Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Considering a 996 purchase that will need some repairs. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013 | 12:02 AM
texredr
Advanced

Default Considering a 996 purchase that will need some repairs. Help!

I am looking at pretty low mileage (less than 25k), 2002 996 cab. Car is immaculate, but does have a couple of seal issues (probably due to low use). Want to get some quick thoughts if I should move forward, or just pass.

#1 PPI stated the crankshaft main bearing seal: main seal intermediate housing needs to be replaced. Porsche quoted a price of $2,200 to do this

#2 PPI also noted a cam housing reseal l/s at a cost of $1,250

As I understand it, #1 is simply resealing the IMS seal. Not exactly sure about number two.

Other than that, car needs a couple of other minor things, but nothing serious. This thing is at a high-end dealer and I think they are going to wholesale it if I don't buy it, so I think I can get it for a good price.

Please give me your thoughts as I will need to move fast!!! Thank you.
Old 06-05-2013 | 12:23 AM
nick49
Drifting

Prices quoted seem waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay high!

just my initial reaction.

Run, run away....................from the dealer. Unless you're a CEO, then just ante up.
Old 06-05-2013 | 12:45 AM
texredr
Advanced

Are you say, run away from the car, or just run away from the service and find someone who will do it more reasonably?
Old 06-05-2013 | 02:25 AM
joshtownsend
Banned

I think that depends on the price of the car itself. <$20k, buy it.
Old 06-05-2013 | 10:50 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
I think that depends on the price of the car itself. <$20k, buy it.
Exactly. Hard to provide an answer without knowing purchase price.

Any used Porsche is going to initially cost you money for maintenance and repairs (I always calculate at least $2K). But the issues you describe are not common and so a concern would be what else the car may need now or soon such as tires, etc. Low mileage cars often suffer from old, dry rotted tires - particularly in hot climates like Texas. Did the PPI check the date code on the tires?.

With that low of mileage on a 13 year old car you may also need to do some of the elements of a 60K service just to ward off potential problems. Finally, I would not do that much engine work and not replace the IMS bearing as a wise, preventative measure.

Bottom line - you are probably looking at $5K in repair and maintenance in the first few months of ownership. So if the price is around or under $20K, this could be a good deal - a low mile 2002 cabrio for around $25,000 all in.
Old 06-05-2013 | 01:03 PM
texredr
Advanced

Got it. Thanks for the input. Yes, the tires will likely need to be done. I just think of that is regular maintenance (although I know it is not cheap).

I hear folks say $25k for a low mileage '02 cab, but am not really seeing those prices, even after negoitation. Maybe for a 99 or 00. An '02 seems to be closer to $30k based on what I have seen across the country.

Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2013 | 01:44 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Originally Posted by texredr
An '02 seems to be closer to $30k based on what I have seen across the country.

Thanks again.
The difference is advertised prices vs. actual transaction prices. $25K would be a good negotiation goal, i.e., a good deal when all is said and done.
Old 06-05-2013 | 03:30 PM
kromdom
Drifting

my 2 cents: I would not want to start my P-car experience with repair bills. Either keep looking or pay a bit more to get a car iwith no "issues" (if budget allows).
Old 06-05-2013 | 04:18 PM
texredr
Advanced

Budget allows either way, however, my thinking is that if I am the one having the work done, I know EXACTLY what is being done. I too am not excited about a ton of repair bills, but I am still considering it. Thanks again to everyone for their input. It helps to get some perspective!
Old 06-05-2013 | 04:23 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

#1 is simply resealing the IMS seal
This would be a HUGE mistake and any dealer should know better by now.
Old 06-06-2013 | 12:50 AM
texredr
Advanced

Well, I passed on the car (it really was a pretty one).

After speaking with a Porsche mechanic that had done the PPI and my local indy mechanic, I just decided there were too many unknowns Plus, I think the price was too high. I think the dealer it going to wholesale it.

It was interesting speaking the Porsche guy. He said that they would do the IMS seal, but their shop had never done the bearing. He said they would be willing to do the bearing with the aftermarket part, but I sure wouldn't want to be a guinea pig.

In speaking with the indy guy (pretty much all he does is Porsche), he simply recommended I completely steer away from the 996. He said I should try something 2008, or later, since Porsche changed the design of the IMS at that time. I don't he realized how much those 2008/later cars are still going for, plus, I really like the look of the 996. He also said he does not think the upgraded bearing is a guarantee that there still won't be problems, but did think it was much better.

Some things to chew on. Would love to hear what everyone thinks...
Old 06-06-2013 | 11:32 AM
kromdom
Drifting

well that is one indy's opinion about the 996. perhaps chat with another?
Old 06-06-2013 | 12:10 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

In speaking with the indy guy (pretty much all he does is Porsche), he simply recommended I completely steer away from the 996.
And the hits just keep coming.
Old 06-06-2013 | 01:34 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by texredr
Well, I passed on the car (it really was a pretty one).

After speaking with a Porsche mechanic that had done the PPI and my local indy mechanic, I just decided there were too many unknowns Plus, I think the price was too high. I think the dealer it going to wholesale it.

It was interesting speaking the Porsche guy. He said that they would do the IMS seal, but their shop had never done the bearing. He said they would be willing to do the bearing with the aftermarket part, but I sure wouldn't want to be a guinea pig.

In speaking with the indy guy (pretty much all he does is Porsche), he simply recommended I completely steer away from the 996. He said I should try something 2008, or later, since Porsche changed the design of the IMS at that time. I don't he realized how much those 2008/later cars are still going for, plus, I really like the look of the 996. He also said he does not think the upgraded bearing is a guarantee that there still won't be problems, but did think it was much better.

Some things to chew on. Would love to hear what everyone thinks...
If you want the deal of a life time then steer TOWARDS the 996.. get on ebay and you will see 99 (double race bearing) C2 Convertible with 35000 on the clock for $27300..,
Old 06-06-2013 | 02:43 PM
texredr
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
If you want the deal of a life time then steer TOWARDS the 996.. get on ebay and you will see 99 (double race bearing) C2 Convertible with 35000 on the clock for $27300..,
Not seeing that one. Is it a local listing or national sale? What color is it?

Quick Reply: Considering a 996 purchase that will need some repairs. Help!