996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Better cooling AC

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 01:00 AM
white99c2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get a chance call Porsche North Scottsdale in Arizona, they sold me a package of some type off specialty refrigerant that makes my A/C so cold it's a meat locker in my car. I think they guaranteed it would be xx degrees colder than it was and it is. I cannot remember the name of the product/service they did, call and pretend your interested and pick their brain, it works....(480) 538-3800
Old 06-04-2013, 01:02 AM
white99c2
Racer

I think this is it: http://www.icecoldenergysolutions.com/IceCOLD/Home.html
Old 06-04-2013, 01:05 AM
white99c2
Racer

Watch this: http://www.icecoldenergysolutions.co...s_IceCOLD.html
Old 06-04-2013, 12:18 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by white99c2
Another "Granatelli" product?

Reads/views like....
Old 06-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
My suggestions are not meant to be the only word but are offered with the intent to get one thinking on the subject.

There may be other limitations to more cooling. The size of evaporator may be a limiting factor if the rest of the system is performing up to par.

Before I started any serious mods to my car's A/C system I'd consult with an A/C shop and get their input. In a hot climate area like the OP is in I can't believe this issue hasn't come up before if not with Porsches with other cars.

The A/C shop might offer the opinion my suggestions are all wet and I'm ok with that. The important point is that the OP has consulted with an expert in this area and has the best info upon which to act.

I do note that my advice to make sure the existing system is in good shape, including the radiator ducts being clear of debris, was acted upon by the OP and he reported finding a lot of trash in the ducts.

While improved cooling may be psychological it may be real. I hope so. Given my experience with the A/C in both of my cars I find it hard to believe the system is not up to the demands of where the OP lives/drives.
The problem here is that even when you talk your way into a corner, you still refuse to admit being wrong and just keep trying to justify how right your suggestions were. The strategy to give so many options to a problem leaves a good chance that one of them might be close enough to it that is can be looked at as a proper diagnosis. BUT the key is not the quantity of the suggestions but the quality. Most people when they look for a solution/suggestion have no interest in having a dozen or so to choose from. One, two and maybe three at the most is what should be given. Anymore and all of a sudden the solutions become over whelming and the "client" becomes frustrated that they need to pick one. The throw everything that you can think of method can be more damaging than not to say a thing. Less is more.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:41 PM
911purist
AutoX

Apologies for radio silence, was on a long work trip outside town and didn't get the chance to respond earlier.

First of all, allow me to express an opinion with regards to responses; I honestly find it quite alright when members post a response with a number of options and suggestions, specially in a case like this when there probably hasn't been a lot of mods going into A/C systems, not the usual thing people do upgrades on I think. A response such as that sent from Macster, even though I may not implement many aspects of which may give me points to think about and 'thought starters' on areas I missed and may want to research. Lets call it brain storming, and I as a seeker for a solution, would pick and choose at my own risk and discretion. Any response is welcome in my book, and thanks to all who took the time and effort to respond.

Zapna, thats a great point, didn't occur to me before but yes I had foam blown out from the vents a while back. Your point makes a lot of sense, It must be one of the culprits. I looked into the disassembly process and I'm a little intrigued though, will do more research and dive into it.

White99c2 I like your suggestion, product looks very interesting, could help. I'm trying to find it on the market here, otherwise I'll order some online and take it on from there.

I think in summary, my task list has been outlined;
1. Radiator & condenser clean-up
2. Tinting windows
3. Fixing / replacing foam on AC vent flap
4. Researching / adding IceCold

I'll keep you all posted on results once full job has been completed. Many thanks.

Quick Reply: Better cooling AC