Sponsored by:

Clay bar treatment

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 07:28 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
Yeah, im sure it does...and bottled water is way more healthier to huh.. even though it comes right out of the tap in Atlanta for the most part. You keep buying it and ill keep doing it this way... again, 7 years with my old outdated clay bar and still looks new.. I swear, some of you people over think the smallest things.

as you wish my dear... but like i told someone else.. in person is the one true way to see and feel it.. of coarse... the only way to experience it would be to lose money to me like so many have done. The fastest street cars have always been been here in Texas..

The last time i looked at clay bars I caw was white and that had been some years ago..I keep this in my shop fridge when not in use.

Yellow car is a Iron block 346 CI with F1A prochagrer making 26 psi boost with a whole lot of come get you some..

Red car is a 427 CI aluminum block with a F2 cog drive at 24 psi boost...pretty much a street ride

Anything else you like to see??? I would really like to get back to the OP's topic... as its really is only fair. I was just trying to voice what i have done and has worked for me..

Does your Dad let you have your pick of these cars if you get good grades on your report card???
Old 06-19-2013, 07:32 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
^^
Awesome !

When I use clay bars, I see the dirt and toxins removed on the clay. Fold it over a few more times, then toss it. Not sure how you can keep that clay for so long??
Exactly, I would not want to chance a lil dirty $10 claybar vs a $5k respray. Maybe your trees down there don't produce the kind of sap we have?

Nice rides and yes since your roads are so long and open down there, it def helps to have that extra power. I'd have to agree on TX having some of the fastest cars. Have you done the TX mile by chance? Any numbers?

Oh, and say hi to my bud, Hennessey for me.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't keep a clay bar for more than a few hours. I ALWAYS drop it on the ground and have to break out a new one. There is a reason why I buy these things in bulk.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:08 PM
joshtownsend
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera

Does your Dad let you have your pick of these cars if you get good grades on your report card???
Man, that's a good one right there...guess you got me all figured out.. You think I can borrow your car or would the bank not like that to much??
Old 06-19-2013, 09:38 PM
joshtownsend
Banned

Originally Posted by alpine003
Exactly, I would not want to chance a lil dirty $10 claybar vs a $5k respray. Maybe your trees down there don't produce the kind of sap we have?

Nice rides and yes since your roads are so long and open down there, it def helps to have that extra power. I'd have to agree on TX having some of the fastest cars. Have you done the TX mile by chance? Any numbers?

Oh, and say hi to my bud, Hennessey for me.
I cant run the the mile, i refuse to put a gage in the vert.. A GTO I put together with a TVS2300 and 346 went 196mpg on his second pass... I'm earlier.. car made 1270 on the F1a.. it currently has a D1 now makes around 900ish.. but almost just as fast because i dot have issue with traction on the big end anymore. The last race i did was 2 races, 50 to 180 and around 140ish I got sideways both times..almost went in a wall.. so it was enoguh for me. I don't a lot of racing anymore..just the occasional runs here and there.. mostly just cruises.. here a video of a few of us just having fun..
http://player.vimeo.com/video/13836298

I don't go to the track all that much at all, the last time was here where my belt started to slip and at 6300rpms i was making 18psi and then i dropped down to 10-11 psi thru the power band all the way to 7400 where i shift..was pretty disappointed with the race, believe i went 10.4 ish and he went 10.3. You can actually see where i started to slip after second gear... car has a high 9 in it if i would get to the track more often.. but oh well..

I don't get to drive the cars like i use too, so they stay in a the shop.. trees are pretty bad but its the pollen that gets you.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:45 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Man, that's a good one right there...guess you got me all figured out.. You think I can borrow your car or would the bank not like that to much??
Banks do not own any of my cars but my wife would probably have a problem with it...
Old 06-19-2013, 10:01 PM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gator996
I can't keep a clay bar for more than a few hours. I ALWAYS drop it on the ground and have to break out a new one. There is a reason why I buy these things in bulk.
Ya im always dropping mine too...they become wheel cleaners after that. So do you really buy in bulk? If so where from? Around here all i have been able to find are the 2 bar kits with the spray bottle for $30. Dont need more spray bottles...now that i know i can clay bar in the rain!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Believe it or not, I buy mine from China. The bars are at least three times the size of the two bar kit in the stores. I buy the blue 3m and usually pay about 2 bucks a bar. The downside is that shipping is slow. I typically have enough on hand for 6 or more months. Hit up eBay and search for the 3M clay. You can always get a better price from the Chinese vendors if you just ask.

A little history of clay. For years, one company has held the international patent on clay. It is mined in Australia and then sold to Mothers, Meguiars, etc. They spec what color they want and resell under their name. I have used them all and have come to realize that clay is clay when it comes down to it.

I store mine in the fridge in summer. Otherwise it gets too gummy. I heat it up just by kneading it like dough.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:58 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Gator996
Believe it or not, I buy mine from China. The bars are at least three times the size of the two bar kit in the stores. I buy the blue 3m and usually pay about 2 bucks a bar. The downside is that shipping is slow. I typically have enough on hand for 6 or more months. Hit up eBay and search for the 3M clay. You can always get a better price from the Chinese vendors if you just ask.

A little history of clay. For years, one company has held the international patent on clay. It is mined in Australia and then sold to Mothers, Meguiars, etc. They spec what color they want and resell under their name. I have used them all and have come to realize that clay is clay when it comes down to it.

I store mine in the fridge in summer. Otherwise it gets too gummy. I heat it up just by kneading it like dough.
Oh man glad to hear about the blue 3m stuff. I bought a few bars last year but haven't really been eager to use it yet.

But isn't there two grades of clay with one type being slightly more aggressive?

Personally, I wish the 3m stuff was white or some other light color so I could gauge the dirtiness more easily.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:03 AM
alpine003
Banned

I cant run the the mile, i refuse to put a gage in the vert..

Personally if I was making anywhere close to 1k, I def want to run the mile or there wouldn't really be a point for me.

Are you having any chassis flex considering you have a vert at those power levels?

What's with the edited film showing no time at the end of the 1/4?
Old 06-20-2013, 02:25 AM
joshtownsend
Banned

Personally if I was making anywhere close to 1k, I def want to run the mile or there wouldn't really be a point for me.

Are you having any chassis flex considering you have a vert at those power levels?

What's with the edited film showing no time at the end of the 1/4?
What the point of running by yourself? Now TI is where its at.. but that's another story for another day.. If i cant race somebody at something..i get bored.

No flex... but i built it to be a street car, all 3800lbs or so.. its pretty much stock chassis with the addition of coil overs... and here another video of the run.. real time was 10.6 at 139.. Ran 10.4 at 143ish? 2 weeks prior and made a few tuning changes before the race.. just wasn't my day..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-5wEhg_JIs&feature=youtube
Old 06-20-2013, 08:28 AM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Oh man glad to hear about the blue 3m stuff. I bought a few bars last year but haven't really been eager to use it yet.

But isn't there two grades of clay with one type being slightly more aggressive?

Personally, I wish the 3m stuff was white or some other light color so I could gauge the dirtiness more easily.
It is hard to judge the aggressiveness of clay since there is no industry standard for color and grade. I find that the 3M is right in the middle and can tackle most any job that comes my way. Hopefully, once the patent runs out soon, there will be a rush to standardize the grades and colors.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:19 AM
alpine003
Banned

What the point of running by yourself?
Guys here can argue what's the point in running in a straight line?

Why is it whenever someone post a straight line time it's often followed up by some excuse? I do know that those power levels with stock chassis and tires take some skill to get right and I'm assuming you're no Tony Schumacher like most of us.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:10 PM
joshtownsend
Banned

I'm no drag racer... i actually hate the track, but it is what it is, and its 15 mins from the house. My car is a full 6 sp car..not auto.. If i could race people at a road coarse i would, but they all require a cage as well..
Old 06-20-2013, 07:34 PM
alpine003
Banned

I'm no drag racer... i actually hate the track, but it is what it is, and its 15 mins from the house. My car is a full 6 sp car..not auto.. If i could race people at a road coarse i would, but they all require a cage as well..
Yeah generally verts= power for personal street enjoyment only unless one wishes to install a cage but then it tends to ruin the lines of the vert in most cases. Fair enough...

Quick Reply: Clay bar treatment