructor Group and keeping up with the Club Racer crowd. 59 DE's over the last 20 years, all of the Skip Barber schools including the 5-day for my racing license, both levels of the 2-day Porsche HPDE schools, two years racing Barber Dodges, five Brumos U Driving Schools plus two Brumos U Graduate Driving schools with Hurley Haywood, and one personal track day with Hurley at Roebling Road, has taught me a thing or two over the years about saving the machinery and still being very fast.

And I hope my next car is as DURABLE as the early Porsche 996.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:14 PM
leo993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations Gator!!! Leave town for a couple of days and look what happens. Hope to see it soon.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Leo! I definitely need to get down to see you soon.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundertub
AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY, I drive on the track with the constant knowledge that the same car that took me to the track has to take me home from the track, and therefore, nothing is expendable
Well said but the above says it all. My car too is a DD. Can't say that I am as easy on the brakes though but practice makes perfect. The tough thing to keep in mind is all the improvements make speed and speed forever changes the learning.